Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not quite sure where to put this, but we've had several applications to join the forum lately.

Actually more than I realised, J-O has approved several that I hadn't spotted. Most are Scandis, UK, D and NL.

They're very welcome and I hope very much that we see some posts from them shortly.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

A bit more about the Anton Casey debacle, here is a comment on a Financial Recruitment website: http://news.efinancialcareers.com/sg...=PD_DA_TABOOLA

It goes well with the ongoing debate about attidudes toward foreign workers and imgrant in Norway on another thread here on CVF: http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...dly-or-racists

One more comment about the Singaporean reaction to the case: http://theindependent.sg/lets-not-st...-caseys-level/
      Last edited by ombugge; February 1st, 2014, 10:29. Reason: Add link

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        Not quite sure where to put this, but we've had several applications to join the forum lately.

Actually more than I realised, J-O has approved several that I hadn't spotted. Most are Scandis, UK, D and NL.

They're very welcome and I hope very much that we see some posts from them shortly.
        I have several times wished that CVF could widen its appeal. It would add to the general interest and do us all good to have members from eastern Europe, the Latin countries and further afield. There was a Romanian member once but they soon disappeared. It would be good to be more international - it would broaden our outlook and stretch our minds to hear from others further afield about their lives and interests.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

got me some new glasses,

thank God for that,otherwise i wouldend have seen these giants in the grossery.

so pitty that it is nice to share
          best regards Thijs

Comment

You probably bought two tins - one complete one for yourself tomorrow on the way to Kleve.
            Ivy

Comment

no i just bought one can,but also a box of patato salad,4 boxes of Curryworst (4 people,4 boxes) and some other kind of Delight.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

I've been waiting to hear it. Now we are on flood alert in this area - upstream from Ellingham, a small village downstream from me. It often floods in very bad weather but we' ve never had a flood alert that I can remember.
                Ivy

Comment

i saw it last eve on tv,but i never realised that it was so worst overthere.
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

I think i remember you're some meters higher than the river, but there are a lot of your neighbours in a worry, so i keep my fingers crossed for all of them and also for you. Frightening news in radio and TV.
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thanks, Ralf. Bunga.y is surrounded by marshes on three sides, so the water table is high anyway and it doesn't take much to flood the valley. When there has been what you might call "normal" severe weather with very much rain or snow then if I drive to Beccles along the road which goes by the southern rim of the valley I see the meadows down below flooded for several miles. Those bordering the old road going out of town towards the west often flood as well. The roads are not normally affected.
                      But we have been lucky up till now because although there has been rain, rain, rain for long periods it has not been so torrential all the time as it has been elsewhere. I have, however, wondered whether there might eventually be problems as our watermeadows cannot take much extra water at the best of times. I have said somewhere before that soon after I came here there was a spell of bad weather and the river overflooded, coming up well past the staithe to about where the mill is. But, not long after, they converted the weir to a sluice so water coming downstream is well controlled by the Environment Agency. Not much anyone can do about the surplus water on the land though!
                      Yes, I'm a meter or so above the river level, so I should be alright if there was a flood. But there are a few properties lower down, as you say, and they are more or less level with the river.
                      I must go down to have a look tomorrow and see how it is.
                      Ivy

Comment

and not forget to bring the camera.
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

Yeh, yeh, yeh! OK man.
                          Ivy

Comment

the world according to the dutch and yep,...it's right

it's small,taken from facebook
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

Cheeky so-and-so! I like it. I can't read the following: bit above guerillas in South America, the island between England and America, Italy or Amsterdam. And what do V.O.C. and W.I.C. mean? Or shouldn't I ask? I love the "spare Dutch" and "spare French".
                              Ivy

Comment

made a image of the screen,a little bettter?

best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X