X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos from the CVF

I have downloaded many photos successfully from the forum to my computer, but some fail completely to download.
    All I get is a white blank page.
    Does this mean they are copyrighted in a particular way and so cannot ever be downloaded?
    Just curious as there are many I would like to keep in my collection.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Well it depends on the source of them. As you know, most of the photos are actually links to other providers - for example Flickr or Photobucket. Many of those will be set up to prevent people downloading the photos to protect copyright. The Forum is really set up to display photos rather than give links for downloading.
    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I agree with Mark, there are so many different ways to link and display pictures.
      Generally all material that is available for display on the web is possible to download and save, it's just more or less complicated.

Comment

Nari, I'm sure that members were flattered when you checked with them about downloading their photos to your own "gallery", but CVF is really about sharing here photos and descriptions of what we have seen and where we have been, isn't it? It is not really intended as a source to collect from. So far we have not seen any of your own photos. Are you having difficulties joining a photo hosting site? There were several offers of help when you first joined CVF and I, for one, was looking forward to what you decided to share with us. What is the problem?
        As we explained to you when you joined, this forum cannot store all our photos on its host's servers, the available capacity and cost would be prohibitive, so we merely link our pics. to whichever host we use for storage. When we want to post one of our photos here, all we do is go to where it is hosted, click on its URL and paste that in our CVF post. At first all we see is the BBCode, but as soon as we click Post Reply, then the picture is "fetched". Similarly, when a member opens someone else's post the image is again "fetched" immediately.
        As Mark says, many hosting sites have their own methods of preventing people downloading original usable photos without permission, which is why you sometimes found only a blank page. The prohibition was working!
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Apologies if I breached something.

Comment

But it would be good if you were able to post your own pics. here instead of being able only to look at others' photos, wouldn't it? If you have problems, tell us and I'm sure someone will be able to help. We all go through this "How on earth does this %$£*&^%$£ work" phase, but eventually sort it out and here we are all posting away. Why not have a go, Nari?
            Ivy

Comment

I know uploading to some unknown "cloud" is easy for some, but there is risk involved in all the sites, according to what I have looked at online. None are secure from poaching, but some are better than others. OK, so why worry if some photos are lost, as I would only upload copies of my own. Nevertheless, I am not keen on the idea. So until someone can physically assist in changing my mind on uploading, nothing will change. I will not download any photos from CVF, having been reprimanded, and that I consider is fair enough but I did not know the rules of the forum.

Comment

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                There is a lot of scaremongery on the net, some of it just that others may have some truth to them.
                I think the worst that can happen on sites like Photobucket (which I use), or any of the reputable sites to store your photos for uploading, is that someone copy and use your photos without asking permission. As I'm not a professional photographer I don't worry too much about that. Whenever somebody have asked permission to do so, I have said; go ahead, with credit.

You can make your photos Private, which means that they can only be seen by those you designate, but if you only store photos you want to share via CVF that should not be necessary. (All my albums on Photobucket are open to free viewing, since I don't store any private pictures there anyway)

As to the picture "disappearing", that can be mitigated by backing up your photos on another secure place, like a hard drive etc.
                One thing that is annoying is that if you do any editing, or change the album where it is stored, or whatever, the photo will disappear from the forum.
                If you look at Bengt's early posts in several thread the pictures are gone from here, but I'm sure he has them safely stored somewhere.

Just don't store any compromising or embarrassing pictures anywhere.

Please don't feel reprimanded! We don't have any rules on the forum (other than 'be nice to each other whilst online'!), and I'm sure that most of us would have no problems with you downloading our photos. I'm sure you can see the train of thought though.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

No, Nari, no rule prohibits downloading from the forum and no-one reprimanded, merely pointed out our way of life in using CVF. It is such a shame that we are unable to see any of yours in return. That is the whole point of CVF, to enjoy what others show us and to share our own. Yes, in theory anyone can download from one of the host sites that we use, as Tommi said, I tried downloading one of mine and it arrived only a few KB in size. I'm anything but an expert in such matters, but I doubt whether that would be of any use to anyone from a commercial point of view. They can add it to their own photostream as if it were their own - one of our past members found that his had been so poached - but apart from fury at losing the accolades of viewers we are not injured if that happens to us. If they were to sell it and make a fortune maybe we'd have a slightly different opinion. But for my part, I can't really see that happening to any of mine .
                However, so be it.
                Ivy

Comment

What makes you think that your pictures are of such value that someone would come on the idea to poach them? (Now I really start to get curious...) The past year I have posted my very best pictures here on the forum, without thought of image theft. All images in the CVF are moreover resized to 1024 pixels, and that puts a stop to copying other than for screen view, for example to commercial exploitation
                  Last edited by Sigve; January 26th, 2015, 16:08.
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---
                  IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

OK, thanks for the responses and I do agree that I overreacted at the time - because I could not see any reason for protecting, virtually or not, photos on CVF.
                    However, I'll settle down and consider the issue, quietly.

Comment

The main question that anyone should ask themselves is: should my stuff be on line or not?
                      As soon it has been on line for a microsecond, then it can forever be considered to be able to show up when you least would expect.

Comment

Working...
                      X