Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone, Well i had problems signing in so I have just sorted that out hopefully . I admit i am a bit lost with the change over finding it more difficult to read..... I hope I will catch up with it all soon. kiki

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
      Hi everyone, Well i had problems signing in so I have just sorted that out hopefully . I admit i am a bit lost with the change over finding it more difficult to read..... I hope I will catch up with it all soon. kiki
      PS i am totally confused , my brain is a bit slow at taking it all in..... how do you put the lasted posts first , instead of scrolling through the old ones... HELP ..lol

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

• PoloUK
        PoloUK commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah - that is the big question. If you don't log in - i.e. visit as a guest, it behaves like we're used to. If however you log in, it takes you to the top of the right page. It seems that it's a known 'feature' of the software, and it also appears we're stuck with it for the time being! Sorry.

• kiki42
        kiki42 commented
        Editing a comment
        hi mark, just discovered how to get the latest page , the square at the top right with page number in it, I deleted what it said and put in the last page number and hey!!!!!!!!!!! sorted. quick really...

Anybody watching the Greenpeace debacle in the Russian Arctic?
      The Arctic Sunrise is under tow to Murmansk with the protester "held at gunpoint" by Russian security.

I have been watching this for a while and see similarity to the Whale Wars in the Southern Ocean. The major difference is that Greenpeace is making sure the Mothership stay outside the internationally sanctioned Restricted Zone of 500 m. from the oil installation. The "attacks" are made with their FRCs and by the eager protesters, not the ship's crew.

The media is as usual confusing Territorial Waters and Exclusive Economic Zone.
      The Arctic Sunrise is actually in International Waters, as stated by Greenpeace, while the oil installation is indeed standing on Russian soil, i.e inside their EEZ.
      The vessel is registered as a Yacht under Dutch flag and gets all legal backing from Dutch authorities, as it should be, as long as they don't break any laws governing operations on the high seas.
      Unfortunately, since Australia refused to follow International Maritime Law and age old tradition in the Tampa affair some 10 years ago, there is precedence for ignoring such minor items.
      You can ask; how would the Dutch react if some self-appointed "activists" boarded an oil installation off their coast? Or, more to the point, this happening in the USA's EEZ in the Gulf of Mexico, or off Alaska?? (What do them foreigners think they are up to???? Shoot them)

Comment

I have not seen the news story yet, but i do not blame the Russians one little bit. It is time these so called protesters were made to realise they cannot just carry on causing mayhem whenever they feel like it. Often their actions are reckless, and endanger not only their own lives, but also the lives of those around them. Oil installations are dangerous places, these 'attacks' cause, at the very least, distraction to workers who should be concentrating on other matters. If governments start to get tough, then maybe the protestors may start to think twice. But, having said that, it will probably cause them to double their efforts if they know it will attract even more media attention.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

since the change over I am amazed at the number of people looking at the site..... Where have they all come from ? we never had that many guests before.. or even members online....

Comment

I have noticed that to, kiki, certainly a lot more guests, i remember the old forum averaging a lot less than that. Also a few more members active. Maybe it was Jan-Olav's important email about the new forum that spurred a few of us on to spend more time on the forum? The new forum certainly renewed my interest.
            Last edited by Steve.B; September 22nd, 2013, 00:06.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
              The new forum certainly renewed my interest.
              Little did you know what awaited you, Steve.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                In these Concordia days I have just been "head hunted" for a job as Salvage Master.
                Could it be that Nick Sloan has had enough???

My answer; "Sorry, I'm to old for that sh*t"
                Nick must be ready to go home. I got an e-mail from another head hunter today.
                Same reply though.

Comment

With all the media attention on any job that big, i don't blame you. But very nice to know your on the wanted list, that can't be bad at all.

Comment

But very nice to know your on the wanted list, that can't be bad at all.
                    REALLY! So they've found him out at last?
                    Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                      REALLY! So they've found him at last?
                      Yes it looks like that.
                      I wonder how Nick found my contacts details???
                      Could it be through my CVF activity????

Comment

If it was, he's having more luck with the forum software than I am.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

With all the media attention on any job that big, i don't blame you. But very nice to know your on the wanted list, that can't be bad at all.
                          Maybe I should clarify here. I WAS asked about interest in a job as Salvage Master, not THEE job right now.
                          I just thought it would be fun to make a little joke here in the Chit-Chat Zone.

Actual the job in question was in Australia and I don't even know if it was any 'high profile" project, Since I'm not interested, I didn't even ask. I stick to simple jobs these days.

Beside being too old for that kind of things now, I'm no longer a member of the International Salvage Association, or have any recent experience as Salvage Master.

Sorry if I pulled someone's leg. I cannot promise that it will not happen again though.

Comment

Ombugge, I've just noted something. Actually, I never took it that you were hunted as a replacement for Nick Sloan, but for some other job. My comment at #595 - pulling your leg - was in reply to Steve when he said "you're on the wanted list" and I said "So they've found him out at last". But in your reply at #596 the word "out" in the quote is missing, thus putting quite a different complex on my joke. Did you copy/paste my bit or is the system picking and choosing what it shows????
                            Ivy

Comment

• ombugge
                              ombugge commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My handy work

No worries, ombugge, i did not think it was THE big job that is in the press at the moment, i was just saying that i don't blame you (or anyone else for that matter), for staying clear of any big job with that amount of coverage and salvage costs involved, when you have already experienced 40+ years in that line of work. I guess some would see it like the icing on the cake, but others would see it like an unwanted pain in the butt of a job!

But, it's always good to know that your reputation is such that people will coming looking for you, rather than you needing to go looking for them.

Comment

• ombugge
                              ombugge commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Twenty or so years ago I may have been interested. My experience in the Salvage business was more current then
                              I have had more job offers the last 5-6 years than when I needed jobs in the lean times of the 1990s.
                              Simple, no stress and short jobs is fine with me now.
                          Working...
                          X