This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Singapore

Some pictures of Keppel Harbour, Singapore from Dec. 1977. (All pictures from VesselTracker by PortFriend)

Keppel Harbour from the Cable Car:

The other way. Cable car from Keppel Harbour:

Harbour Front under construction. Singapore Cruise Centre was added later.

Two Russian Fish Factory ships at Keppel Shipyard, as seen from the Cable Car:

Graving Dock at Keppel Shipyard as seen from the Cable Car:

The ship in the dock looks destinctly Norwegian.

PS> I'll see if I have some newer pictures of the same area today. (Not from the Cable Car, as I have newer actually taken the ride yet)
    Last edited by ombugge; May 29th, 2013, 11:29. Reason: Add PS

Comment

The building site across the road didn't stay idle for very long, unfortunately:

This is the view a few days ago. Noise and dust is going to be with us for a year or more.

Comment

I tried my hand at some night photography yesterday. (Also to test the ability of my new Panasonic Lumix camera)

All pictures are taken from around the Marina Bay area.

First in fading light:

Comment

Last edited by ombugge; July 31st, 2013, 13:06.

Comment

And than the sun set:

Swissotel the Stamford, at 72 story, were the tallest hotel in the world at one time.

River cruise boats by the dozens were busy on the river:

Last edited by ombugge; July 31st, 2013, 13:15.

Comment

Marina Bay Resort had their normal Light Show, tuned to music:

There is also a fountain involved, but I was too far away to be able to get any good pictures of that.

PS> I think I need some more training at this night photography. Not easy to get steady pictures when hand held.
              Last edited by ombugge; July 31st, 2013, 13:10. Reason: Add PS

Comment

So enjoyed these Ombugge. I very much liked the "fading light" period actually, and these being of an area of Singapore that I experienced at such a time on my visit (now plus the illuminated lotus flower shaped building then under construction!). But the later night shots are an excellent first go ...I'm not a tripod-carrying photographer either!... I'm wondering if your camera sits without wobbling on any conveniently to hand surface and can be set to a delayed action setting? Easiest non-sophisticated approach to night photos!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                  So enjoyed these Ombugge. I very much liked the "fading light" period actually, and these being of an area of Singapore that I experienced at such a time on my visit (now plus the illuminated lotus flower shaped building then under construction!). But the later night shots are an excellent first go ...I'm not a tripod-carrying photographer either!... I'm wondering if your camera sits without wobbling on any conveniently to hand surface and can be set to a delayed action setting? Easiest non-sophisticated approach to night photos!
                  The night pictures posted here was all shot with the camera set to "night scenery", which I assume takes care of the exposure time. All hand held without support.
                  Looking at the options offered, the next setting is specifically for hand held night shots. I'll try that later.

Comment

I like those shots very much, Ombugge. The first one with the light shining up the steps at the left was so attractive, but as i scrolled on there were so many more great shots.
                    Now, which camera have you bought? Mine is also a Panasonic Lumix, a DMC FZ7, a very old model which I bought in 2007 and of course not a DSLR. Yours will be a much better one, and it will be interesting to hear how you find it. I'm very happy with mine even if it is getting on a bit, but no doubt I will change it one day.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                      I like those shots very much, Ombugge. The first one with the light shining up the steps at the left was so attractive, but as i scrolled on there were so many more great shots.
                      Now, which camera have you bought? Mine is also a Panasonic Lumix, a DMC FZ7, a very old model which I bought in 2007 and of course not a DSLR. Yours will be a much better one, and it will be interesting to hear how you find it. I'm very happy with mine even if it is getting on a bit, but no doubt I will change it one day.
                      Min is model DMC TZ40 and I'm very happy with it, so far. As I may not treat it very nicely, that may change though. It gets exposed to some rough handling at times and also to rain and salt spray at times.

I bought this on recommendation of Piet Sinke of Maasmond Newsclipping fame. Link: WWW.MAASMONDMARITIME.COM
                      Watching him taking "point and press" pictures of ships at long range, and seeing the result in numerous posts in his newsletter, I decided to buy one myself. So far, so good.

Comment

I'll have a look at that link later, thanks, Ombugge. The Panasonic Lumix range seems to have a lot going for it according to my photo mag. and I try to keep up with their reviews so that when I do change I'll have some idea what to go for. But I have a long way to go in handling my present camera, I experiment with various things but have yet to go fully manual with it. I ought to devote a few afternoons to just simply playing about with it and testing various settings because there's no point in buying new before I have really got on top of this one.
                        Just find me a few afternoons!
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Singapore is celebration it's 48th Birthday and National Day today.

That is 48 years since independence, or the "lucky day" that Singapore was thrown out of Malaysia.

Nobody in their right mind thought that a city with no hinterland, no natural resources, or even sufficient water supply, could survive as an independent country on it's own.

How wrong we all were. Look in this thread at Singapore today and at time of independence and tell me if you think the country has succeeded??

Last edited by ombugge; August 9th, 2013, 07:05.

Comment

A taste of the fireworks, as seen from the viewing deck on 50th Floor, The Pinnacle@Duxton:

More to come.
                            Last edited by ombugge; August 24th, 2013, 05:55.

Comment

It took a while, but here is some more of the National Day fireworks as seen from the Pinnacle@Duxton. (Not the best venue but the better spots were crowded)

Comment

Some more pictures taken from the viewing deck at Pinnacle@Duxton, 50th Floor.
                                Tanjung Pagar Container Terminal:

Keppel Harbour, Sentosa and Western Anchorage:

Comment

Working...
                                X