Pictorial tour of England

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaintsFCFan View Post
    Could the hotel you stayed in be the Magna Carta or the White Hart Hotel?
    That’s it, it was the White Hart Hotel.
    ...I will definitley be adding to this, it's like a work in progress I guess.
    I have really liked how in this and also in other threads you have shared your photos of the historic buildings like cathedrals, castles and stately homes, but have also included the smaller, largely ignored buildings that as you say are so very important. Your ongoing project to document such places in your home town and to encourage others in similar endeavours hugely impresses me.

In the context of being here on CV, as well as various “then and now” topics, I am thinking how a neglected building can so easily become a subject for Abandoned houses and properties, maybe then to be considered an “eyesore” to be demolished and perhaps replaced by an inappropriate building in the context of the townscape. (Perhaps I should add though that where a gap site occurs – and it could be through other causes than neglect, a fire for example – I would personally hope for a really good example of modern architecture to fill it rather than some poor copy or pastiche of an historical style.)

VERY good wishes for your Project.

Comment

Thank you Seagull. As we have taken the photos of our town we have uncovered all kinds of long forgotten, and sometimes purposely hidden facts.
      The eysore buildings to inappropriate buildings, the truth can sometimes be stranger than fiction. We had along our riverside some 15th century wharf buildings that were swept away without a thought, in their place are what can only be described as modern monstrosities. Only when they realised how significant the buildings were, they stopped and worked with the structures to preserve them.
      I've learned so much from exploring and photographing than I possibly could have imagined, unearthing my own family past has also proved to be an amazing journey so far. In essense, I find that my town and my family are so tightly woven together that they explain about each other. If that makes sense!
      Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

.... I find that my town and my family are so tightly woven together that they explain about each other. If that makes sense!
        It certainly does Paul. And it is a very special thing for you that I, and so many folk these days, don’t have. I remember that in some thread or other Elizabeth once affectionately remarked how very English you were. Now, with these connections of family and place we can begin to understand why.

Comment

I thought seeing as this is a pictorial, an accompanying video of Lincoln Cathedral would be apt. There isn't any sound but you get great views.

Comment

A walk inside Lincoln Cathedral.

Comment

And of course Lincoln Cathedral's bell Great Tom.

Comment

Paul-- what a WONDERFUL way to spend 20 minutes...as much a meditation session as anything else!!! THANKS so much!

The first video reminded me of how the concept of "time" has changed so much....back when spending weeks or months of carving a pattern over and over and over again to enhance a door was considered time well spent...and has lasted...long after we implode football stadiums 30 years too "old".......

..How you walk into the nave of the cathedral, and see the stained glass hitting the supporting piers just like they did 500 years ago. Looking up, and up and up.... And how I had the same reaction that those people did...."WOW. How can anyone doubt the existence of God?"

I love the stained glass--especially the two rose windows in the transepts. They are different! Very unusual.

Oh, I loved traipsing around the roof in the second video. Got 'heights-a-phobia" there a couple of times....(yep, I know it's acrophobia, but I like my way better...)

And oh, Tom made me smile, smile, smile. Hopefully something in EP365 (Christmas or Easter) --I'll have a pic of the new carillion at St. Mark's Cathedral in my home town. It's been cast (in Whitechapel!) is being installed in November. My mother funded one of the bells and on the outside it says "I ring to the Glory of God and in honor of ....... and then lists all 6 of her grandchildren!! My kids think it's really cool that, in 500 years, when we've long gone to "get our wings", people will still be seeing their names.......(the bell comes with a 500 year warranty!)

No matter how Buddhist my inclinations, I guess you just can't take the Anglican out of the girl.....

Comment

Working...
                X