This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CHIT-CHAT Zone

I suppose we are officially past the Christmas season so I can post this about Christmas, American and our guns. Well, in the USA apparently a gun is the perfect gift. In December there were more than 1.5 million gun purchase background checks. Almost half a million were in the week before Christmas and 102,222 were processed on December 23. Now, consider that in the United States you do not need a background check to purchase a gun if you hold a concealed carry permit (of which there are almost a million of us).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...Christmas.html

Boy, that makes deciding what to pack for a USA vacation difficult. How do you choose what clothes to bring? Certainly you pack for the season but you also have to decide if your gun will match your sweater or if that pistol makes you look fat. Does stainless steel or blued go better with gray wool? Do these rosewood grips bring out the blue in my eyes? Hmm we're going out for a nice dinner. Should I carry the round nose or hollow point bullets? Well, if you have to ask you're obviously a tourist.

Comment

Dane- I've messed up my keyboard again.....will I ever learn NOT to drink when on CVF?????

HoHoHo--a Merry Armed Christmas to y'all in Nawth C'alina......

I used to have a concealed carry permit (I let it expire--now that the arsenal no longer resides here) but I still had to sign for the background check the last time I bought a pistol...I think that was 2006. Did the AFT change something since then?

Now to your fashion questions. If you're concerned about the pistol making you look fat, go with a slimmer automatic in gunmetal with a black handle. My Walther PP would be a perfect example. Avoid the stainless Smith and Wesson revolver. Shiny and round- not slimming at all.

With the grey wool? I think it would depend on what holster you choose. If holster is a nice underarm model, I think the look of the stainless steel would be quite nice, but with a waist-mounted, I'd go with the blued. The stainless would pull the focus away from your shoulders.

Now I am quite fond of a rosewood handle. Maybe a touch too pink-hued, though--but it would be quite nice with blue eyes. Wait, maybe I'm thinking satinwood. I think it would depend on the crosshatching on the grip. The light and dark effect of the shadows from the carving would be lovely.

And about the dinner...hollowpoints are DEFINITELY a no-no. Overkill, if you know what I mean. No one wants to leave that much mess for the waitstaff, no matter how bad the service has been.....

Comment

I love rosewood, and have a little secretaire sort of thing made of it. A matching pistol would look fine sitting on top. But then it wouldn't be a concealed carry one, would it????
        What exactly are the conditions for the use of a concealed carry permit? I mean, is it a sort of self-protection only thing?
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
          Dear Lady C, and the rest of my CVF family,

A very happy new year to all of you, to your friends and to your family.

I apologize for not having been around lately, but for those of you in Norway, you may have noticed the extreme weather the past few weeks. It has been 2,5 very hard weeks on the ferry, but I kept the route open for the travelers despite winds gusting at 42 m/s.

I have also been busy catching up with life at home, since getting off on Monday night... and busy catching up on some well deserved sleep.

All about it will come in my year end review... in Captains Quarters (that is, if I DARE post it).....
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hi everyone, i have returned from a very hot Christmas and New Year in Australia, what happened to CV while i was away, as i had 950 emails on my return mostly from CV from July, was that a catch up of all the emails that hadn't come through before ? It has taken my all afternoon to clear them all so excuse my delay in adding some photos of Down Under till later. Wishing you all a Happy New Year and may all your dreams come true in 2012.. Kiki

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Welcome back, Kiki and a very happy 2012 to you. Yes, CVF had a big hiccup and suddenly spattered emails all over the place, having held them back for ages. Poor old you. It has settled down now but is so late sending them that you've seen the posts anyway by the time you receive the mails!
              I'm looking forward very much to seeing your photos, though I know they'll make me homesick!
              Ivy

Comment

Hello everyone, and a rather belated Happy New Years to you all on CV!
                My apologies for my absence. Too much to really go into. However, none the less, I'm still alive and kicking!
                Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

Hi there, Paul!!!! Happy new year to you, and I wich you all the best!
                  Welcome back, as you were missed!!
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                    Hi there, Paul!!!! Happy new year to you, and I wich you all the best!
                    Welcome back, as you were missed!!
                    Many thanks Sterkoder! I've missed being here too, definitely missed all you folks on here.

Comment

Paul, good to see you back - missed you. All the very best for 2012.
                      Ivy

Comment

A BIG welcome back kiki and Paul and all the very best for 2012.

Comment

Thank you very much Ivy & Seagull! I do appreciate that very much!

Comment

hey Paul welcome back you big puzzler,glad that you are alive and kicking.
                            so ready to kick some a..,in the puzzle thread?
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

Happy New Year Paul.... hope all is going well for you and that 2012 will be a good year.
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Yes, Paul, you were missed! Glad you are back!

Comment

Working...
                                X