Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore is the Information society:

Comment

• Gosh - didn't realise Sim Lim was still there! What a place that used to be for CDs, DVDs, electronics, absolutely everything.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        Gosh - didn't realise Sim Lim was still there! What a place that used to be for CDs, DVDs, electronics, absolutely everything.
        Oh yes, Sim Lim Square is STILL the place to go for electronic gadgets of all kinds. Sim Lim Tower across the road is where you can buy parts to build your own equipment,if you are into that sort of things.

Some of the stores in Sim Lim Square had a reputation for ripping of tourists, but after the few "bad guys" were taken to court, given jail terms and the rules strictened up, it is now supposedly clean and reliable: http://www.todayonline.com/singapore...ning-their-act

Comment

• WE ARE HOME!!!

Comment

• This place looks familiar. I can understand that you take off from snow, sleet, slush and cold for a while.
            Enjoy your time in warmer climes.
            Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not surprised, you spent what I thought was a pleasant night eating good North Indian and Nepalese food just to the right here.
              We did the same last night.

• Back visiting familiar sights in Singapore, starting with Clark Quay.
            The mushrooms hasn't grown much since last visit, by they still change colours all the time:

As does Read Bridge:

With a steady traffic of River Cruise boats passing under:

Here is the busiest "Port" on Singapore River:

Comment

• So many things there that I did not see. I suppose I will have to go back.

Comment

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes there are more to see and experience in Singapore than the poplar belief that "2-3 days is enough to see it all".
                Next time, take a stroll in Fort Canning Park and learn the history of the place by reading the plaques placed along the various treks:

Or if you are into longer walks, visit Kent Ridge Park, starting from Mt. Faber and ending in South Bonavista: https://www.nparks.gov.sg/gardens-pa...rk/what-to-see

There is a report somewhere earlier here about a walk in both places some time ago.

PS> Here is a map of the 300 km. Park Connector network as it stands today: https://www.nparks.gov.sg/gardens-pa...nector-network

Maybe you would like to try the Central Urban Loop, combining walking/cyckling and eating at some of the best Hawker Centres along the way?(Known as the "Makan Loop")

• Chinese New Year is long over, but the decorations in Chinatown has stayed up longer than usual:

Maybe because there are more tourists in the area than ever before??

Comment

• Singapore has some fancy high rise building architecture.
                How about this one, with infinity pools cantilevered at various floors:

Or this one:

Building with holes "shot" out in the middle appears to be a popular thing:

Not a high rise, but a bit special:

Also at Oxley Rd. is this old wrought iron fence, once protecting a stately villa. (long gone):

Comment

• On the side of Outram Hill we came across this Memorial that I have never noticed before, although I have probably walked passed here hundreds of times:

Being the curious type, I had to find out who's grave this was. Here is the answer: http://blog.lemonshortbread.com/2015...ngs-grave.html
                  The actual grave of Tan Tock Seng was a bit to the side and we did not walk over there to take pictures.

Comment

• Heritage Hotels are all the rages around the world, incl. in Singapore.
                    These old Godowns along Singapore River has been standing empty for the last 17 years, since a Discotheque moved out:

It has now been renovated and made into a small hotel and restaurant. It still smell a bit of nutmeg though. (it was originally used to store spices)
                    There are only 30 some odd rooms, all with their distinctive style according to the Manager. (Yes, I did go in and ask, but not about the price)

Outside another Heritage Hotel in Tiong Baru is this water feature for Fung Shui:

Statues depicting old Singapore kids playing old games are everywhere:

In the Tank Road Park is this "memorial to the old Singapore National Theatre, which was demolished years ago:

Here is what it looked like in it's heydays: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singap...tional_Theatre

Comment

• In Tank Road Park we also came upon a small tree bearing fruits I'm not familiar with:

It also had flowers in various stages of development:

We have some experts here who may be able to identify this tree, though.

A more familiar flowering tree:

Comment

• Thanks for the nice "stroll around reportage", please give us some more if you have!

Comment

• ombugge
                          ombugge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes there will be more. Walking around and taking pictures are what we do these days.
                          It is nice to be back in familiar places and still finding new things.

• Not walking but riding the North South Line MRT I took a picture that may bring back memories for one of our members:

These trains still have drivers, but not sure if it is the same train sets as when the MRT system in Singapore was new.

As always, the signs are in the 4 official languages:

(Except the blue one on the right)

Repeating the same warnings in 4 languages at every stop and in every station may be a bit of an overkill, but they are probably just being cautious.

Comment

• PoloUK
                          PoloUK commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Strictly operators rather than drivers - computers drive the trains, the operators open and close the doors. In the old days, one day a week the drivers would drive the trains outside the peak so that they still could, don't know if that still happens on those lines today. When I was working on those trains, those doors in the photo were normally open and there weren't any passengers on board!

• Tommi
                          Tommi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I guess that is the way to keep efficiency and time tables, while it is a good way to maintain a required level of safety?

• ombugge
                          ombugge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I notice that on the old lines with "operators" there are frequent cases where the doors re-open and close up to several times, presumably because somebody or something is blocking a door from closing properly, thus the train will not start to move.
                          This does not happen as frequently on the driverless lines though.

I also have noticed that there are an "attendant" from SMRT riding on most trips on the downtown line these days. He/she will usually stand near the front of the train, but is usually more busy on their phone then watching anything going on around them.
                          Earlier I was told that this was because there may be a minor alarm, or some other problem being noted at the control centre and very rearly.
                          Could it be that the rules have been changed and they are there more as crowd control??

I haven't seen any on the North East Line though. Don't know about the Circle Line, as we haven't used that this time around.
                          Last edited by ombugge; 3 weeks ago.

• This sign should indicate a place for COLD BEER and rowdy crowds right??:

Wrong!!! No beer and no crowd. This is in the Arab Street area, which is still largely Middle Eastern and Muslim.

Comment

Working...
                        X