This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CHIT-CHAT Zone

Sleepy Sunday, Sunday bus timetable...but too many ships to ignore. Yes I'm out shipspotting again...well, aprés shipspotting over a coffee right now . And must time getting back to watch F1 race on TV . THEN will start catching up....Ok, realistically that might be tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      What fun, Kiki. Do you know what you might be doing, if selected? What's the film about?
      Hi Ivy, I understand the film is a for German TV on the Love Boat theme. My son in law has been out with the crew on the hired boat, filming around the Island. He is out with them today again filming scenes at sea. I think they are still here for a few more weeks, so it depends what they need extras for. Still hoping I get chance to be in one of the shoots. I was an extra in Bergerac, and in other fims here on the Island. I understand the TV Coast had Jersey on a few weeks ago , and they are also filming another TV program to do with Britain at the moment. A lot goes on in this little Island.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
        Hello Kiki! Wow you've had SUN!!!!...enjoy. I hope you get choosen for the film.
        Yes Cecelia, Saturday was so warm I had lunch at the " Cabin " on the beach watching the Jet Ski boys out. The beach is only 5 mins from my house so that is my daily walk and sunbathing area. lol. never need to worry about lack of vitamin D !!!! Just hope I will be available if needed for the filming.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
          I was an extra in Bergerac, and in other fims here on the Island. I understand the TV Coast had Jersey on a few weeks ago , and they are also filming another TV program to do with Britain at the moment.
          Wow, I'd better ask for your autograph!
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Janihudi:
            i have the idea Cecilia that more and more the cv forum is keeping alive by less members.
            in ''older'' days there was more typing between us al with lots of fun,i dont see that much anymore.
            i thought that it was in my own mind,but there are more who think that way.
            Sterkoder:
            That's my point. It was much more fun before. Who can disagree with that...?
            This is not a seasonal "problem" since it is a long, long time since I've mentioned it the first time, and it has passed a summer, an autumn, a long black winter, a spring and now well into a new summer.
            I agree with both the above. Seagull, it is now all very different from when I first joined two years ago. So many, many times I come on at varying times of the day to find I am the only one about and there are no new posts to see - whether they are of interest to me personally or not. This is not just daytime, but evenings when it used to be crowded. I was discussing this with another member some while ago.

You say, Cecilia:
            Well that includes our Captain, and I suspect it is him you are really missing.
            Oh no, it is not that. A forum should, no - must - not depend on one person to generate the traffic of posts and discussions. At that rate it is not a forum, the old meaning of which was market or meeting place, an exchange of goods or words or ideas between many people, where anyone at any moment might put forward something new. But this does not happen as it used to, and I go away disappointed.
            But I shall continue to post, for I have several unfinished threads to carry on. One is my Oz thread. I have just learned that my own website account of my camping trip has inspired an Aussie to do a Wiki thread on Mundiwindi, on which 3 of my photos will be featured if I agree to the Creative Commons licensing. But I have other CVF threads which need attention and I will enjoy giving it - except - will anyone other than the faithful few see any of them?
            Ivy

Comment

Thanks for moving this discussion to a more appropriate thread.

I agree that the few faithful is holding down the fort. I frequently find myself alone as the only member on the forum, partly because I'm in a different time zone from most other regular members, partly because the number of really active members is very small. When I'm home I just stay logged on, whether I'm actually watching what is going on or not. (Or maybe because i'm doing something else and forget to log out )

I also agree that there are fewer posts that is interesting to me, but that doesn't mean I don't have a look first. I usually look at EVERY new post, at least if I'm home and not too busy.

"Speed posting", adulation and flattery is not my cup of tea, but I will normally read those posts too, just in case there should be a "jewel" among them.

Photography is not my thing either. Aperture, ISO and all that is outside my sphere of interest, but I do try to get a straight horizon these days and I am learning a bit about "composing an image", although I still basically "point & shoot".

I have found that my postings of things that is "different" may not be that interesting to others on CVF, but I will probably persist in doing so, since the threads I have started -or where I have been main contributor- is among the most viewed by guests on the Forum.

In conclusion; don't expect adulation on every post you make, just get on with it and enjoy the friendly atmosphere, as long as it lasts.
              Last edited by ombugge; June 25th, 2012, 18:52.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post

I agree that the few faithful is holding down the fort. I frequently find myself alone as the only member on the forum, partly because I'm in a different time zone from most other regular members, partly because the number of really active members is very small. When I'm home I just stay logged on, whether I'm actually watching what is going on or not. (Or maybe because i'm doing something else and forget to log out )

I also agree that there are fewer posts that is interesting to me, but that doesn't mean I don't have a look first. I usually look at EVERY new post, at least if I'm home and not too busy.

"Speed posting", adulation and flattery is not my cup of tea, but I will normally read those posts too, just in case there should be a "jewel" among them.

Photography is not my thing either. Aperture, ISO and all that is outside my sphere of interest, but I do try to get a straight horizon these days and I am learning a bit about "composing an image", although I still basically "point & shoot".

