Writing: books, articles, poetry, short stories - experiences to be shared

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing: books, articles, poetry, short stories - experiences to be shared

Hi all. Looked through the threads and didn't see one like this. This covers writing as opposed to our our late friend Paul's thread on reading. I don't want this to become a self-promotional thread for 'buy my books' so thought it could cover the creative process, what gives people their ideas, how you overcame writers block, inspiration, feedback you've had, any success, etc. Hopefully that would be of more general interest.

Currently I am engaged in writing a trilogy of young persons fantasy adventure novels. My work as a graphic designer had nigh on dried up, and I have found writing these to be extremely therapeutic and has maintained my sanity, allowing my creative thoughts to escape in a different direction. Book one was very large, perhaps too large to interest publishers, but lots is going on so would ruin the story to edit it further. Instead, I have decided to break each of the 3 books into parts 1 & 2. Book one finished, tried to interest publishers and agents last year, but a very poor time for a debut author to be trying to arouse interest through traditional routes as they want sure fire things , ie from established tried and tested authors or celebs. I had rejections and some couldn't even be bothered to reply, despite adhering fully to their submission criteria.

This year I decided to go down the e-book route and have got so far with preparing book one for uploading.

Book two also written, perhaps even stronger than one ( written with the experience of lessons learned), and almost half way through the third in the trilogy. It's the writing and research that interests me, so I have to use great discipline to force myself to do the non writing portions like contacting publishers and uploading - the very bits that I'm sure others would love, ie the stage that puts you out to your audience.

Without knowing if this is going to appeal to any crew members, I'll leave the opening post at that and await feedback. If people are interested, I have much more of my experiences to date to relate, although I realise it's not a personal blog.

Write on!

Go ahead, Paul, it is something very different and I, for one, will find it of great interest. I have a small booklet of my own which is more or less ready apart from sorting out the photos, but I am fortunate in that it was "commissioned". I began it years ago and I think they have given it up as a bad job. As it's small I'll self-publish.
    I also ran a poetry group for 24 years until I decided that enough was enough and stepped back earlier this year. I just haven't been writing poetry these days, yet I know it is there because just now and again the old urge to get something down quickly on paper makes me rush for the pen and the old feeling returns of being transported into the world of words, crafting feelings.... emotions into economical language that sings, tempts and beguiles but does not overwhelm.
    I gave up the group, however, because I found it dispiriting to be discussing the other members' work for so long without having anything of my own to offer them. They gave me a wonderful farewell lunch and presents, some wrote little poems specially and the card accompanying it all brought a lump to my throat. You do these things, but don't realise how much it all means to them, how they value what you are doing, how they look to you and appreciate you. It was very touching. They keep me in their email contact list just so that I would still in some way be part of it and urged me to pop in with a poem whenever one appears!
    I look forward to your next post, Paul, we can have some good chats.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Forgot I had started this thread! In May my computer monitor packed up and for various reasons I was without for 4 months. Usual process was to traditionally write a chapter and then edit as I typed it up. 're-read and 're-edit and finally print out to keep a hard copy version. Every time I 're-looked at it, inevitably I would do further minor tweaks. However, by being out of action, I decided to write only and eventually finished the trilogy. Huge task to key in, now. Had Dragon Dictate for my birthday but it is memory intensive and wouldn't load on an available PC laptop. Will have to persist and eventually get as ebooks and intend still pushing via publishers.

have also made a smart on next, totally different novel.

Comment

What intrigues me is how you decided upon the right spot to break each of the books into two parts, Paul. Was there any problem in finding the place where the reader would be left on the edge of their seat, eager to know what happened next and determined to get hold of the second part? It was a terrific undertaking first of all to write a trilogy, where although there would be continuity between each book each would stand alone, but then to split each book - wow!
        I think as far as editing goes, one can go on and on tweaking. But sooner or later one has to say "Right, that's it. It stands as it is."
        So the next will be totally different. Are you moving out of the fantasy adventure genre?
        Ivy

Comment

My next one does move out of fantasy adventure, but still a teen novel.

The trilogyddidn't start as a trilogy. It was a book in its own right. However, I realised I hadn't exhausted the story so resumed when characters were about 17 months older. They involve time travel to explore my storylines. First book mainly uses travel to the past so decided to use the future in book two. While writing no two, I felt I had covered many things only touched on, ie they were tormenting me to develop them and explain them further. Therefore when I felt I had completed book two I decided to let it flow into book three by ending with a 'to be continued' sort of cliffhanger. Book three defo covers all the bits I felt were undeveloped and I feel it became the strongest. Currently finalising the latest major edit on book two, using the benefit of knowing how three pans out.

Without going too far intinto detail, book one uses a particular location and book two uses its sister location. There was a third place so that sort of wrote itself. Each story is quite long so have divided the books into parts - thinking they might be more manageable for teens. So currently have seven parts.

We'll eventually see if tthere is interest. Have had 3 acquaintances read all 3 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Cobb View Post
            We'll eventually see if tthere is interest. Have had 3 acquaintances read all 3 for me.
            That has been a marathon undertaking, Paul. Readers having immersed themselves in all three books will truly feel that they have journeyed in a world completely unlike anything they have ever known. Very satisfying. Did your three readers come up with anything that made you wonder whether to change any part, or was it thumbs up all round? I hope so. Are you still intending to go for the 2-pronged attack - ebooks as well as publisher? Keep us posted and the very best of luck.
            Ivy

Comment

Working...
            X