This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Singapore

Most of the work at the demolition site was done by machines.

The one that was sorting out steel from the rubble reminded me of a Brid of Pray, tearing to pieces it's latest catch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u47uqDvIO1o

Loading a truck with debris took something like 4-5 min. on average:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u47uqDvIO1o

I like work!!! I can watch people work all day.

PS> While this was going on we went to Nepal and watched roads being built by hand tools, mostly.
    Even braking rocks to create aggregate was done by people with ball point hammers.
    What a difference from the above operation.
    Last edited by ombugge; March 11th, 2013, 07:12.

Comment

Totally fascinating and very much appreciated report ombugge

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        This is from a Hawker Centre in Henderson Road.
        A half-Japanese hawker with an artistic streak make decorations out of discarded materials. For the CNY this year he decorated 1,000 Cooking oil plastic containers to hang around another Hawker Centre, and this snake, made from cloth hangers and bubble wraps:

Earlier I posted pictures of a "Cruise Ship" he made out of empty drink cans.
        I just found out what happened to some of the above mentioned Lanterns. They are hanging in the park near Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhoby_Ghaut

We watched him make at least SOME of the 1000 lanterns during the months before CNY.

They were made from empty Cooking Oil plastic containers.
        He painted the outlines on each and every container himself, but had some help cleaning, cutting and fitting the lights etc.
        Some of the colouring was also done by helpers.

Some of the lanterns are strung between trees along Penang Road:

Comment

Here is a closer look at a few of the lanterns:

Comment

Elsewhere in the park, arranged above the MRT Station, was other sign of his handy work.

As always, made from discarded materials. In this case Plastic water bottles :

And some packing material:

I should have taken a close-up of the plaque, but did not notice it at the time.

Comment

You know, I'm very, very impressed by the way that demolition was done. It all seemed very methodical and the clearance of materials at each stage went smoothly. Of course, I know that sitting here looking at the photos is far removed from the reality with its clamour of machinery and the dust - though as to the latter the streets visible in the later pics. and the foliage all look fresh and clean. Remarkable work - and Ombugge, you cannot get away with no promises of the rebuilding! Oh no! We must see at least the occasional photograph and certainly the finished result.
              I love those lanterns. I notice the one at #817 with its pandas, is he Chinese to have used such an iconic image? And those at #818 are delightful, especially the chandelier. He's very talented and painstaking, isn't he?
              Many thanks, too, for your painstaking work in recording all this.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                ....- and Ombugge, you cannot get away with no promises of the rebuilding! Oh no! We must see at least the occasional photograph and certainly the finished result.
                Absolutely!... I know I can always rely on our wherrygirl to say what I'd like to but so much more eloquently...

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                  You know, I'm very, very impressed by the way that demolition was done. It all seemed very methodical and the clearance of materials at each stage went smoothly. Of course, I know that sitting here looking at the photos is far removed from the reality with its clamour of machinery and the dust - though as to the latter the streets visible in the later pics. and the foliage all look fresh and clean. Remarkable work - and Ombugge, you cannot get away with no promises of the rebuilding! Oh no! We must see at least the occasional photograph and certainly the finished result.
                  You may have to wait a while. From what they are doing now I don't think they are in a hurry with re-building.
                  I will take some pictures as the last "demolition machine" leave the site.

I love those lanterns. I notice the one at #817 with its pandas, is he Chinese to have used such an iconic image? And those at #818 are delightful, especially the chandelier. He's very talented and painstaking, isn't he?
                  Many thanks, too, for your painstaking work in recording all this.
                  He is half Japanese, but a Singapore citizen. Probably the other half is Chinese.
                  I watched him several time while preparing these lanterns. Initially he talked about making 600, but it ended up 1000. It took several months and was originally displayed for only a few weeks at Red Hill market. How some of them ended up at Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station, I have no idea, but I will certainly enquire the next time I see him.
                  Last edited by ombugge; March 14th, 2013, 16:31.

Comment

You may have to wait a while. From what they are doing now I don't think they are in a hurry with re-building.
                    I will take some pictures as the last "demolition machine" leave the site.
                    It looks like the demolition work is just about over.
                    This is looks like today, with no present activity:

The area has been flattened, but not all debris has been removed. No signs of excavation for below ground parking etc. and no piling gear brought in yet.
                    Hopefully it will stay like this for a while to await improved market for new Condos. (I.A.)

The next building is getting prepared for demolition though:
                    Last edited by ombugge; March 16th, 2013, 11:19.

Comment

It looks like the demolition work is just about over.
                      The area has been flattened, but not all debris has been removed. No signs of excavation for below ground parking etc. and no piling gear brought in yet.

The next building is getting prepared for demolition though
                      Phew!!!.............
                      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

The skyline of Singapore as seen from the ferry when crossing to/from Batam:

Sentosa and Brani / Tg. Pagar Container Terminals disappearing behind us:

And returning:

Comment

Fascinating to see some familiar aspects of the Singapore skyline from the reverse direction!

Comment

The next step at the demolition site was clearing the trees that may obstruct the future building activity.

No great ceremony and no Lumberjacks involve, just two men and the same excavator as used for the demolition:

Comment

Here is a short video of the felling of the last tree standing within the fence: http://youtu.be/VH25cv5CxWE

Sorry, I don't know how to turn a video clip, so the "most important bit" will require you to turn your computer screen 90 degr.

The music is "I Ka Barra" (Your Work) by Habib Koite. I thought the title suitable at least.

Comment

There it is, with it's roots in the air after 50 years or so growing big and strong:

By evening the area was deserted and the cut trees left to dry:

Comment

Working...
                                X