Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking is probably one of the most insightful and smartest men on the whole entire planet, and most of what he says actually makes a whole lot of sense.

In the last couple of days, he warns of a possible contact with aliens... and for good reasons as well.

The aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist ó but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.

The suggestions come in a new documentary series in which Hawking, one of the worldís leading scientists, will set out his latest thinking on some of the universeís greatest mysteries.

Alien life, he will suggest, is almost certain to exist in many other parts of the universe: not just in planets, but perhaps in the centre of stars or even floating in interplanetary space.
    The rest of the story:

>>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7107207.ece

Stephen Hawking aliens alert: a premature or primative fear?

The Stephen Hawking aliens alert strikes one European scientist as premature. But speculation about extraterrestrial life is not new. It goes back to Greek philosopher Epicurus.
    The rest of the story:

>>> http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europ...primative-fear

Stephen Hawking: Aliens might hate us

I know many of you cannot wait for the day when we encounter little green people over a beer, or perhaps even turn into them.

However, one of the world's most celebrated scientific brains, Stephen Hawking, wonders whether aliens and humans really can co-exist.
    The rest of the story:

>>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20003358-71.html
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

I totally agree with Stephen Hawking about the avoidance alien contact, I have always had a train of thought that anyone who has that kind of advanced technology to come millions of light years is not coming as an equal. That's why I have never agreed with the existence of SETI, then again whenever you see scientists on the TV they always apply human standards to what is obviously so far out of range of their knowledge that it becomes so blindingly arrogant.
    Is there highly inteligent life out there? I would say yes on the premise that if we exist then so do others.
    I think also that one day scientists will one day have their world rocked when they learn to not take for granted that what they think they know as fact.... may not be fact.
    My point is that scientifically we are in our very young infancy, there is so much to learn and we must learn together. The sad fact is we'll never learn to explore outer space and other life until we as a planet work as one.... but sadly I'll never see it in my lifetime. A pity really, I'd love to know what's really out there.... don't you?
    Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

I take the opposite view. I think most of what SETI does is very beneficial. Their listening to the sky year after year may provide the earliest waning/information that "others" exist. If there is any dangerous behavior it the human race broadcasting our location and tons & tons of detailed information about ourselves out into the cosmos in every direction. Every Kanamit within a hundred light years is heading our way with their nuclear barbecue grill and the copy of "To Serve Man"

Even my posting on this forum, via my satellite Internet connection, is being beamed out into space at the speed of light. In 10 or 100 years some alien race may be reading my posts on CV.

Comment

Wether we believe in aliens or not, here is an article in Norwegian paper Dagbladet talking about how aliens might affect us:

http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/01/11/n...o/fn/15022998/

Basically, the article says that we have to be prepared for the worst (to which I agree), and that UN needs to create a department for aliens.

My comment: if they come here to us, it is probably (in my opinion) because they have starved their own planet for resources and are looking for new ways of sustaining their way of life. That might not fall good for the future of humans.

Here is the report which thea bove article is based on (in English):

Earth must prepare for close encounter with aliens, say scientists

Evolution on alien worlds is likely to be Darwinian, which may mean extraterrestrials share our tendencies for violence and exploitation.
        The detection of extra-terrestrial life and the consequences for science and society.

Any comments from our family?

Anyone of us an undercover alien?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I figured YOU for the alien....it would explain sooooooooo much 55555555555555

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post

Any comments from our family?

Anyone of us an undercover alien?
            I have my suspicions about Pilotdane.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Hey, I have not said anything in this thread for 10 months. I've been nice and quiet.

Comment

Dane's been trying very hard not to garner attention......

Comment

Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

To restart this interesting thread, I thought I'd drop in this photo that I took at 7pm today.
                  There were three of these in a triangular formation, these were flying, not floating!
                  They all banked over at around 30į, levelled up and flew straight again. The lead of the three slowed down, turned 360į and accelerated at speed in a straight line with the other two following.
                  Were they balloons? They didn't behave like any balloons that I've ever seen, they were too precise in what they did.
                  I am somewhat of a cynic for most things, but this intrigued me quite a bit.
                  Through the camera lens they just didn't look like any balloons I've ever seen.
                  So, what do you all think of it!
                  Probably is balloons... but you never know these days! And I wasn't drunk! lol

Comment

Was it a windy day? It looks like a kite. A secret alien kite.

Comment

There was a slight breeze, nothing to note really. I first thought "balloon", but I've not see a balloon look like this or fly like that.
                      But you know Dane, it was one of those odd days that you get every now and again.
                      Whooo! Thank goodness it's weekend now!

Comment

It's a flying magnet. Next time, they'll activate it and snatch us all up - most of us wear metal somewhere.
                        Accelerate at speed - balloons???? Do be sensible, young man.
                        Last edited by wherrygirl; June 25th, 2011, 19:50.
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                          It's a flying magnet. Next time, they'll activate it and snatch us all up - most of us wear metal somewhere.
                          .... I better not wear so much metal and keys any longer...

My two cents worth, it's a kite of some kind.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                            .... I better not wear so much metal and keys any longer...

My two cents worth, it's a kite of some kind.
                            Motorised, of course? Rolls-Royce engine at least.
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

This should probably go in the Picture yourself... well, Oh dear! thread for your amusement, but as it features Stephen Hawking it might just as well go here.

It was the year before last that Elizabeth and I (and Alix and AJ) had been talking about Stephen Hawking and I promised Elizabeth Iíd send her a group photo that included both myself and him! Reminded about this by Stephenís recent birthday, I have only now got around to copying the photo.

It is of the Institute of Astronomy at Cambridge University, taken in the 1970ís!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X