Are Norwegians friendly or racists???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ombugge
    started a topic Are Norwegians friendly or racists???

Are Norwegians friendly or racists???

The answer to the above is probably; yes and yes.
    Most are friendly to foreigners that arrive in Norway to work and live there, less so to Refugees and Asylum seekers from outside Europe.

But a racist undertone is always there. Swedes, Danes and others that is similar are usually welcome and accepted without problems, People from Slavic and Latin countries a bit more reluctantly.

When it comes to people from outside Europe (excl. USA, Canada, Australia etc.) the attitude is more hostile. Some of this is because of different religion and some because of a generally lesser knowledge of the cultures and traditions in far away countries of the Middle East, Africa and Asia. (10 days in Pattaya or Phuket does not make much difference)

It appears to me that, even though a lot of people is against allowing all manners of foreigners to enter and settle in Norway, when it comes to those living in their midst who gets into trouble with the authorities, they get a lot of sympathy. (No, not Criminals)

Here is an article from The Local about a Romanian beggar who died in Tromso recently: http://www.thelocal.no/20140124/grateful

And another about a "Somali" (who happened to actually be from Djibouti) who had done very well for himself in Norway and assimilated well, but now may be deported back to Djibouti because he had lied on his asylum application some 11 years ago: http://www.thelocal.no/20131015/inte...being-deported

Legally it is probably correct, but is it morally and ethically correct, or even smart, to deport someone who can and will contribute to the country? This person may one day become Prime Minister in Norway, if allowed to stay and continue his political career: http://www.thelocal.no/20131015/inte...being-deported
    OK, to uphold the Law, deport him and let him apply to return to Norway legally and continue his life there, to the benefit of all.

The number of foreigners deported from Norway is not large, and of those many are deported because of having committed crimes: http://www.thelocal.no/20140127/reco...rted-by-police

But among those deportees are a number of children who has crown up there, know nothing of the country of their parents and will have problems fitting in there.
    There are also other resourceful persons, like Khalid, who lied about their origin, or age, or both, on arrival and at the behest of the traffickers who brought them there.

Norway need more young and resourceful people to fill the void after those who reach pension age.
    Why send such people out, so they can go to somewhere else, where they are welcomed with open arms, especially if they arrive with a good (and expensive) Norwegian education???

Without immigration the population of Norway will shrink. Eventually there will be more pensioners, students and people on disability than working people.
    As long as the oil and gas prices remain high Norway can survive, economically. When the Oil runs out there is the "Oil Fund", which can last another few years.
    But who is going to look after the "inmates" in the Homes for the Aged?? They cannot ALL go to Spain, can they??

• ombugge
    replied
    Not much activity here, but the subject is getting attention outside Norway: http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/un...ther-research/

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Here is an article from smp.no to prove that Norway is not rasistic: http://www.smp.no/nyheter/article10673654.ece

But hang on, isn't this about the people supposedly being discriminated against in Norway NOT being rasistic, not about ethnic Norwegian being the same???.

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    commented on 's reply
    Don't know if it helps - but of course several of our CVF stalwarts are professional or semi-pro photographers - Tom Gulbrandsen (Tom McNikon) being one good example. Tom makes clever use of social media to get his photos out in the public domain, and at CVF we benefit from having some of the most stunning photography as a result!!

• wherrygirl
    commented on 's reply
    What risks are you particularly concerned about, Nari?

• nari
    commented on 's reply
    Actually, Ivy, I have been slooowly trolling through the entire CVF. Whew. Still have a lot I've missed,for sure.
    And I have to bite the bullet and learn how to safely keep photos outside my notebook. Reading Google suggests that there are several risks
    involved with all the sites, some have much worse security than others.
    You never know - I will post a pic one day.

• wherrygirl
    replied
    Ah, Nari, don't think that CVF is all ships, seas and lands. Have a roam around CVF. I don't mean just looking down the main Index page. Open up these two forums in North Cape Lounge: 1) Photo Galleries, Rookie and Pro and 2) Photo Assignments. The first one is for an individual to set up their personal thread on absolutely anything, the second is for anyone to set up another "absolutely anything" thread where all the rest of us can join in on that particular topic. There are any number of different threads on goodness knows how many topics. When Jan-Olav set up CVF he obviously thought the sky's the limit as far as ideas go.

Leave a comment:

• nari
    commented on 's reply
    Ivy, I agree. The topic doesn't have much all to do with ships, seas and lands. How balanced are newspaper and TV accounts by a frenetic media??
    Amen.

• wherrygirl
    replied
    [QUOTE=naripalmer;n186235so we get labelled racists only wanting Caucasians here. This is simply NOT true[/QUOTE]

Not now. But don't forget that for nearly half of the last century after the establishment of the Federation, Aussie policy was definitely WASP's only. And preferably Brits, at that. Maybe that is what is in people's minds when the racist issue rears its very ugly head. There is also the other, internal, problem in Oz to which lip service has been paid.
    However, as you say, it is a complex question.
    Therefore don't let's allow it to permeate any discussion there may be on CVF about the too often desperate efforts of people to escape from intolerable conditions in their homeland. At the moment the rest of the world seems powerless to find a solution to help any of them. I, for one, can contribute nothing to a discussion because I am in comparative ignorance of the complicated issues involved in so many variable cases. I read newspaper accounts, I see or hear reports on the TV or radio. But what do I really know?

Leave a comment:

• nari
    replied
    The racist issue is world-wide. The Indonesian asylum boats were "stopped" by our government some time ago and many thought this was appropriate to stop the rising death toll from leaky boats and bad weather, as well as the sabotaging of boats by the occupants. The political issues ran hot at the time and still do.

The problem with Oz is that it is a huge country with very little arable land (about 9% is consistently arable) and outsiders do not understand this - so we get labelled racists only wanting Caucasians here. This is simply NOT true - the Asians have contributed enormously to our culture. Our farmers are battling more each year due to desertification by natural and manmade causes so finding work for ANY unskilled immigrants is not easy.
    It is a complex issue and it is not going to go away.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Though I would revive this thread with an article I found on smp.no today: http://brytningstiden.wordpress.com/...09/en-pa-gata/
    Looking forward to constructive comments.
    Last edited by ombugge; April 11th, 2014, 03:39.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Were it so, half our British MP's would now be stateless.
    That was going to be my next punch line, and with no limitation to Brits,

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied
    Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    That raises another question; What about all those who have been dishonest when filing their tax returns, or filling in their expenses claims, are they to be deported too??
    I'm surprised at you, Ombugge, you're not comparing like with like here. Would-be immigrants must show themselves as whiter than white before they can be allowed in. If not, then they will be refused entry, or - if the lie is discovered later - deportation could perhaps be the result. Legal residents who fiddle various accounts would have other penalties awaiting them and as yet, as far as I am aware in this country at least, deportation is not an option under the law. Were it so, half our British MP's would now be stateless.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    I just thought of something; Lying on an application form appears to close to a mortal sin and people like that has to be deported from the land of non-lairs.
    That raises another question; What about all those who have been dishonest when filing their tax returns, or filling in their expenses claims, are they to be deported too??

If so, I assume there will be even more need for migrants in Norway and most other so called developed countries.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    A couple more and older articles from The Foreigner.
    First about job selection by Norwegian firms: http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/sl...our-mentality/

Then about paperless workers in Norway (mostly ex asylum seekers): http://theforeigner.no/pages/news/wh...-into-trouble/

I know, I'm dropping links here to prove points I have made earlier. It is easier that way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X