No announcement yet.

This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the early 1970s the population of Ang Moh (Europeans) in Singapore was very small and mostly British. The Norwegian colony was only around 100 only.
    Out of a total resident population of approx 2 Mill. in 1970 "Others" was only 1.2%. (Abt. 24000)
    This include Eurasian and European with Singapore Citizenship and Permanent Residency only.

Since 2010 the racial mix has stayed reasonably steady at 74% Chinese, 13.3% Malays and 9.2% Indians. But since 1970 the relative number of Chinese and Malays have dropped, while the Indians and Others has increased.

Today (2013) there are a population of abt. 5.4 Mill. of which 3.85 Mill are Citizens, 0.53 Mill. are Permanent Residents and 1.55 Mill. are Foreign Workers etc. (non-residents)
    Abt. 3.3% of the Citizens and PRs are classified as "Others", or abt. 145,000. The number Eurasian has hardly increased at all, which means that the number of Ang Moh Citizens and PRs have increased many fold.

There is no statistics which break down the nationality of PRs and Non-residents, but just about any nationality is represented here.
    Many of the 530k non-residents are also Ang Mohs on Employment Pass or other forms of visa. I would estimate the total number of Ang Moh living in Singapore to be at least 200k
    The Norwegian colony now counts abt. 2,000 with some form of resident status in Singapore.

When you walk around in certain parts of Singapore, like Orchard Road and at places like Tanglin Mall, you may forget you are in Asia.
    Is this good or bad?? Well, it is different. Very different from the 1970s, when there were few "round eyes" to be seen outside the enclaves of Holland Village and a few other places.

When I visited Kampong San Theng on a regular basis I was accepted without problems and the entire Kampong was invited to our customary wedding dinner.
    Although the Kampong is long gone, some of the older folks still get together for festivals and weddings, but mostly for funerals these days.

PS> The term "Ang Moh" literally means; Red haired Monkey in Hokkien dialect. The equivalent in Cantonese is; Gwai loh = White Ghost. Both are used to describe Europeans.
    The terms has gone into the daily Singlish language and is accepted by most as none-offensive.
    Last edited by ombugge; April 27th, 2014, 14:57. Reason: PS> Correction of number of Others in 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      In the early 1970s the population of Ang Moh (Europeans) in Singapore was very small and mostly British. The Norwegian colony was only around 100 only.
      Assuming that the Norwegian colony was the next largest to the British out of the Ang Moh population, was there any particular reason for their presence?
      The term "Ang Moh" literally means; Red haired Monkey in Hokkien dialect. The equivalent in Cantonese is; Gwai loh = White Ghost. Both are used to describe Europeans.
      Yes, well, I'm not red-haired but I can be a "little monkey" sometimes. White Ghost? OK, white - yes. Ghost - no way, not yet, anyway.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        Norwegians was and is a small colony of foreigners in Singapore. In 1970 nearly all had something to do with shipping. Now a days a lot of Norwegian companies are present here, from Manufacturing to Insurance and Finance. Singapore has the largest number of Norwegian owned companies outside Norway, except for in UK. Here is a list: http://www.nbas.org.sg/index.php?opt...nies&Itemid=70
        I haven't counted.

Do they know its Easter???
      These trees full of yellow flowers is blooming all over Singapore:

Not a very flattering picture, shot from the window of a taxi. They are much more impressive than that many places.

I have never notice these trees with flowers before.
      ​Today my wife noticed that another type of tree we have never seen flowering before was covered in yellow flowers:

Looking around we could see other trees in the distance with the same kind of flowers.
      Is this just to celebrate Easter, I wonder??

Comment

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        This last type of flowering tree is obviously in a hurry.
        The pictures above was taken in the afternoon 21. April. When we walked out yesterday 22. April we passed under that tree.
        There were no signs of any flowers on the tree, but the ground was covered in yellow flowers, turning brown.

The bougainvillea on "Our" bridge has now partly recovered, at least some of them:

It looks like the purple ones is doing a lot better than the more pale coloured ones.

PS> I don't think starting to prune plants on my own would be much appreciated by the Park Authorities.
      If organized into a Gotong Royong it may be OK: http://remembersingapore.wordpress.c...gotong-royong/
      But I'm afraid the Kampong Spirit is no longer part of the Singapore experience.

Comment

If I haven't said it before, I'll repeat it no; Singapore is more than just Orchard Road Shopping Centers and high raised building.

It is also known as the Garden City, still with some untouched jungle, even close to the down town area.
        Walking and cycling paths has been developed for the residents of this densely populated island so they can get a feeling of nature.

Here is a guide to some of the Walking Trails: http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.p...=20&Itemid=135

The various Parks and Recreation Areas have been connected by the Park Connector Network:
        http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.p...ors&Itemid=375
        to enable seamless access from one to the other. (Work still in progress)

Next time you are in Singapore, get away from Orchard Road and Marina Bay area to explore the facilities offered to citizens, residents and visitors alike.
        Best of all; IT IS FREE.

Comment

• wherrygirl
          wherrygirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Singapore is more than just Orchard Road Shopping Centers and high raised building.
          OK, OK, man. Who wants to go to these exotic places just to shop, anyway?

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          You are in minority!!
          Most tourist in Singapore are from Indonesia, India and China. They are here for the shopping and little else.

• wherrygirl
          wherrygirl commented
          Editing a comment
          But I doubt that S'pore is "exotic" for visitors from Indonesia, India or China!
          In a minority, am I? I always thought there was something odd about me!

