X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannibalism in the RN

I have just watched a program on kuru, and one of the Europeans investigating its effects and management in PNG mentioned the fact that cannibalism existed in the RN in the 17th/18th century but there was no kuru as a result. I have looked on line for any verification but random agreements and denials abound. Anyone know for sure?

Nari

Originally posted by naripalmer View Post
    I have just watched a program on kuru, and one of the Europeans investigating its effects and management in PNG mentioned the fact that cannibalism existed in the RN in the 17th/18th century but there was no kuru as a result. I have looked on line for any verification but random agreements and denials abound. Anyone know for sure?

Nari

Sorry. What is kuku,what is PNG?what is RN? If you explain maybe I could find an answer.

Comment

• nari
      nari commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry!
      Kuru is a brain disease due to eating the brains of killed warriors, which was prevalent in Papua New Guinea (PNG) until its cause was worked out in the late 1950s-1960s. Similar but microscopically different from CJD.. RN is the Royal Navy.

• yvneac
      yvneac commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know about RN.As for French Navy the only listed cases are classified as cannibalisme de survie (survival cannibalism).The famous La Meduse comes in this category.

• nari
      nari commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks yvneac

I don't know of any specific cases of canibalisme in the Royal Navy, but rumours of such occuring even during WWII has been heard.
    A known case of canibalisme was after a air crash in the Andes in 1972 : http://natgeotv.com/uk/TRAPPED/video...e-in-the-andes

The Rockefeller disappearance in Dutch New Guinea (now West Papua) in 1961 has been documented to be a case of traditional canibalisme: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ew-Guinea.html
    At least according to The Telegraph

Last known case of canibalisme in West Papua was in 1971, when a whole Missionary family disappeared in the highlands. (Different tribe)

Comment

Working...
    X