This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CHIT-CHAT Zone

You know, seriously, we attach too much importance to the year or the decade we have reached. Yes, if you compare a 90-year-old with a 9 year-old the difference is only too obvious. But for that 90-year-old to have reached that far, the ageing process has been microsecond by microsecond, so gradual. They did not go on throughout the year on a plateau physically, mentally and spiritually then suddenly on entering a new year/decade Wham! Everything changes into another gear, shifts down a bit in capabilities or whatever the fear of ageing means to the individual.
    Yes, there are the obvious physical stages in men and women that mark a certain point in life and remind us of our approximate position, but I'm not referring to that.
    The only thing I notice is that I get backache sooner than I used to when digging the Patch, and, yeh, yeh, Thijs, you think about the walking, but because of my silly feet I have always been like that, never able to walk far without foot and leg-ache. The rest of me could carry on quite happily!
    So let's just not worry. Life is for living.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      And the alternative is unthinkable, until it inevitably happens.
      As long as you have your faculties about you, it is a life worth living. Otherwise?? I'm not too sure.
      But who knows what is going on within the head of a person when there is no longer a clear mind. Maybe that is the ultimate happiness????

Comment

The ultimate happiness? It is difficult, in fact impossible to know for sure what goes on in anyone's mind. But where that mind is not a clear one, then while with some there may be happiness, I would say - from experience with two very different people - that with others there is torment.
        But then one could go on to the realm of those with physical problems, for whom life is a struggle, but this is not the place to go into that.
        My remarks in my previous posts were directed at the general dismay of so many people at the mere thought of the years piling up.
        Last edited by wherrygirl; May 26th, 2012, 20:10.
        Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          And the alternative is unthinkable, until it inevitably happens.
          As long as you have your faculties about you, it is a life worth living. Otherwise?? I'm not too sure.
          But who knows what is going on within the head of a person when there is no longer a clear mind. Maybe that is the ultimate happiness????
          the docters said to us;it's harder (more diffecult) for the family ,than for the patient.
          they don't know a other life,this is there life,and they are living it that way.
          but for the family it's hard to see that your parent (s) or partner is slipping away.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

The only thing I notice is that I get backache sooner than I used to when digging the Patch, and, yeh, yeh, Thijs, you think about the walking, but because of my silly feet I have always been like that, never able to walk far without foot and leg-ache. The rest of me could carry on quite happily!
            it wassn't about your silly feeti was wurrieng about,but the kind of shoes you was waering
            best regards Thijs

Comment

I've worn Scholls since the late 60's - have always worn them on holiday even to Iceland. The one place I did not wear them was in the outback in Oz. I do very occasionally wear ordinary shoes, though.
              Last edited by wherrygirl; May 26th, 2012, 23:29.
              Ivy

Comment

I've worn Scholls since the late 60's - have always worn them on holiday even to Iceland. The one place I did not wear them was in the outback in Oz. I do very occasionally wear ordinary shoes, though.
                Crikey Ivy!!!!!!…. …and there’s an eeekkkk smiley somewhere!!!!!!!!….

Well…apart from house slippers, these are my two pairs of shoes…
                I do have a real pair of hiking boots too, but the pseudo-boot but ultra light weight Ecco shoes on the left might explain how I can go on a Norway vacation at any time of year with only hand luggage!
                …and I wear them all the time back home.

Actually their predecessors were even lighter and of slightly less hiking-boot-like appearance and I was distraught when I found they were no longer obtainable!

The other pair, also from Ecco, come into play when I want to appear SLIGHTLY more smart, but were actually purchased to go on tour in Thailand for taking shoes on and off rapidly to visit temples. VELCRO! (ok, ok Ivy…I can see you could so that with your Scholls…. )

I do still have a couple of other pairs of higher heeled strappy shoes which date from the early 80’s. Yes, I kind of expect shoes to be repairable and last nearly for EVER…but then that’s my upbringing…my Dad had a shoe repair shop!!!!!!!

Finally an quick attempt at a more artistic piccy of my old shoes…inspired by pakarang’s of his!
                Last edited by Seagull; June 13th, 2012, 10:11. Reason: ...added link

Comment

Got distracted there!!!!!!…only came here to apologise for not being around as much as I’d like …distractions galore!!!!!…for example PoloUK has convinced me that I should make a big effort to go and see the Olympic torch tomorrow and/or Thursday…

Well, we’ll see…but I HAVE been posting lots of ship pics recently!!!

EDIT added later: I made it! - here's the link.
                  Last edited by Seagull; June 19th, 2012, 08:53. Reason: ...added link

Comment

Some may have noticed that it is 30 years since the Falkland War this year.
                    Last week it was the 30th anniversary since the British took back Port Stanley, (or the "fall of Stanley" as it was called in Argentina) marking the defacto end of the war.

On that day 30 years ago I had just finished moving an Argentinian Drilling Rig off Tierra del Fuego and was having lunch in a restaurant in Rio Grande together with the Italian Rig manager and the Argentinian OIM of the rig.

The name of the restaurant was "Las Malvinas" and it had a mural on one wall depicting a map of the Falklands (known as Las Malvinas in Argentina) draped with a Blue and White banner saying; "Las Malvinas son Nuestra" (Falkland is ours)

As we were digging in, news came over the radio that Stanley had fallen and Argentina had lost the war. It got deadly quite for a while and I wondered if it was a mistake to be in a patriotic named restaurant at the time. It was one of the few restaurants in Rio Grande which served seafood, not just Beef and Mutton, so it was popular among foreigners.

There were other foreigners in the place as well, including a group of Americans Telecom experts installing a Satellite earth station, but no Brits. Luckily nobody got over excited and tried to "take revenge" right there and then.

On the flight up to Buenos Aires that same afternoon I was sitting with Capt. Carlos, the OIM from the rig. We were of cause speaking in English, when one woman jumped up and started screaming and shouting and pointing at me. Luckily Capt. Carlos managed to explain to her that I was "un Noruego" and harmless, which calmed her down.

I was back in Rio Grande many times in the next year and a half and had lunch or dinner in the Las Malvinas many times.
                    The last time I was there was in 1985, at which time the restaurant had changed management and name.

Comment

Greatly appreciated those personal reminiscences ombugge.

Comment

Hi everyone, its summer here in Jersey so beach time most days, not had time to post anything on CV. I have to make the most of the good weather, will be intouch when we have a bad day . lol

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Lucky climate of Jersey!!!!Two hundred kilometers further east in Caen, it's still november.Enjoy your nice island,Kiki but give us just a bit of your sunny sky.
                          Yves

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                            Lucky climate of Jersey!!!!Two hundred kilometers further east in Caen, it's still november.Enjoy your nice island,Kiki but give us just a bit of your sunny sky.
                            Yves
                            We are lucky here, although June has been a bit unsettled. We have a film crew here from Germany , looking for extras, so I am being considered at the moment. fingers crossed.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

What fun, Kiki. Do you know what you might be doing, if selected? What's the film about?
                              Ivy

Comment

Hello Kiki! Wow you've had SUN!!!!...enjoy. I hope you get choosen for the film.

Comment

Working...
                                X