Has anybody noticed that this chunk of ice ​abt. 600 Sq.Km. in area, which is drifting in the Southern Ocean is about the same size and shape as Singapore:

Comment

We have something vaguely similar to Gotong Royong in Bunga.y and no doubt in other small country towns in England. Ours is perhaps mainly aimed at using locally farmed/grown products rather than depending on supermarkets for everything. One thing they do is where members bring their own produce and between them they concoct a meal for everyone who likes to come along. There is a bee group and apparently there was even a recent talk on using various plants for their dyeing properties. But the community spirit is strong and the idea is to get people together to spread new ideas and provide mutual help, They occasionally have something like a bring and buy sale without the money, i.e. you take along something you no longer need and bring away something you find that you'd like to have, also there is a list in the local library where you can advertise something you just want to give away.
          On TV occasionally there is a programme showing local volunteers getting together to do quite major works like transforming a piece of neglected waste ground into a little community garden.
          So the spirit is still alive.
          Like "your" bouganvillea!
          Ivy

Comment

In a minority, am I? I always thought there was something odd about me!
            ​You would be in minority as a European tourist. Even more so if you didn't take part in the shopping frenzy in Orchard Road.
            As to the odd part, I reserve my comments.

But I doubt that S'pore is "exotic" for visitors from Indonesia, India or China!
            That is where you are wrong, if you accept the meaning of exotic as something that is; unusual, different, strange, striking, extraordinary and so on.

Why is that?
            Because Singapore is multi-ethnic, multi-racial, multi-religious, but yet integrated and without outwardly visible discrimination or racial animosity.
            It is also clean, in more senses than one; little pollution and litter, no corruption, no slums and no impoverished hinterland.
            This is not the case in China, India or Indonesia, or any other country in S.E.Asia.

​Singapore is also ranked as the 3rd richest country in the world, ahead of oil rich Norway and all other European countries, except Luxembourg:
            2013 Ranking of Countries, from Richest to Poorest, According to Gross
            Domestic Product Based on Purchasing-Power-Parity (PPP) Per Capita
            1 Qatar 105,091.42 2011
            2 Luxembourg 79,593.91 2011
            3 Singapore 61,567.28 2011
            4 Norway 56,663.47 2012
            5 Brunei Darussalam 55,111.20 2011
            6 Hong Kong 53,432.23 2011
            7 United States 51,248.21 2011
            8 United Arab Emirates 49,883.58 2009
            9 Switzerland 46,474.95 2011
            10 Australia 44,073.81 2011
            Read more: http://www.gfmag.com/component/conte...#ixzz2zy9I5TmR
            Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Share Alike

That is what makes Singapore exotic to Asians, Americans and Europeans alike.

Comment

​You would be in minority as a European tourist. Even more so if you didn't take part in the shopping frenzy in Orchard Road.
              Oh, I would probably elbow my way down it out of curiosity, much as one might visit the Tower of London despite the knowledge of all those at one time imprisoned and/or hanged there in "olden times".

As to the odd part, I reserve my comments.
              BAH!

Because Singapore is multi-ethnic, multi-racial, multi-religious, but yet integrated and without outwardly visible discrimination or racial animosity.
              "...without outwardly visible".
              But in reality? This is not a rhetorical question, but a genuine one.

It is also clean, in more senses than one; little pollution and litter, no corruption, no slums and no impoverished hinterland.
              Sounds almost like home, especially the corruption bit. NOTE: I can't find a smilie for heavy sarcasm.

Ivy

Comment

"...without outwardly visible".
                But in reality? This is not a rhetorical question, but a genuine one.
                With the influx of social media it is inevitable that some bigots gets their say, especially since they think they are anonymous and can't be traced.
                Luckily they are wrong and when somebody steps way over the line they have been found and punished.

But the line is not set very firmly I must say. "Normal" banter, which contain what can be termed "racist" remarks by those with a sensitive disposition, is overlooked.
                Only when race, religion and politics are mixed is there a swift reaction, since Singapore cannot allow these things to go unanswered.

It is now nearly 50 years since the last time there were racial riots in Singapore, which was a reaction to the political situation in Malaysia, of which Singapore was a part. It resulted in Singapore being separated from Malaysia and became an independent City state, which nobody expected would succeed for very long.
                The statistic in Post #1001 proves how wrong we all were.

Comment

After having found the nostalgic website Remember Singapore: http://remembersingapore.wordpress.com/
                  I must disagree with those who told me that this CVF thread is the most informative website on Singapore.
                  Especially if you are looking for information on Singapore in the older day, but also with reference to present days in many cases.

The section about the origin of Street Names is like a view into Singapore's history, yet is still very relevant when somebody ask "why this name???": http://remembersingapore.wordpress.c...apore-streets/

The website is somewhat like a Singapore wilkipedia with many contributors. Here is the background: http://remembersingapore.wordpress.c...y/about-remsg/

Comment

I came across these badly stacked boxes today:

Comment

Another nostalgic walk today. This time to Alexandra Park, where we lived from 1975 to 1980.
                      This used to be the Officer's quarters for the British Army force, which was stationed in Singapore until abt. 1970, after which they were taken over by the Singapore Government and left without any maintenance or guarding. The grounds around the houses were designed like an English park, with large open spaces and no fencing:

The streets within the Park had very British names:

Houses for senior officers were in the classical "Black and White" style:

Last edited by ombugge; April 29th, 2014, 16:51.

Comment

Those are some pretty random - or perhaps very planned - sections!

I guess it is to give more apartments the ultimate and higher priced view!.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Singapore advertisement which became so embarrassing that they quickly had to remove it from all their campaigns:

http://www.dagbladet.no/2014/04/11/n...dbtv/32784580/
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                          X