No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets get into the small streets of the traditional Chinatown, which is getting packed with stalls, some specially for CNY:

A recyclable CNY decoration??:

The crowd are getting thicker as the night falls:

Comment

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll see if I can find some pictures from these same street as they looked in the 1960-70s.

This shop is displaying the large variety of CNY Decorations available within:

Traditional Preserved Meat of all kinds is on display in the heat:

Store front at People's Park Complex is displaying large "Good Luck" trees at their store front:

Not only does the colour of the kumquat fruit symbolizes gold = wealth, but Kum = Gold in Cantonese.

Comment

When it got dark enough we ventured back to New Bridge Road & Eu Thong Sen Street for the main decorations.

Starting with a view across N.B.Rd. to the heard of Golden Goats on the divider:

It stretches for "miles" in bpth direction. Here looking west along N.B.Rd.:

Gold Coins hanging over N.B.Rd. Looking East:

Comment

​We cross the road.
        Goats reflected in the storm drain which divide N.B.Rd. from E.T.S Str.:

​Goats of all sizes to be seen from this side to:

A bit overpowering maybe??:

This grazing Goat actually moved it's head and mouth:

Comment

It looks like we have come to the Goat Pen:

Actually this is taken from Dragon Bridge. (Similar to the daylight one in # 1173/3)

This is the same view as in #117/2:

Similar view to # 1174/4, only more people:

N.B.Rd. looking east:

Hotel 81 has put up their own decoration:

​Western end of an East-bound Goat:

Comment

The end is near:

E.T.S.Str. from Dragon bridge, looking east. (Same as #1173/1):

A view across E.T.S.Str. to the dense flock of goats near the end:

This bit is always more elaborate.

Large Rams forming the beginning/end of the decorated stretch of road. (Depending on your point of view):

They look proud don't they?? Maybe because they are guarding the large harem behind them.

Finally, a look back along E.T.S.Str. with Dragon Bridge:

Comment

Well, not entirely.
              ​Even the Cruise Boats on Singapore River displays Red Lanterns:

Some have recycled their X-mas decorations:

The Sugar sticks of X-mas has been replaced with Red lanterns and a twig of a fruit tree in bloom. (Artificial and lighted, of cause)

Some of the major Shopping Centres are elaborately decorated as well, but I think that this will do for this year.

Comment

I did say that I would try to find some pictures of the streets shown in 1174 from around 1960-70s.
                I walked these street back in my young days. My first recollection is from 1960, but more vivid memories from the late 1960s and the 1970s when things were largely unchanged from the early Chinatown.
                The major changes didn't occur before in the 1980s, so some later pictures are also relevant of the life in Chinatown back the.

I have searched the web and found some pictures of street scenes from Chinatown from that era in general, but also some that is almost from the same spot.

This is Pagoda Street, looking towards New Bridge Road and People's Park:

This is the same street in the 1960s, but viewed from the opposite direction and elevated:

Here is Pagoda Street, looking towards South Bridge Road:

Here it is in more or less the same view in the 1960s:

This is Trengganu Street looking towards Temple Street and Smit Street, which is maybe the most packed street in Chinatown now:

Near same view sometime in the 1970s:

By that time the new Chinatown Market (below the block in the background) had been completed and the market hawkers had been moved there.
                The tourists had started to take over the scene.

It was also the main market street in the old days, when live snakes, frogs, eels, snake head fish, turtles and more could be found here:

As well as live chicken and ducks, slaughtered and de-feathered on the spot of cause.

Comment

Another place in Singapore that had it's hay days in the 1960-70s was Bugis Street. It was a popular place to visit for good food, plenty of cold beer and free entertainment.

Here is a daytime view:

And a night time view:

For those who would like to know more, here is a link: http://sgwiki.com/wiki/Bugis_Street

Comment

Greatly appreciate the “then and now” comparisons, Ombugge - and also enjoyed ‘our’ goat/sheep year decorations! They make great motifs, and I found them particularly appealing in procession mode! – though that pen was nice too!

Comment

Today, 19. Febr. 2015 is Chinese New Year Eve for those who haven't noticed. (CNY greeting posted in appropriate thread)
                      All the major malls and shops in Singapore has put up some sort of decoration and have been playing the same two-three CNY songs for the last month at least. (Replacing "Dingle Bell" and "White X-mas", which was played for at least month and a half)

Here is the entrance to The Scotts:

And one of the more pleasing decorations inside:

This rather pleasing CNY decoration was found in the foyer of The Ascott Raffles Place (Former Asia Insurance Building):

Their lobby bar is called The Royal Mail by the way.
                      Why?? Because one of the few things retained from the original interior. See it here: http://www.the-ascott.com/en/countri...re/video2.html

Comment

Singapore once had a large and thriving Jewish community.
                        There are still some buildings left as a reminder of that. Here is the David Elias Building in Middle Road:

In fact, the first Chief Minister of the self-governing British Crown Colony of Singapore was a Jew, David Marshall: http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infoped...005-01-13.html

Comment

More Singapore buildings, here with the contrasts of styles over the decades, or even centuries:

The roundish structure in front is the exit ramp from Golden Shoe Car Park in Market Street, built in the early 1970s.
                          The tall tower is Republic Plaza, built in 1995 as one of three skyscrapers in Singapore, standing 280 m. tall above street level:

Singapore's Grand Canyon. This is actually a service road at the back of the buildings facing Shanton Way on the left and Robinson Road on the right:

Those who know their back-roads sometimes use this as a way of avoiding congestion on the main streets.
                          The cyclist here probably use it to get out of the exhaust and noise, as did we.

Comment

I must come back and have a longer look at your New Year photos - they are such joyous ones - and I am particularly interested in the older images comparison.
                            But also
                            Not up to CVF standard, but it's not easy to get a sharp picture from a jumping launch moving at 12 - 15 kts. even in daylight.
                            CVF should have no standard as far as quality of image is concerned. I got a real feeling of being on a launch at close quarters with the water. It was wet and made me want to shrink back to avoid getting drenched!.
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

In post 1185 I mentioned the Jewish passed in Singapore.
                              Well it is not all in the passed, there are still a Jewish community here, with their main Synagogue and Community Center situated in along Waterloo Street:

Here is some info on the Jews in Singapore and their history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...s_in_Singapore

Comment

Working...
                              X