This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Singapore

What a brilliant idea to have kept a regular record of this “construction under wraps” –this very much appeals to me (as well as making me feel a little guilty about “things I ought to have photographed”! )
    As well as the interesting building procedure, I love the evening light too…already imagining the sunset photos and views the future occupants will be able to take from their expanse of windows and balconies!

Comment

The end result:

You may have noticed that the scaffolders are wearing Hard Hats, Safety boots and Safety Harness? They don't actually tie themselves to anything, because it would be impossible to work fast if you are restricted by a harness at all times. (HSE rules satisfied, wear your PPE)

This scaffolding is a lot more elaborate then what it used to be for a simple washing and painting job. Before there would be one "layer" of sticks and no planks and nets.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        You may have noticed that the scaffolders are wearing Hard Hats, Safety boots and Safety Harness? They don't actually tie themselves to anything, because it would be impossible to work fast if you are restricted by a harness at all times. (HSE rules satisfied, wear your PPE)

This scaffolding is a lot more elaborate then what it used to be for a simple washing and painting job. Before there would be one "layer" of sticks and no planks and nets.
        Yep - Safety Boots - not much fun when they're crimped to your foot by a passing train!
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Safety Boots have their limitations. Not much fun to have to cut away toes after the steel cap has been squashed either. (I had the honour once)

Comment

The new Maritime Museum at Resort World, Sentosa, start to get some replica boats in place:

The first were the Jewel of Muscat, which was sailed from Muscat to Singapore and given to the museum last year: http://www.jewelofmuscat.tv/en/node/3948
            Not easy to see on this picture as it the innermost in the right hand bay.

Comment

There have been a question about moving to Singapore and how things work here. Here is a link to a site that answers all such questions: http://www.gatewaysingapore.com/2012...mber_152909347

Comment

I don't often go to Clark Quay these days, but yesterday I walked through on my way to Chinatown:

The "mushrooms" seams to have lost some of their lushter.

Across the river the eateries was full of people on an ordinary Wednesday:

I tried to get some sucker being thrown into the air at the "reversed bungee":

But they disappeared above the upper rim of this picture.

Comment

In another thread there were some questions about the Mid-autumn Festival, which is on at the moment.
                  The Light-up in Chinatown lasts for the entire 8th Month, which means from the 1st day (New moon) through the actual Festival day (Full moon) until the day before the next new moon.
                  (This year the festival was celebrated on the 30th of Sept.)

Here is the light-up of Eu Tong Sen and New Bridge Road in Chinatown:

Comment

As seen from Dragon Bridge:

Comment

Dragon Bridge was decorated as well:

As was the nearest streets in Chinatown. Here Temple Street:

Comment

A more traditional Lantern display on the old Great Southern Hotel:

Now Yue Hwa Department Store, selling special products from China.

My first memory of Singapore is from this street, which looked VERY different then. I first walked around her as a stary eyed 15 year old getting my first impression of S.E.Asia:
                        Last edited by ombugge; October 4th, 2012, 03:47.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                          My first memory of Singapore is from this street, which looked VERY different then. I first walked around her as a stary eyed 15 year old getting my first impression of S.E.Asia:

They even had an ESSO gas station in Singapore...!
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                            It was the Ovaltine ad that struck me first!

Liked the flash-back and mention of your early memories, ombugge. And I have very happy memories of the Dragon Bridge on the walking tour with you, and pausing to photograph the Chinese lanterns. I was indeed thinking back to my Singapore visit a lot while seeing the TV coverage of the motor racing two weeks ago. From the helicopter shots (including in daylight during the afternoon practice sessions and support races) there were many fine views of the city, and of recent developments and places that I remember as building sites other than from seeing in your own more recent photos in this thread.

Comment

Love these old photos!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                                We still have Esso Stations in Singapore:

Comment

Working...
                                X