No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Oldest lines in Singapore's MRT system has been upgraded to be able to operate trains at 100 Sec. interval, as opposed to 120 sec. today: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...e/3235810.html
    Doesn't sound like much?? It is supposed to increase peak hour capacity significantly, which should also reduce customer complains drastically.
    Mark can probably enlighten us on the complexity involved, since he was involved in the installation of the original system.

PS> I don't think this will get ride of the drivers, as on the newer lines.

Comment

I normally charge for this sort of information Ombugge!!

Yes, that's a very significant increase in throughput.

There are 3600 seconds in an hour, so at 120 seconds between trains there are 30 trains running in each direction in peak periods.
      At 100 seconds, that goes up to 36 trains per hour.

Each train can carry approaching 2,000 people, so this increase represents a potential 12,000 extra passengers per hour per direction. That's a lot of people.

The article talks about some of the challenges faced by the engineers who provide the electronics to drive the trains safely as close together as they can. Singapore has the added complication (and indeed benefit) of platform edge doors - doors along the edge of the platform that prevent trains and people meeting, and underground to prevent tunnels being air-conditioned! Trains have to align absolutely acccurately with these - to within a few cm - otherwise the doors won't open. The challenge therefore is to brake from 80km/h or so as late as possible, smoothly stopping at exactly the right place, ideally without crawling for the last few metres.

36 trains per hour is pretty good and indeed challenging. Much beyond 36tph is difficult as the limits of physics are secondary to the problems of getting people on and off in the time available and getting them moving through the station. Not everyone is as well behaved as the Singaporeans! This is what I call the issues of 'technology vs psychology', but you'll have fallen asleep by now.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• PoloUK
        PoloUK commented
        Editing a comment
        It's all right - I charge in £ - you can afford plenty of my time.

• Tommi
        Tommi commented
        Editing a comment
        12000? That's approximately all the residents of Strängnäs in one hour! Such a difference 20 seconds can make!

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you hinting at the Brexit effect? Don't worry, Lord Boris will fix it and it will be all OK, you just wait.

It is never too early to decorate for X-mas: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...stmas-light-up
      Sorry, I will not be there for "live" pictures of this year's Orchard Road decoration, so this will have to do.

Comment

I though this only happened with coffee and svele on the smaller ferries in Norway, but here is an example that most people are trustworthy, even in the big city of Singapore: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...-cash-register

Comment

Many visitors to Singapore also visit Jurong Birdpark, which has existed since 1971. It has been successful in breading many rear species of birds that is threatened with extinction.
          One of these species are the Greater Hornbill, which is indigenous to S.E.Asia, but had almost disappeared from Singapore island. Their breeding program of Hornbills has been so successful that several pairs have been released back in the wild and can now be seen several places in Singapore: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...n/3259732.html
          We used to see a pair of them flying to and from Botanic Garden when living there.

Comment

If you don't fancy birds, maybe a rather unknown Buddhist Monastery is more to your liking?: http://www.todayonline.com/singapore...toration-works
            I must admit I have never visited here, although I have seen it from the outside many times.

Last edited by ombugge; November 6th, 2016, 16:10.

Comment

If you are visiting Singapore and are looking for authentic Hawker Food in Authentic settings, download this site and enjoy your choice:
              http://www.cityhawkerfoodhunt.com/ci...-sg50-edition/

If you need specific tips for lunch places in a more central location, who's better to ask then the Office Ladies working at Raffles Place?:
              http://www.todayonline.com/lifestyle...-office-ladies
              The famous La Pau Sat is not on this list. Maybe because it is too pricey and on the tourist brochures?
              Last edited by ombugge; November 9th, 2016, 12:17.

Comment

You have probably read articles, or seen documentary about abuse of foreign Maids in Singapore? Thankfully it is not the norm, but it does occure and it is strictly punished when revealed. More normal is that maids become part of families, with some of them working for the same family for many years, sometime generations.
                Here is an example of maid/employer reunion after 30 years: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...30-years-later
                Western press doesn't like to report such stories I'm afraid. They don't fit the stereotype image of Asia and Asians that prevail.

