Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah...., finally!!! I'm officially a 'Skipsekspert' (Ship expert), after winning a competition in an issue of the norwegian shipping magazine Maritimt Magasin
    Coffee taste good this evening!

What did I have to do to win the first prize?
    In Maritimt Magasin nr. 9/2010 I identified a picture of a vessel as "Preussen".
    This was a huge sailing ship with a sail area of 6.806 m². She was delivered in 1901, but ran ashore in Dover in 1910, and the only thing left today are some woodwork and steel plates.

"IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

We knew this all along, Big S...you are our resident undercover agent and spy when it comes to ships!

Comment

We should all collect for a donation so that our Captain can send also coffee mugs for the winners in several "Where is...?" threads.
        Sterkoder, you are lucky to have so less "Maritimt Magasin" abonnents among the CV members, you would have had a lot of competent competitors there...

By the way, how is our Captain? Is he better now after the flue? Anyone with running sms or e-mail contacts?
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
          We should all collect for a donation so that our Captain can send also coffee mugs for the winners in several "Where is...?" threads.
          Sterkoder, you are lucky to have so less "Maritimt Magasin" abonnents among the CV members, you would have had a lot of competent competitors there...

By the way, how is our Captain? Is he better now after the flue? Anyone with running sms or e-mail contacts?
          I'm not sure I would've won the coffee cup if all of you competed in the same contest, but then again...., this contest is open for all readers in Norway, Scandinavia and all over the world where there's subscribers

Our Captain is at least out of SOHO (St. Olav Hospital) and is now running "Korsfjord" between Molde and Vestnes as far as I know. One of the other ferries in that stretch, "Moldefjord", is presently drydocked at Fiskarstrand Ship Yard for whatever reason.
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS Big S on recognition of this special rank of Skipsekspert!

Comment

Good afternoon folks! I am an extremely angry individual today! Why?
              Well, that's me done with driving here until this pile of frozen white lunacy has gone!
              This morning I was taking my wife and sister to their respective work places, there are only four ways of getting there and all of them as this same one are as steep as this!

The roads at the bottom of each hill have a high volume of traffic, the 4x4 vehicle in front of me slid from a standing start right into oncoming traffic suffering the same slippery fate as those coming across us.
              At the same time this was going on a turning van coming up the hill spun around 360deg, both drivers were fortunate to still be intact and were royally shaken up!!
              It takes a lot to shake up an ex motocrosser like myself, but this shook me up quite bad! My hands shook for a long while after! Phew!
              The Council's Highways Dept won't clear them, their response to my polite request was "so what! we couldn't give a sh*t"! Charming individual who just cut me off the phone!
              The same happened last year, and you know what.... the councils response to everyone was the same! How about that for tax payers being shafted!!!!
              Needless to say the car is on the driveway, it won't be moving anytime soon!
              Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

In North Carolina I mostly park the car when it snows. I can get around fine but the odds are good that someone will bump into you and ruin the day.

Watching people at a traffic light is a favorite hobby. Try to go and the tires spin... step on the gas even more... the car slides sideways into the curb or ditch... get out, lock doors and walk away... come back tomorrow and try again.

Comment

Just so long as you, your wife and sister are OK, Paul. But by the looks of the hill in the photo it is incredible that the Council are doing nothing. It's lethal.
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Honestly Ivy, this photo doesn't really do the hills steepness justice. But thank you very much for your concern, that's the first time in my life I've been scared witless only because of having passengers go through it with me. They were a just a wee bit shaken, but okay!
                    Our towns council aren't responsible, but Lincolnshire County Council are. The Highways Dept are directly under them, but they are nothing if not abusive to talk to when problem solving.
                    Even now I am downright angry, a snow plough / gritter combo passed a line of cars stuck half way up and continued on doing nothing. A police car came past seeing the scene of vehicles spread all over and also continued on doing nothing!
                    Quite frankly I'm disappointed to say the least, any more and it wouldn't be printable!

