X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CHIT-CHAT Zone

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    They are nothing like NRK, when they say NO they mean NO!!!
    Does that mean that you could see Channel 4 OK?
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
      Does that mean that you could see Channel 4 OK?
      No can do one lah!!.............................

Comment

Paul, if you see this could you clear your inbox a bit? I tried to send a message but no can do!
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I will miss the Forum for 3 weeks as i am off to Scotland for my mothers 90th Birthday, a big family gathering with all the Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren. Leaving sunny Jersey behind for the cold of the North, thats if flights are ok, as problems with fog an the UK and Jersey. will add photos of my trip when i return. Regards to all . kiki

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

It’s clear up here Christine! Hope you have a safe and pleasant flight, and an absolutely wonderful time with all your family together. Sorry I’ll be away during the days you’re across at this side of Scotland…but it will be great to see your photos later. All the best.

Comment

I saw this on BBC World News today:
              They said adding an extra portion of unprocessed red meat to someone's daily diet would increase the risk of death by 13%, of fatal cardiovascular disease by 18% and of cancer mortality by 10%. The figures for processed meat were higher, 20% for overall mortality, 21% for death from heart problems and 16% for cancer mortality.
              I was of the impression that the the "risk of death" was always 100%???
              I have NEVER heard of anybody that got out of this ALIVE!!!

Comment

Another item from BBC World News: USA is going to protest to China about their "Rear Earth" policy.
                Facts:
                - USA decided to stop their own production of Rear Earth many years ago because it was expensive and environmentally destructive. Shuts down own production and rely upon China to export rear earth cheaply/
                - China has developed to where they need a lot of Rear Earth and to worry about their own environmental problems.
                - USA accuses China of not being "co-operative" and "exploitation" for not selling their production to their competitors in the high-tech market.
                - USA tries to re-start own production, or ask other developing countries to star production of rear earth. Not so easy to do.
                Conclusion: China no good for wanting to protect their "monopoly" and their environment.
                If I haven't said it before, I will repeat it now; I don't like hypocrisy!!!

Comment

I think the only reason the USA and other countries stopped mining for themselves was because the Chinese were under-cutting the global prices drastically back in the nineties. I doubt 'environmental' reasons really came into it. I think the Chinese must realise that they have the upper hand at the moment because it will take countries like the USA a long time to get their mines functioning again.

Will be interesting to see what the Chinese do once other countries start producing again, will they once again start under-cutting the other countries?
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Oh yes it is very much an environmental issue, both in the past and in the present. Radioactive tailings and spill water is the main environmental concerns from rear earth mining and the refining process.

The Mountain Pass Mine in the US was the main supplier of rear earth from 1965 to 1995 but was shut down due to environmental concerns and tougher rules, not just falling prices due to China's increased production. It is now being re-opened to ensure secure supplies for US strategic needs.

China is now restricting mining in Inner Mongolia and introducing stricter environmental rules to curb illegal and unsafe mining. At the same time that help to bring China into the high tech industry. There is NO restrictions on export of finished products containing rear earth, or on processed magnets etc.

Australia has vast rear earth deposits, but lack refining facilities. They are therefore planning to export ore to Malaysia, where it will be processed in a new refinery under construction in Kuantan.
                    Why don't they set up the refinery in Australia and export the various high priced refined metals?? You guessed it, environmental concerns and protests in Western Australia. There is also protests in Kuantan, but who care about that??

Here is a bit from a long Wilkipedia posting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_earth_element

In early 2011, Australian mining company, Lynas, was reported to be "hurrying to finish" a US$230 million rare earth refinery on the eastern coast of Malaysia's industrial port of Kuantan. The plant would refine "slightly radioactive" ore - Lanthanide concentrate from the Mount Weld mine in Australia. The ore would be trucked to Fremantle and transported by container ship to Kuantan. However, the Malaysian authorities confirmed that as of October 2011, Lynas was not given any permit to import any rare earth ore into Malaysia. Within two years, Lynas was said to expect the refinery to be able to meet nearly a third of the world's demand for rare earth materials, not counting China."[35] The Kuantan development brought renewed attention to the Malaysian town of Bukit Merah in Perak, where a rare-earth mine operated by a Mitsubishi Chemical subsidiary, Asian Rare Earth, closed in 1992 and left continuing environmental and health concerns. In mid-2011, after protests, Malaysian government restrictions on the Lynas plant were announced. At that time, citing subscription-only Dow Jones Newswire reports, a Barrons report said the Lynas investment was $730 million, and the projected share of the global market it would fill put at "about a sixth." An independent review was initiated by Malaysian Government and UN and conducted by IAEA between 29 May and 3 June 2011 to address concerns of radioactive hazards. The IAEA team was not able to identify any non-compliance with international radiation safety standards.
                    PS> I don't think "Container Ships" will be used to ship the ore, containing anywhere from 5-8% of rear earth elements.
                    Last edited by ombugge; March 14th, 2012, 05:01.

Comment

While looking at Nordstjernen pictures by Carina in Lofotposten, I came across this article about World Championship in "topploesaking", which loosely translate to "topless toboggan": http://www.lofotposten.no/lokale_nyh...cle5975967.ece
                      Where else in the world could they arrange such a world record breaking affair than in Lofoten?

Comment

When looking at smp.no today I learnt a new Norwegian word:
                        Norge er verdsleiande på skipsutstyr. Sjølv om vi nok kunne nok fått ein og annan duppeditt billegare i andre land, er det ikkje sikkert at kvaliteten er like god, ei heller oppfølginga frå leverandør.
                        Actually, I'm not sure if I fully understand the meaning of the word, and what comes under the term "duppeditt"????

PS> The article is in Nynorsk. Is "Duppeditt" only a Nynorsk word???
                        Last edited by ombugge; March 28th, 2012, 15:52.

Comment

Still in Scotland and i cant believe the weather is so warm, I packed gloves scarfs, hats and warm woolies usually needed for March. I understand it may turn colder again at the end of the week. Not due back to Jersey till April the 3rd. Regards to all
                          Last edited by kiki42; March 28th, 2012, 21:47. Reason: added missed words

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Don't know if it's any point in starting a new thread for this, but as we've changed bedroom with our daughter, and we haven't re-decorated yet, I just started to think about what is the first thing that meet your eyes when you wake up in the morning...?
                            For me, when I lay with my head on the pillow and look past my feet, this is the self-made painting I see every morning on the wall....
                            This is a drawing I made when my daughter got her own room 12 years ago, just after her birth, and now that we parents have the room (and since we're soon closing in on 50 years), we might want to paint the walls in a different colour.
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; April 9th, 2012, 17:36.
                            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Oh, Svein, but you can't paint out that gorgeous cartoon - think of its historic value!
                              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

yeah it's a joy to open your eyes and see this,thinking ot the past years,with your doughter.
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X