We had a Singaporean maid (then call Amah) back when the boys were small (1976-80) who are still "part of the family". Not only that, but her kids and now even grand children as well. The same goes for every maid since, incl. maids who have worked for my in-laws. Not my "fault" I must admit, but my wife keeps in touch with them to this day.
                Last edited by ombugge; November 6th, 2016, 19:57.

Comment

Some amazing photographs from Singapore by Darrren Soh: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...-photographers
                  Not just the Super moon but go into his Facebook page by clicking on the picture. The text with each picture is quite descriptive too.

Comment

Do you know of any spots in Singapore that would be good for ship spotting/watching? Yes, I know from any tall building but unfortunately my hotel has a few other buildings in the way though it's amazing all the ships and docks I can see from here. Unfortunately there is not much for "harbor cruises" or at least to the parts of the harbor I'd like to see and I'm not sure a ferry to St. John's Island would go past much.

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Take the MRT to Marina South Pier. There you see most of Eastern Anchorage, or take a Harbour Cruse to see more.
                      Next, take a taxi to Mt. Faber for an over all view of the anchorages and port facilities, followed by a trip across to Santosa by the Cable Car for a closer look at Western Anchorage from sea level.
                      Enjoy yourselves!!!

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you want to be even more close to the shipping activity, take a ferry from MSP to Kiusu Island where you can watch ships passing in Singapore Strait, as well as Eastern Anchorage and to/from Tg. Pagar & BraniContainer Terminal

Thank you for the tips. I was over in the Marina South Pier area yesterday. I really wished to get a bit higher since the smaller ships and breakwater seemed to block some of the view. Our cruise will depart from Harborfront at 5pm so hopefully we will leave on time to see more of the harbor before it gets dark.

While at the pool I was cursing a building that was blocking my view of the harbor so I Googled it. Turns out it was public housing and they let the "public" go up to their sky deck. So, this morning I walked over to The Pinnacle and went on their 50th floor sky deck. Last year I got rid of my DSL and massive lenses so no more super close up photos but I did bring my binoculars so I had a good commanding view of things.

The red building is my hotel. My room is in the upper most "hole" which is where the club level pool is located. So, except for what is blocked by The Pinnacle and Icon the view from my room is similar to the above photos.

When up on The Pinnacle and able to see so much of the harbor at once I really wish I had gotten a set of charts before coming on this trip. It would be nice to see the channels and anchorages in plan view. Luckily there is so much traffic that it is really easy to spot the major routes.

Comment

Thank you for mentioning Marina South Pier. Even though I had been over there the way I walked I did not look closely at the Marina South Pier building. Today I went back over and noticed that there was an observation deck on the roof with much better views. Now if only you could do something about the Singapore weather.

Comment

Ombugge, in case you miss Singapore here are some photos of the decorations on Orchard Road and Little India.

Comment

Singapore has done it again: http://www.bbc.com/news/education-38131731

Comment

• pilotdane
                            pilotdane commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Top in every category. I'm actually surprised that the United States even makes the list a few times.

• ombugge
                            ombugge commented
                            Editing a comment
                            No USA top many lists, but maybe not the ones to be proud of, except largest single nation economy, largest military force and largest number of Billionaires.

Alarm bells are ringing in Singapore. "We are not #1 in EVERYTHING??: http://www.todayonline.com/singapore...world-rankings

The solution in Singapore is likely to be different from the normal; "Horrors, somebody have to do something fast. Let's set down a fast working committee and then forget about it".
                          No the Singapore way is to give one of the "Supermen" in the Civil Service or political establishment the task of coming up with a solution and then implement it.
                          No long and fruitless debates and no protesting in the street, just get it done.

Comment

Working...
                          X