The Nordic Countries, how are they??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Nordic Countries, how are they??

Found this article in the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...=ILCNETTXT3487

I assume this is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, or sarcasm??
    If this is going to be BBC Radio 4's Book of the Week, I hope they state that it belongs in the Comedy section, although most of the jokes wasn't all that good.
    The comments below the article is a mile long and not very sympathetic to the Author, in most parts.

PS> I don't know about you, but even the text under that first picture I think isn't sincere. The picture has been cropped in an unusual way from the "standard" picture from Aksla ??

This article teach us nothing on Scandidanavia,it contents with putting on common places.
    No scientific approach,vague badly included sociological notions,misunderstanding of the history.
    In brief:nul (useless).

Comment

But what else does one expect from newspapers these days? The whole article is a puff for his book, a "come-on" to induce people to buy, the sort of person who delights to read anything that puts others in a bad light, the dirtier and more salacious the better, whether concerning individuals or nations. Many years ago this newspaper - then called the Manchester Guardian - was a sober, factual broadsheet which reasonably intelligent people could rely upon. Articles were well constructed and opinions well reasoned so that even if you disagreed with them you could see where they were coming from and respected their stand.
      I have not taken a newspaper for years, even my very local one I only peer at in the library on occasion if someone mentions something read in it. In fact, I get the most news from my local when it is my turn to help out with recording the Three Rivers Talking Newspaper for the Blind, which I do every five weeks. Then, from the bundle of cuttings we are each given, I find out what is happening in my town and around!
      They don't even use newspapers to wrap up the fish and chips, nowadays!
      Last edited by wherrygirl; February 1st, 2014, 18:52. Reason: Had forgotten "talking " in the Three Rivers title.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

What else indeed!!!
        I think this fits in nicely with a few other threads and comments lately.

Comment

Some comments on the subject in "The Foreigner" a site with Norwegian News in English: http://theforeigner.no/pages/columns...s-imagination/
          Quite lengthy and with a string of comments below.

Comment

Working...
          X