This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CHIT-CHAT Zone

Kiki, funny you should say that, for that's what I did finally. The first time it wouldn't let me in I just logged in on the box that appeared at the top somewhere, but the following time I found the remember me bit and since then all is well. Why it forgot me the first time goodness knows, for I never log out! Many thanks.
    Keeps you on your toes, anyway, doesn't it?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Didn't know where to post this one but I found an article about cruising in a slightly different way, freighter.

http://blog.travel.sympatico.ca/2011...reighter-.html

Comment

Now, that is the sort of thing I've often thought about but never got round to. The nearest was when I took the Norfolk Line night cargo boat across to Scheveningen, Holland from Gt. Yarmouth in Norfolk, only a short drive from where I live. This was much better and quicker than going down to Harwich and across to the Hook. There were about 6 other passengers, we dined and breakfasted with the crew and it was a most leisurely and delightful experience. Getting out at Scheveningen in a soft, misty morning the Customs man in his little office greeted and welcomed me to Holland, I walked a short distance, caught the tram and soon I was in Den Haag. All so easy. Taking the Kong Olav from Bergen to Kirkenes and back was, in 1990, similar, for then the service was primarily a cargo and "bus" service run for Norwegians but also taking passengers where there was room.
        What I like, quoting from that blog, is:
        1) Life on a freighter is laid back. Expect to keep yourself entertained on the long stretches of at-sea days. The staff on board the ship are primarily concerned with running the ship, not entertaining guests. Those serious about this kind of travel should be content to watch the world float by. You're able to sit out on the deck and enjoy the communal areas of the ship. In port, you can get off the ship and explore.
        2) With so few fellow passengers and a lot of time on your hands, you'll develop a sense of camaraderie with your likeminded travel companions, which always makes a trip better.
        3) It's also a great opportunity to get insight into a huge part of what makes our world work -- commercial transportation -- which constantly goes on behind the scenes but without it our world would be a very different place.

That last one I would particularly enjoy. Every few years I've sent off for details of these trips but gone no further. Cargo or mail/supply ships would be better than container ships - better view!
        There is one snag - age. It says normally restricted to those under 80 - the usual fitness/health reasons. In a few months I'll be "past it" according to that. Maybe I've left it too late, though I'm sure I could find something somewhere - maybe just the Baltic ones. Dreams...........
        Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
          Kiki, funny you should say that, for that's what I did finally. The first time it wouldn't let me in I just logged in on the box that appeared at the top somewhere, but the following time I found the remember me bit and since then all is well. Why it forgot me the first time goodness knows, for I never log out! Many thanks.
          Keeps you on your toes, anyway, doesn't it?
          Glad it worked, i always log out . I did mention to Jan the remember me box is hidden , so hard to see it under the user name, but now i know it is there i always click on to it when signing in. Wasn't it annoying when you spent ages writing something and then it would't let you post. So far the remember me box has worked.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            The world's population has crossed the 7 billion mark....

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utenriks/ar...artid=10014865

And we keep on making more babies!

Naturally, the 7 billionth person on earth would be born in the Philippines....

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

RED ARROWS TRAGEDY

So sad to hear of another RED ARROWS pilot being killed today, and on the ground when he was ejected from the plane. So soon after the August tragedy, thoughts go out to the family.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

That was sad news to hear. A very sad year for the Red Arrows.
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Sad news! My thoughts to the next of kins...
                  Hope they don't change any plans for the Red Arrows, as the skies need'em and I don't belive any of the members sadly not with us any more nor their family would want this to end.
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I drove by RAF Scampton this morning Sterkoder, the Hawk is still in place on the runway where it happened yesterday waiting for the investigation to be carried out on it.
                    With this latest accident Lincolnshire is in a state of mourning again, even this early it seems the ejector seat is looking more than likely to be the problem.
                    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

uploading photos I have been uploading photos into my profile album from my computer. When i finished they hadn't been added to the album. I followed everything through so what have i missed out...(dunno) Need advice please

Comment

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
                        uploading photos I have been uploading photos into my profile album from my computer. When i finished they hadn't been added to the album. I followed everything through so what have i missed out...(dunno) Need advice please
                        Dear kiki,

If I understand you correctly, you uploaded photos to the member profile on this forum, am I right?

If that is the case, we do not currently allow uploads to the forum directly, and an outside picture-hosting site must be used.

This is a cost issue, and to keep the server load as light as possible (which is actually getting harder and harder each month with the number of posts now on CVF).
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Thank you Jan STORLI for your reply. I do my post photos from Photobucket. but thought I did my previous profile album ones from my computer. I had a blank space where my Alaska photos should go, and as it said upload i carried on. I will need to try it through Photobucket.

Comment

Having problems connecting on to threads and posts, notification says it is with the server side, and contact the web master

Comment

Yes, I had this earlier this evening, Kiki. I just said a few bad words and went and did something else. After a bit it came to its senses. I did notice at the time that there were quite a few members online and maybe they were all busy posting, giving a heavy load to the server.
                              Seems OK now. (crossed fingers).

PS Now it's just told me I've made a duplicate post! Rubbish.
                              Last edited by wherrygirl; November 21st, 2011, 00:00.
                              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                                Yes, I had this earlier this evening, Kiki. I just said a few bad words and went and did something else. After a bit it came to its senses. I did notice at the time that there were quite a few members online and maybe they were all busy posting, giving a heavy load to the server.
                                Seems OK now. (crossed fingers).

PS Now it's just told me I've made a duplicate post! Rubbish.
                                lol,, because i kept clicking my post, my photos went through twice so too many the same lol

Comment

Working...
                                X