Comment

The eastern half of the UK seems to have shut down. Edinburgh and Gatwick airports closed, schools all over the place ditto, 400 lorries stranded on the M25 (London Orbital) and I slid my way up to the town yesterday to get supplies in, then skittered my way back home laden, wondering at every step whether I'd end up sprawled on the pavement in a mess of mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, etc.
                      1st December, oh roll on summer......
                      Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                        The eastern half of the UK seems to have shut down. Edinburgh and Gatwick airports closed, schools all over the place ditto, 400 lorries stranded on the M25 (London Orbital) and I slid my way up to the town yesterday to get supplies in, then skittered my way back home laden, wondering at every step whether I'd end up sprawled on the pavement in a mess of mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, etc.
                        1st December, oh roll on summer......
                        Don't go taking chances Ivy! It's downright treacherous at the moment.
                        Apparently Northumberland is in a really bad state, they have very bad conditions up there.

I had to dig us out this morning, what a slog that was with one arm in a bad way. It had to be done though, there is getting on for 3 foot on the front garden.

There's much more on the way over the next few hours. The roads are as deep as my knees, and I'm 5ft 10".
                        It's horrible!! Get me outta here!

Comment

That is an unreal amount of snow, especially so early in the season. It's not even Christmas and I assume you are ready for winter to be finished.

Comment

Are so called "winter tires/snow tires" or studded tires at all available on the market in the UK?? Holland?? Germany??

It is kind of hilarious to watch on TV when drivers in UK and parts of USA get on icy roads every winter. Total chaos on the roads and disruption of business.
                            This will likely happen every year, several times even, at least for the next decade.

In Norway it is compulsory to use some such tires during the winter months. I don't know if it is still from/to fixed dates, which is a bit crazy, since the snow and ice doesn't necessarily come and go at the same time throughout the country, but it is compulsory to have the right tires for the conditions.
                            To hold a Norwegian drivers license it is also compulsory to learn ice driving, I believe?

If not available, maybe a business idea here?

Comment

We have now a more severe law here since today, which prescribes winter or at least M/S tires on snowy or icy roads. It costs penalty when you're driving without. Also insurance companies won't pay for your accident damage you caused with your summer tires.
                              In the Southern parts of Germany we are well used to snow and so it is no complete chaos, unless we have traffic jams because we are a couple of people more than they are in Norway. Most problems are caused by truck drivers from Eastern Europe, which are blocking the roads with their old summer tires...

We have to clean a 1,5 m path on the sidewalk in front of our houses between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m. (Sunday 9 a.m.), and if there is a bike lane on the sidewalk, we have to clean this, too!
                              If the bike lane however is marked on the street, the cleaning is under authority of the town government. And they don't have to clean bike lanes in case of snow....

Just an example...

You see we are so used to winter that we invented a lot of funny rules to shorten the winter time with lawyer activities.

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                                Are so called "winter tires/snow tires" or studded tires at all available on the market in the UK?? Holland?? Germany??
                                When I first started driving late 60's I seem to remember talk of changing over to winter tyres and even carrying snow chains in the boot. Never hear about either now. But cars were more "mechanical" then, without a little CPU under the bonnet to control things and antilock in place.

kind of hilarious to watch on TV when drivers in UK and parts of USA get on icy roads every winter. Total chaos on the roads and disruption of business.
                                Absolutely. Then the usual inquest on why we aren't prepared and what must be done. Followed by a repeat performance the following bad year.

In Norway it is compulsory to use some such tires during the winter months. I don't know if it is still from/to fixed dates, which is a bit crazy, since the snow and ice doesn't necessarily come and go at the same time throughout the country, but it is compulsory to have the right tires for the conditions.
                                There's certainly nothing in the UK to compel people to change tyres,

To hold a Norwegian drivers license it is also compulsory to learn ice driving, I believe?
                                In the UK, driving on ice training is not requirement for a licence. You can take courses on the skid pan, but it is voluntary. I saw a notice advertising it only recently, and wondered whether I should try it. When working, and many years ago, the roads between my town and Norwich where I then worked, about half-an-hour's drive away, were never treated, and black ice was commonplace in the winter. I learned to go carefully pretty quickly.
                                In my first winter after passing the test we had exceptionally bad weather, heavy snow, untreated roads, cars churning it up into ridges which then froze overnight and I had to get to my school in Lowestoft with two pupils as passengers. I made both sets of parents aware that I had only recently passed my test and had never yet driven in these conditions, but both had sublime confidence in entrusting their girls to me.
                                In actual fact, I preferred that to black ice, as all that happened was that the car wobbled from ridge-top to furrow and progress was slow, darned hard work, in fact.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X