No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's fine, thanks. I can just see that taking off in Bunga.y! I was very impressed when the left dragon upended, it can't be all that easy to do that while coping with being enveloped by the costume.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Glad you enjoyed if, although this was not among the best Lion Dance Troops in Singapore, by a long shot.
      The idea is to imitate the movements of real Lions, but in a stylistic way that has been developed over centuries.
      What was performed here was the "Cai Qing", but modified and simplified to suite the situation and the skills of the performers.

A Guinness World Record for the most Lions performing the Cai Qing simultaneously was set last week at the Garden by the Bay: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...-gardens-the-b

Further to the performance at the construction site, here is the troop heading off to perform at the site office as well:

They left behind a message formed by mandarin slices, but I cannot make out what it says:

You are mentioning Dragon Dance, which is very different from the more common Lion Dance, but it is also performed in Singapore.
      Here is a video showing a very professional Dragon Dance troop performing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFG5W13hFTU

Comment

• wherrygirl
        wherrygirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, so I am. But then I am very pro-dragon, they have an interesting history and ancestry in mythology. My apologies!

moving pictures from Ombugge,soon in a cinema near you
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Hugely enjoyed the Lion Dance in the continuing story of this local redevelopment which is so interesting to follow in Ombugge's posts from time to time.
        What especially made me smile was the bit when right-hand-side-lion wiggles his ears at the start of the action!

Comment

BBC World News is showing a 50 min. program about Singapore at 50 this weekend: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/n3csxmc0

Final transmission at 1510 GMT today.

Comment

OK, here is today's panorama of the Construction site:

Comment

That must be enough about CNY. Now let's get back to the mixed architecture of Singapore.
              ​Here is a building that has just got a make-over. The former residence of the Bishop near St. Joseph's Church in Victoria Street:

I think I have posted pictures of the church and residence sometime earlier.

Three-story Shop houses in Chinatown, with high rises in the downtown area behind:

Singapore Management University (SMU) is situated in what used to be an open space and park between Bras Basha and Stamford Road:

It is all low-rise and with a lot of open spaces and "air" at ground level.

The new Park Hotel Pickering in Chinatown is also designed to save on air-conditioning and water:

Comment

Along Beach Road there are a lot of tall buildings on one side, original shop houses on the other:

The Concourse, which is from the early 1990s has a very special design and history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Concourse
                Here it is as seen from Kampong Glam:

A less striking building stand out along Jalan Besar:

Comment

But the most striking high raised office building in Singapore must be this one, the Park View Square:

This has featured here before, but here is some night shots:

The main entrance gate: (Here seen from the inside)

This leads to a raised Plaza, which is open to the public, with no security. (That starts at the entrance doors to the building itself)

At the Plaza in front of the building stands a lot of replica statues of different kinds and sizes:

With this sculpture as the center piece:

Comment

The Park view is sometimes referred as "Gotham" City, as a tribute to Batman !

About the Concourse, once I had the privilege of finding out that odd numbered floors only link to odd numbered floors, via the stair case, and likewise for the even numbered ones, as I thought, from 10 I can walk to 9 (or something like that) and the fellow in 9 said he can only open if I came down from 11

Had to crawl to the 1st floor to take the 'other' lift !

Comment

I just posted a video from Hong Kong in 1967 in the appropriate thread.
                      Here is a video from Singapore that same year, which was the year I started to regard Singapore as my home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPQ6Pcmt9bY
                      Not as well made as the one from Hong Kong, but never the less, worth a few minutes of your time.

This lead to a lengthy video for those with special interest in the history of Singapore, from self-rule in 1959 and up to 2009: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7keV9fYMZN8

Comment

It has become world news that the two Germans that managed to spray graffiti on an MRT train in Singapore has been sentanced to 9 months jail and 3 strokes of the rottan each. In fact they will receive the minimum number of strokes allow under the Law for the act they have admitted being guilty of, and apologized for committing.

