Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well folks , finally all booked for a christmas trip to Tromso, staying at the Clarion Collection Hotel for a week. Just realized it will be dark all day, and I have a harbour and mountains view...lol so I didn't need to go for a superior room... May not get any photos, what a pity... I am doing the northern lights trips and the reindeer sledding trip. . Any members got any advice on how the weather will be , and is anyone around to meet up with ..... . flying with Norweigan Air

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

• Seagull
      Seagull commented
      Editing a comment
      Kiki, I've answered in the thread "This is Tromsø".

• kiki42
      kiki42 commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you Cecelia, I have now been looking at the Tromso Thread to get an idea of the place.. I am looking forward to the trip and hope the weather doesn't delay any flights. I am happy with the situation of the hotel, I can go around town during the day as my trips are all for the evening.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    There has been a lot of comments on the g-captain forum about this film and the way Capt. Phillips is seen to be a hero. Apparently some of crew members is not happy with this, since he did not take heed of warnings to stay at least 600 n.miles off the coast of Somalia, but took the shortest route between Salalah and Mombasa, which put them only 250 n.miles off the coast.
    Since this was their normal run, which they did every two weeks or so, it may be surprising that the crew did not protest at the time, only after the event and when there are money and fame involved.

The other comments is mostly about the "artistic liberties" taken by the Director and the lack of maritime knowledge displayed. Skiffs approaching at 200 kts. and radar that "plings" like an asdic got a lot of comments.

This is not a Documentary about the incident, it is a drama "based on a true story", just like a lot of War movies. (Yes, there was a second World War, the rest is fantasy)
    Ok, thanks.
    I'll try to be a bit more open minded than some actual captains and 'sofa-captains' on 'g-captains forum' (then again I don't even know of that forum and so have never read it).
    Seems like some in there are prisoned/stuck or limited in the plain activity of enjoying a good movie from the world of shipping, like I am (was) when watching a movie from the aviation world.
    These movies are often, or rather always filled with stuff an aviator or aviation interested person don't recognize from real life.
    As you point out, this is not a documentary, and might I add; what would a Hollywood movie been without sounds beyond real and excessive action? Too boring for a non-expert public to go watch, I guess...
    But can't we just relax and watch a movie these days...?
    I've read the plot of this move, I've read the real story about MAERSK ALABAMA and I've seen the original recording from the videocameras of the Navy SEALS.
    Despite all this, MY reason for going to the cinema Wednesday is to watch one of my favourite actors Tom Hanks and his brilliant way of portraiting a character :-)
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I might also go to this film if time allows, after seeing the trailer at a cinema here recently. The film I was at was also “a drama based on a true story”, in that case Rush, depicting the rivalry of the F1 racing drivers James Hunt and Niki Lauda.
      As always one should note those words "based on" and expect some "artistic licence". But I do highly recommend the movie for the same reasons as Sterkoder is eagerly anticipating Captain Phillips. The actors Chris Hemsworth (Hunt) and Daniel Brühl ((Lauda) give brilliant portrayals of character. And you don’t have to be into F1 to appreciate the look, feel and sounds of the 1970’s era.

Comment

Hold on there, All I did was referring to what was said on g-captain, which is a maritime forum mainly populated by American seafarers. Here is a link: http://archive.feedblitz.com/261222/~4661682

I'm not "prisoned/stuck or limited" in any manner. I have not seen the movie, nor am I likely to do so, at least not before it is shown on TV. (I haven't been to a Cinema in years)

The crew of Maersk Alabama has sued Maersk Line, USA and the Crewing Agent, but not Capt. Phillips because they feel that they don't get the publicity and shear of the glory/money they deserve. I have no way of judging the merit of their claim, nor do I want to know.

Capt. Phillips was here in Singapore last year with another ship in the MSC fleet that had been through the waters off Somalia, but had not managed to get rid of the weapons used by the armed Guards. He was VERY adamant that the weapons had to be declared before entering the shipyard here. He did NOT want to get in the news again.
        (I did NOT meet him, I got the info from the local Agent, who had been handling his ships for many years)

Comment

Oh, I must learn to write in a different way.
          I did not have you in mind 'ombugge', but all the "sofa-captains" on 'g-captain forum'. Thought I pointed that out in my first line...??

Anyway, went to see the movie tonight, and I will only tell you all this: if you haven't been to the cinema to watch it yet, GO!!!!
          The movie was so intense, and in long sequences, I could really get the feeling of being in there with captain Phillips..., in that lifeboat. Say no more.
          The acting of Tom Hanks, specially towards the end, deserves a Oscar. What an actor!!!

