This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Singapore

At Newbridge Road/Eu Tong Seng Street, the main Chinatown decoration is also suppose to resemble a snake. (After all the next year will be "Year of the Snake")

You'll be hard put to see the likeness of a snake in this stack of square boxes:

Aha, maybe this is supposed to be the head of the snake??:

The "body" doesn't much resemble a snake, since the "coils" is vertical:

That pointy thing there must be the tail, I think:
    Last edited by ombugge; January 24th, 2013, 16:09.

Comment

View from "Dragon Bridge":

Some multi-coloured "boxes" on the divider:
      Last edited by ombugge; January 24th, 2013, 16:08.

Comment

Decorations on the wall of Hotel 81 Chinatown:

And a decorated tree at Chinatown point:

Most people think this year's decorations looks a bit silly and not very traditional Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          Decorations on the wall of Hotel 81 Chinatown:

Most people think this year's decorations looks a bit silly and not very traditional Chinese.
          I actually to a certain degree agree... so many boxes... I'd rather see more Chinese dragons stretching back and forth across the road instead.
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            I actually to a certain degree agree... so many boxes... I'd rather see more Chinese dragons stretching back and forth across the road instead.
            Well, it is the "Year of the Water Snake" to come, so Dragon would probably not be the right thing for this New Year. (Actually the year ending is the Year of the Water Dragon)

A bit of info re: CNY celebration in Singapore this year: http://www.chinatownfestivals.sg/index.php

Comment

As many will have noticed I'm a bit occupied with the contrasts between new and old architecture and other things in Singapore.

Here is a few pictures of new and old buildings:

A row of preserved Shop houses in what used to be a "red light district" in Singapore:

Last edited by ombugge; January 27th, 2013, 11:58.

Comment

This a picture of what has been and what is coming in it's place:

The old block is Dragon Mansion, Block A, which is due to be demolished soon.

The bunting shows what is coming in it's place; a 36 story Condominium, with mostly small to very small flats.

PS> My In-Laws have been living in Dragon Mansion for 45 years and was not keen on selling, but was forced to do so due to a system called "enbloc sale" where, if more than 80 % of the Owners accept the price offered by a buyer the other 20% has to accept.

Comment

Tanjung Pagar Railway Station has eventually been taken over from Malaysian Railway and is now idle, awaiting a decision and a developer with some acceptable plans of what to use it for.
                  Meanwhile bushes are growing out of the facade:

The Railway tracks has mostly been removed but the platforms remain:

The building doesn't look like much from this side:

But the front is quite nice, as is some of the inside features. (Reported on earlier here on CVF)

Comment

The staging area is very large and very centrally located, so the land will fetch a good price, if the Government is willing to sell, that is:

The only thing left "active" is this small Hindu temple:

Malayan Railway was run by mostly Tamils, brought in from India by the British Colonial rulers.

Comment

A bit more CNY decorations from Singapore.
                      This one from a Shopping centre:

I think it was Thompson Plaza, but not sure. (We have too many Shopping Centres to keep track of them all. In fact I probably haven't visited more than half of them)

This is from a Hawker Centre in Henderson Road.
                      A half-Japanese hawker with an artistic streak make decorations out of discarded materials. For the CNY this year he decorated 1,000 Cooking oil plastic containers to hang around another Hawker Centre, and this snake, made from cloth hangers and bubble wraps:

Earlier I posted pictures of a "Cruise Ship" he made out of empty drink cans.

Comment

This must be one of the oldest companies in Singapore:

In 1654 Sigapore was nothing but a couple of Malay Kampongs, some Sea Gypsies and a small Chinese trading post at the mouth of Singapore River.

Comment

A new 5-star hotel has just opened at the fringes of Chinatown.
                          The Park Royal @ Pickering:

Some of the decorations were rather roughly made:

Comment

Somewhere in Bukit Merah we came upon these sculptures:

All made from different type and size of China ware

Comment

This sculpture was made from small medicine bottles, filled with different colour liquids:

I wouldn't be surprised if our Japanese friend have been involved here also. His stall is near by.

Comment

Oh yes –I do like those pottery and bottle sculptures

Comment

Working...
                                X