Horror, horror, are they going to cane someone from Germany for vandalism?? In Germany corporal punishment was banned 160 years ago, according to their German defense Lawyer. (Well, not quite. I believe they had a fallback some 70-80 years ago, at least for selected groups)

This was not some "spur of the moment" prank. They arrived from Australia, where they worked/studied, with the purpose of proving that they could manage to do this and escape before being caught. Yes they did, at first.
                        They managed to leave the country and travel to Bangkok, but forgot that with today's "chipped" passport every detail of every traveler are recorded on arrival and departure, incl. picture, fingerprints and bio-data. Passed and future ticketed travels are also available to those with access to the right info.

It didn't take the Police long to track them down. Maybe their "signature" was know from some tagger's website, or they posted the picture of themselves with the train in the background on one, once they were safely out of the country?? Maybe they thought that Singapore Police was not up to knowing about and watching such sites??

​The Thai Police kept an eye on them while in Bangkok and informed Singapore when they left and where they were going. They were nabbed by the Malaysian Police when transiting at KLIA on their way back to Australia on 4. Nov. 2014 and returned to Singapore a few days later. Now they can regret that they underestimated the resolve of the Singapore Authorities to keep Singapore free from tagging and vandalism. Why not arrest them in Thailand? More elaborate procedure required to get them extradited.

Here is a short abridged article from Straits Times:
                        SINGAPORE - Two young German men were sentenced on Thursday to nine months in jail and three strokes of the cane for vandalising an MRT train. Andreas Von Knorre, 22, and Elton Hinz, 21, had entered the Bishan train depot on Nov 7 last year through a drainage system and by scaling a wall. They surveyed the area before leaving, and returned the next day, where they spray painted graffiti measuring 1.8m in height and 10m in length on a train carriage.
                        The judge said that the offences were "committed after thorough, meticulous, deliberate and elaborate planning," adding that a "self-timed" photograph that the two men had taken in front of the train before vandalising it "was meant to serve as a trophy to gain notoriety.
                        This is not the first time which Singapore's vandalism case has made global news. We look at other cases of vandalism in Singapore.- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin....16P7EafB.dpuf

Here is a picture of their "art work":

You can be the judge of whether this was worth 9 months at Changi and 3 strokes of the rottan or not??

Comment

A refurbished 1.1 km. stretch of Rochor Canal was opened to the public today. It has walking/jogging/cycling tracks on either side of the canal, with some benches for people to sit on.
                          The Canal generally follows the original Rochor River. It is part of the Marina Basin reservoir and connect with Kallang river at the lowere end.

This is what it looks like:

The plants that grow in "terraces" on either side helps clean the rain water run-off before it enters the canal:

There is a pedestrian crossing at abt. the half-way mark:

Leading to one of the HDB Estates that flank the canal.

A look from there and down towards Kallang:

And up river to Rochor Center and Sim Lim Tower:

Sungai Road open air second hand market on the right, also known as Thief's Market, will soon be no more.
                          Likewise Rochor Center, the multi-coloured blocks at center.

Comment

Mixed development:

I don't know about that modern building here, but some may find it "interesting".

Comment

• ecureilx
                              ecureilx commented
                              Editing a comment
                              is the modern building along Syed Alwi Road / Jalan Besar ?

If so it is the new extension of Mustafa !!!

In posts 1185 & 1188 I mentioned the Jewish influence on Singapore.
                            They were not the only ones from the Middle East to make their mark. The Arabs also were among the early settlers her, with a section in Kampong Glam set aside for them in the first Town Plan of 1822: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Singaporean

The area still heavily Middle Eastern, with the textile shops along Arab Street and numerous small Turkish, Lebanese and Arab Cafes and Restaurant in the area around, where the Water Pipe is smoked. (Soon to be banned)

One of the influential Arab families in Singapore is the Alsagoffs. Here is one of the buildings holding their name:

As does this school:

Comment

Working...
                            X