I see you mention the 'pling' of the bridge radar screen 'ombugge', but the three most obvious things I noticed when we talk about lack of maritime knowledge, was the fact that the officers used aviation captain and officer golden striped epolettes and not the correct maritime ones, there was no going off duty captain to welcome the going on duty captain (Phillips), and they cast loose and sailed to sea without a pilot (which would be normal in a busy container harbour, or?).

Well, I can assure you all, these are forgotten details as soon as the movie builds up. Nobody can sit and watch this thinking about details that are wrong.

Comment

And one more thing. If the crew were pissed at captain Phillips for going too close to the Somali shore, the "radar screen" in the pirate mother boat should show different. The pirates were hunting for a big ship sailing all alone, but the ship lane was rather crowded...., as it showed on the screen left hand side. Then suddenly, they discovered a vessel (Maersk Alabama) as a single dot on the left hand side of the screen, moveing downward on the radar. As the traffic moved from north to south, shouldn't that sceen picture indicate that the Alabama was farther out in the ocean than any other vessel...?? If Phillips took a "short cut", the Alabama should show up to the left of the crowded main ship lane. Just a thought after what appears to be the reaction of captain Phillips navigation from the crew (not in the movie though).

Comment

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't seen the movie, but in reality the MA was far from any main shipping lane at time of attack. Vessels heading to/from the Red Sea would not be visible on the radar, nor would any land at that location, 240 n.mils off the Somali coast. Ships heading long the route from the Malacca or Sunda Straits to Cape of Good Hope would be much further to the East as well. Only ships heading to/from ports in East Africa and the Arabian Peninsula or the Gulf, or Pakistan, would be likely to be within radar distance at that time. Such vessels are few and far between at the best of time and even more so in 2009.

As we agreed earlier, this is not a documentary and the level of nautical knowledge is not necessarily high. To show a blank radar screen would not make for much drama.

PS> Due to the curvature of the earth, Radar range on a ship like the MA is at most 20-30 n.miles for picking up large ships, or low coast lines. (far less for a small skiff)

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              I see you are talking about a radar screen on board a Pirate Mother ship, not on the MA. In that case the radar range would likely be even less, due to the height of the radar scanner above water level.

I haven't heard or seen anything about a Mother ship being involved here. If so, they didn't do much to help their comrades when the US Navy arrived, nor does it sound like the Navy did much to chase down any mother ship. (I'm talking in real life, not in the movie)

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              A normal ship's navigation Radar has several modes of display; "North Up:, "Heading Up" and "True Motion". What is showing up on left or right side of the display depends on which mode is in use and/or heading of the ship. In most cases Heading up is used in open waters, while True motion is used when sailing in coastal waters, since that make the land "stay still" and your ship move across the screen.

As for the route followed in real life it was not a short cut, but a compromise between the shortest route, which would have been close to the Somali coast and the recommended route, which was 600 n.miles off the coast. Whether the last would have been safer can be debated, as pirate attacks has happened more than 1,000 n.miles from Somalia. The some of the crew members are behind suing Maersk, not all.

If nothing else, I'm learning a great deal about radar from this conversation.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Scarcely a breeze up here so it seems astonishing to switch on the news and hear about all the disruption of the storm in the south of England. Hope all our members from those parts are OK. Batten down the hatches and take care.

Comment

• PoloUK
                PoloUK commented
                Editing a comment
                Can you also see the tug, Doughty, in Dover harbour? She's helping the ferries in one at a time - including the new Spirit class vessels that were designed to manage a very strong crosswind. When I looked earlier, there were five in a row outside Dover, and two off Calais, all waiting for the ports to reopen. Now Delft Seaways, Dieppe Seaways and Spirit of Britain all holding off St Margarets, waiting for their turn. Calais seems OK again now. Brittany cancelled a few for this morning, and even the Red Funnels stopped a little early last night.

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't notice the tug, but even if I had I wouldn't have known what it was doing at the time, Mark. And there was only the one ferry showing so Doughty must have been doing a good job since you looked. All looks OK now, anyway.

• PoloUK
                PoloUK commented
                Editing a comment
                Well - more or less! As I look now, both DHB tugs Doughty and Dauntless are back on their pier, but Nord Pas de Calais is sitting outside the harbour (waiting for the Berlioz to leave the berth) as is Spirit of Britain. It takes them a while to get back after a disruption like this - P&O tend to run a shuttle for a while - just filling up and sending off boats as the can. Especially the two 'Spirit' class are so big they can take a huge amount in one go, and catch up time very quickly. Quite fun to watch.