I have found that my postings of things that is "different" may not be that interesting to others on CVF, but I will probably persist in doing so, since the threads I have started -or where I have been main contributor- is among the most viewed by guests on the Forum.

In conclusion; don't expect adulation on every post you make, just get on with it and enjoy the friendly atmosphere, as long as it lasts.
                I usually visit the site 1 or 2 times each day, not logged in, and look at today's posts. This means I am unlikely to post a reply unless it is something I think I can contribute to and then I log in (like now)

As ombugge says,
                don't expect adulation on every post you make, just get on with it and enjoy the friendly atmosphere, as long as it lasts.
                I'm unlikely to leave a comment to say how good a photograph is, or participate in a thread that I know nothing about unless already logged in. I enjoy the photographs and the chat.

Maybe we need a 'like' button to indicate that we have read/like a photo or post for times when we don't leave a reply

Because we have spent 9 weeks in Norway without internet connection (only email) I'm sure I missed many interesting posts.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post

I agree that the few faithful is holding down the fort. ........ partly because the number of really active members is very small.
                  That is the point that has been made.

adulation and flattery is not my cup of tea,
                  Nor mine, I abhor it.
                  I hope you do, for the things I have learned since joining CVF and in particular reading your "things that are different" make up a long list.

First point, I have dealt with. Second point is the one which has been discussed, i.e. that the friendly atmosphere is nowadays engendered by a much smaller number of regulars, a fact which is greatly regretted.

And Gaelsail, oh please, not a "Like" button, please!
                  Last edited by wherrygirl; June 25th, 2012, 23:33.
                  Ivy

Comment

It would have been easier to express my mind with subtilities in french but I’d like to react upon that I read on this thread.
                    As a new member, I cannot discuss about what was CVF before but since I am with you I enjoy my trip onboard.Culturaly enriching,entertaining,always friendly;there is often something to catch.
                    My first motivation was Hurtigruten.Now,thank’s to members’ posts, I learnt more about Kristiansund,Tromso,Trondheim,Bodo (of course Suffolk and Singapore) and as a result it changed the way I look my own town I share on a thread.
                    I do like this forum BUT I don’t overlook it’s only a forum i.e a place to have rich relationships but not a place to live.Never forget that time can be a rare commodity.So considering family, friends,social life,work, hobbies etc..if members take a bit of their time to log in CVF I consider it’s quite a success.
                    Yves

Comment

Well Jersey is in the National news with the discovery of coins dating back to Julius Caesar. Not just a few, hundreds worth millions. Also we had Katie Price in town signing her new book, I thought about going into see her in real llife, but can't say I am a fan, so didn't bother.

Comment

Thank you Yvneac, for your true words. I can fully agree to your statements and will add just some own comments.
                        I feel at least a stabile amount of active members, some disappear, some are coming new up. The number of new posts, which show up at the beginning of my visits, seems similar than last year or the year before. We have no statistics available, but it is evident that especially our captain has nowadays more things in mind than just this forum, as it was before he started his work on Trondheim Fjord. That alone reduces the number of posts to nearly 50%!!! It is also remarkable, that some chats moved more and more to Facebook. So it seems useful to check in there from time to time to see what is going on. For myself i use my account there only to read, what i want to write, i post in here.
                        It is clear to understand, that some members like to post short remarks to interesting new threads or entries and some don't do that. Both is okay in my eyes, however i am happy about each comment to my posts and this is a motivation for me. I am confident that we will keep the forum alive, because our friendly community seems quite unique compared to most of the other forums. We will have quieter times also in future, while a lot of members is travelling, but we can expect after that a lot of new and thrilling reports.
                        Last edited by Ralf__; June 28th, 2012, 11:23.
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Photographed five ships today…once the fog had cleared! Now there might be a delay in posting…
                          …distraction of a major weather satellite launch tonight…
                          …and then I’m sure you understand that, whilst keeping half an eye on a Scottish tennis player, I’ll be watching motor racing on TV all weekend. It’s the British Grand Prix! Remember to cheer for the Red Bull drivers – in support of the Wings for Life Spinal Cord Research Foundation, their cars have a special livery made up of lots of photos of folk who have contributed to the charity, and my and Lady E’s photos are amongst them!

Comment

Delay in photo processing due to another day of VIRTUAL (and therefore DRY!!!!) motor sport at Silverstone ...but a day off from keeping in touch with tennis as Scotland rejoices in their Andy being the first Brit to reach the Wimbledon final for 74 years.

Comment

ALMOST ought to have posted in Seagull away a while!!!!....I'm still here in virtual Silverstone!...two hour build up to the F1 race just started, but I've been enjoying the GP2 and GP3 already...

Comment

The race is imminent and no contact with Lady E yet... .overslept??... Coffee catastrophe??...anyway we are supporting the Red Bull team this weekend with our piccies actually on the cars in support of spinal injuries charity...

Comment

Working...
                                X