Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kelly (my wife) and I just got back to our apartment in Amsterdam after a great day spent with CV members Janihudi and Wesley. My first ever scheduled meeting with CV members. They drove up to Amsterdam this morning and picked us up in the city and took us (OK, that part was for me) around Amsterdam's harbor and out to the locks. Then they found a good selection of traditional windmills for Kelly so we could leave Holland saying we had seen the windmills (that part was mostly for Kelly, though I really liked seing the countryside). Early in the day Janihudi was able to talk our way onto a tug base so we could get an up close look at the harbor tugs and at the end of the day we got some photos of Queen Elizabeth as she prepared to leave port. It's a shame she did not leave before dark.

As we sit eating dinner Kelly kelly kept laughing quietly to herself about the three of us (pPilotdane, Janihudi and Wesley) rolling out of the car every time we stopped with camera in hand. We did make a joke of it one time with the three of us standing in a circle taking pictures of each other. It was a fun day and a good introduction into the non-tourist side of the Netherlands.

Comment

Hooray!! How wonderful for CV family to get together!!!! Can't wait to see the photos!

Comment

we (wesley and i) had a great day today,when after a few months of planning (how ,where, when and what) we finaly meet each other.
        after picking them up under a bridge (no they aint homeless ) we drove to the port of Amsterdam looking for places and big ships.
        the further we went west,the bigger they are.
        at the tug base we where invited inside to see on there computer what wil come or go in the next hours,and show us some spotplaces.

last week the ''sinterklaas'' asked me to take something with me to Dale and Kelly when they visit us,not knowing what sinterklaas is.
        so i said thats oke and later that week sinterklaas helpers had stuff my shoes full with sweets.
        without singing or putting bread or a carrot in my shoe for his horse.

after the locks and ijmuiden harber we had a late luch we take the care ferry to the other side for the mills.
        when i had found one (i;m a tourist also in that area) i had send them into grasland with a lot of sheepshit we came to a mill that was closed.
        gooing back to the same shit and mud into the car and get lost.
        when we came in Zaandijk at the mills and souvenirs shop i made images in oversized cloths rush back in the car and try to see the Queen before it was to dark.

it was cold today(,but hot in the car), but dry and lightly foggy,hope for better for thuesday,when we make Rotterdam unsafe.

looking forward to it.
        but most gif my vocal cords?? some rest now,as wel of my brean.
        thinking where to go, what to see,how to drive there,translating it in english ,saying what is what, and not to drive over anyone
        best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
          Hooray!! How wonderful for CV family to get together!!!! Can't wait to see the photos!
          i will wait at dane's images,but is was cold,and the snackbar we had our lunch was very smal,i could had beter taken the other one,but not sure if it was open.

maybe in rotterdam
          best regards Thijs

Comment

So great to see there are more CVF members meeting in real life!!!
            I've done it a few times myself (Pakarang, Seagull, DorisH, Harald Jarl, HurtigruteMartin), and I can assure you all (as you three down in Amsterdam already knows) that it has been meetings which has enrichened my life!
            Look forward to images from your meeting, either here or in any other thread.
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

yes it was great,aldo i came a few times in troubble with the language.
              but it was also nice to here Kelly say some duth words.

suchs a pitty that i coulded her so far to eat a herring on the dutch way.

most of my images will come in the netherlands travel advise,the ships images in there own thread.

maybe with al those cv members meetings, it is time for a meetings thread.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

Okay! Snow watch!!
                What's it like where you are!

Checklist:
                How deep?..........3" / 76mm No change from yesterday
                Windy?...............No
                Icy?...................Yes, and untreated
                Freezing?...........Yes -3, and dropping
                Fed up with it?....Yes, two days in and had enough!
                Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

aldo i came a few times in troubble with the language.
                  Oh, don't worry..., I'm sure all around you understood perfectly what you ment.

Even though I belive myself I write understandable english, I'm sure many who hear me speak laugh themselves into sleep at night

This is also a huge advantage with CVF. We all get better and better when it comes to the english language.

Comment

Checklist:
                    How deep?..........Barely measureable, but a thin white layer on ground
                    Windy?...............Not particularly. Breeze, maybe, from east
                    Icy?...................Now we're talking! Coldest November in years, 20cm on lakes
                    Freezing?............Oh yes
                    Fed up with it?.....You bet! If I could go somewhere warm I would. Egypt sounds tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      Oh, don't worry..., I'm sure all around you understood perfectly what you ment.

Even though I belive myself I write understandable english, I'm sure many who hear me speak laugh themselves into sleep at night

This is also a huge advantage with CVF. We all get better and better when it comes to the english language.
                      Aha Sterkoder! We understood each quite well new years eve..... that was a miracle as we were both erm' a little worse for wear! lol
                      Funny though, my wife is Swedish and she writes and talks better english than I do.
                      Although I've been lazy over the last several years with my Swedish, I've gone from quite good to not so good. But funny enough, if I have to talk in Swedish I can still make myself understood if I have to with a person in front of me. I've never figured out why or how that works! Maybe desperation! lol
                      My grammatik can be a little mixed up, also my understanding of vowels. But I should start learning again.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
                        ....Whatcha' reckon!....
                        Reckon the piccy shouldn’t really be in with chit-chat and so have made it smaller, its reprieve from being deleted altogether being due to it having some relevance to Snow Watch – namely to report that the nice blue sky soon became cloudy! Not actually snowing at the moment, but I bet it does overnight.
                        Here’s the checklist for Edinburgh :
                        Checklist:
                        How deep?..........7 inches/177mm
                        Windy?...............No, unusually for these parts!
                        Icy?...................no
                        Freezing?............-0.4C
                        Fed up with it?.....I’ll tell you tomorrow when I’ve been out further than sticking my arm outside the door to stick a ruler in the snow!

Ah, I spoke too soon – it is now starting to snow . . .

Comment

Oooooer'! Seagull, -0.4. Now that's a better temperature, it only snowed the once in the early hours of Saturday morning but it's become compact ice. It doesn't help that with our town in two halves, the top half and the bottom half are divided by three very steep hill roads and haven't been gritted. It makes it dangerous to go down or up them, especially if someone has cause to break (and they do!) or slow down.... it's an aaaaaaargh! moment.

I'm with you Sterkoder, I want warm weather, 25deg will be just fine. I'm all for trying a few months in the Bahamas. Oh if only! lol

Comment

Here's the smart-a$s report you've all been waiting for....

Checklist:
                            How deep?..........*mind drifting toward the gutter*
                            Windy?...............Only occasionally-but enough to make you think "why didn't I put on a damn coat" when you take the dog outside.
                            Icy?...................hahahahaha--they only ice we are familiar with is the stuff in the ice maker......
                            Freezing?...........nope...+10c
                            Fed up with it?....just wish it would make up it's damn mind. It was +27c two days ago, and is supposed to be +1c on Wednesday. Fish or cut bait, Mother Nature!

Comment

Morning update: need a longer ruler!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                                Morning update: need a longer ruler!
                                Evening report from Singapore:
                                No snow or ice, but it has been raining most of the day. Windy at times since the NE Monsoon is here.

We have had one of the rear days where the max. temperature didn't tip 30C. The most I have seen today was 27.4C in the early afternoon. Right now (1100 PM) it is 26.2C, and the rain has stopped.

A nice change from Aalesund; -8C on last report, still clear but not much wind.
                                In Copenhagen it was -3C, windy and snowed nearly all the time we were there. (24.-27.Nov.) but it didn't really build up on the ground much.

Comment

Working...
                                X