I've sat off St Margarets a couple of times - not uncomfortable when they sit head to wind with the stabilisors out and carefully matched power to maintain position. It takes a very large amount of the motion out - you just get frustrated that you're so nearly home, but not!

Wow! Invasion. At this moment 10.28 GMT there are 470 guests online. 2 mins. ago there were 449.
              Ivy

Comment

There are currently 502 users online. 5 members and 497 guests.
                Most users ever online was 502 at 19:39 on November 5th, 2013.
                This is the count just now.
                Last edited by ombugge; November 9th, 2013, 06:37.

Comment

A piece of intriguing, useless information from the BBC Today programme:
                  Today, Saturday, gives us the 7th day of the week, the 9th day of the month, the 11th month of the year and the 13th year of the century. This kind of sequence will apparently not occur again until the next century.
                  'Owzat?
                  Yes, I know it only applies to countries using the BC/AD calendar.
                  Ivy

Comment

Question when you want to take a post out from advanced , how do you delete it , you may notice i had double birthday wishes by mistake ... just couldn't delete one.....

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

With the old software, Kiki, all you could do is delete the contents of the post and just write in something like "Duplicated in error". I should imagine this version is the same. But Mark may be able to delete the post itself. Oistein altered a thread's title for me not long ago - he's a moderator and can do things like that! But I'm sure Mark will help.
                      Ivy

Comment

• PoloUK
                        PoloUK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Kiki's duplicate post removed. Easy to do, but emotionally draining since always desperately keen to ensure that I've clicked 'delete post' instead of 'delete thread' which seem to be next to each other on the list!

• wherrygirl
                        wherrygirl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Emotional, desperate, yet despite it all you clicked the right bit. Bravo Mark.

What is it with you Brits and your hangup about not being part of Europe???

On BBC Wold News and other places they constantly refer to Europe as a geographical entity somewhere far removed from Great Britain (Also known as United Kingdoms, or the British Isles)
                      Last I saw you were still an appendix to the European continent and geographically part of it, together with the green island of Ireland and (more debatable) Iceland. The days of "Rule Britannia" and "The sun never sets on the British Empire" is long gone. Accept it and start to behave like what you are, a medium size European country at the fringes of the continent.

Racially the majority of the British population are also of the same stocky as in the rest of Europe, Caucasians. (Or Europeans, as seen from Asia)
                      The small differences there may be within Europe counts for nothing compared to the differences in Asia, with Russian, Japanese and Koreans in the North East, Arabs in the West and Melanesian in the East of Indonesia. China and the Indian sub-continent has more ethnic differences within them than what you find in the indigenous European population, incl. the European part of Russia.

The majority religion in Britain, as in the rest of Europe, is Christianity. Different denominations and Sects within Christianity is minor, seen from an Asian prospective.
                      Asia is where all major religions originated from, incl. Christianity.

PS> Here, in little Singapore, all races and religions are represented within an island of approx. 700 sq.km. and a population of 5.3 Mill.

Comment

• PoloUK
                        PoloUK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Today's weather: Fog in Channel. Europe isolated.

• wherrygirl
                        wherrygirl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Today's weather: Fog in Channel. Europe isolated.
                        Oh, I like it.

• yvneac
                        yvneac commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Brits invented the unworked week-end and rugby union.So we have to be greatly grateful!
                        ....even though,as rugbymen they play like nags.

All I'd say is that of the 60 million people who live in these islands, we don't all have the same view as each other! BBC World is likely to represent one of those views, but not all of them.

Incidentally I believe that Great Britain = England + Scotland + Wales; United Kingdom = England + Scotland + Wales + Northern Ireland; British Isles = UK + Ireland

No doubt Kiki will also let us know how the Channel Islands fit into this - and the Isle of Man is different again.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• ombugge
                        ombugge commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes I'm aware of what the various names/terms entail, but to many, Europeans and others, the whole thing is called simply England and the people living there English. (Less the Irish Republic maybe)

Geographical knowledge is limited in most people, especially when it comes to places in "remote areas", such as Europe seen from UK, or Asia seen from Europe, or v.v. (The further away, the less knowledge there is about other countries, peoples or cultures, in general)
                    Working...
                    X