This is Singapore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Singapore

Are those tents I spot in the park, or just tents used to get some shade from the sun?
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      Are those tents I spot in the park, or just tents used to get some shade from the sun?
      Plenty of campers in Sembawang Park.

Comment

This years X-mas decorations along Orchard Road has been on for a while now. This years theme is ...... ???? Must be something to do with snow and ice I think:

Last edited by ombugge; December 1st, 2011, 07:24. Reason: Replace double pics

Comment

Comment

It is along the entire stretch from Tanglin Road to the Istana, but does not cover Bras Basha Road this year. I don't know if there are separate decorations at Marina area. (Never got that far lately)

Comment

I am surprised to see Christmas decorations. Is this a Christian section of town? Or, is it more a marketing thing, any excuse to put up pretty lights?

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                I am surprised to see Christmas decorations. Is this a Christian section of town? Or, is it more a marketing thing, any excuse to put up pretty lights?
                Singapore is a multi-racial, multi-cultural and multi-religious City/Country with just about any religion represented, except (maybe) VooDoo.
                Christianity is one of the main religions, with all major sects and cults therein represented. The other main religions are Buddisme, Taoisme, Islam and Hindu.
                Each of these religions get their main festivals marked with a Public Holiday. For Christianity that is 1st day of X-mas and Good Friday.

There is no such thing as Christian section or any other racial or religiously segregated sections in this town. On the contrary, mixing of races and religions in each neighbourhood is carefully monitored to ensure that there will not be any enclaves with one or the other "in majority".

Obviously the ethnic Chinese is in numerical majority in ALL neighbourhoods since they account for 77% of the total population, but they will be from different dialect groups and hold different religious beliefs.

As for the light-up in Orchard Road for X-mas, it is mainly for commercial reasons, as it is in every other place in the world today. Orchard Road being the primary shopping street for tourists and locals it has been the venue for the X-mas decorations for many years.

If you look back in this thread you will see the Depavali decorations in Little India and the Chinese New Year decorations in Chinatown, which is also very much a commercial thing.

Unfortunately I have not posted the Hari Raya decorations in Geylang Seria, mainly because I did not visit this year.
                Here is a few pics taken from the web:

Here is even an amateur video from Youtube:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UI1IEfWBMOM

You kind of proved your own point in another thread there Dane. Most people in Europe, and especially in America, know very little about the world outside their own continent. For some, even outside their own Country or State.

People outside America believe they know "all about it", but unfortunately it is as America appears in the movies and TV shows. Many confuse terms in law from America as if it applies in their own countries. They have probably seen too much "Law and Order".

Comment

I knew Singapore was very diverse. I did not think there was a large enough Christian population to have such a large public display of lights for the religion. I just assumed it was mostly commercial. Any reason to get people into the stores and buying gifts, even if it's not your holiday.

I am always amazed at the TV commercials and displays in the stores here in the USA. They push every holiday so hard trying to get you to buy. Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmans, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Mother's Day. All trying to convince you that you MUST have a large, illuminated 4 meter tall inflatable leprechaun on your front lawn. They have worked to make sure that there is almost always some holiday they can push.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                    I am always amazed at the TV commercials and displays in the stores here in the USA. They push every holiday so hard trying to get you to buy. Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmans, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Mother's Day. All trying to convince you that you MUST have a large, illuminated 4 meter tall inflatable leprechaun on your front lawn. They have worked to make sure that there is almost always some holiday they can push.
                    The same applies everywhere these days. Due to the dominance of Americana for the last 4 decades, especially through film and TV, the "culture" of celebrating all kinds of commercial days like Father/Mother's days, Valentine's day, Haloween etc. has spread to most of the world.
                    Needless to say, as the stubbourn old cynic that I am, I refuse to participate in any of it.

Even "believing" in Santa clause who, in his present form was invented by CocaCola, is wide spread in countries that has no tradition of celebrating X-mas.
                    This is part of the ongoing "Globalization" (or Americanization?), whether we like it or not.

Now for some more from modern day Singapore.
                    Singapore's answer to Grand Canyon:

A back lane between Shanton Way and Robinson Road.

They may have Cows in Telemark, in Singapore we have Elephants:

This one looks a little sad:

But so would you do if you were left out in the midday sun like this.

Actually there were more than just Elephants on display at Raffles Place today:

Is it in conjunction with some festival, or collection drive for a charity, or whatever?? I have no idea why.
                    Last edited by ombugge; November 25th, 2011, 12:54.

Comment

I went for a little "cruise" to OPL West yesterday and took quite a few pictures of ships and boats, but also some long range views.
                      Many of those could qualify as Skyscapes as the cloud formations are more prominent than the vessels at anchor in most of them. I therefore chose to post them here. Detailed pictures of ships will be posted in other threads.

Leaving from Harbourfront Ferry Terminal I took this nearly B&W picture of the Ferry Terminal and Cruise Terminal next door:

Until I noticed I had accidentally set the camera to a wrong setting and took this one as comparison:

But not before I managed to take a near B&W picture of a Cruise Ship at the Cruise Terminal:

Comment

Coming out from Keppel Harbour and heading West, I took some pictures of the development of the new Container Terminal:

It is progressing quite rapidly:

They are obviously using the weight of the extra sand to compact the reclaimed land as quick as possible.

The wharf front that was shown in an earlier post in this thread as floating caissons are now lined up and firmly "planted" on the seabed:

Comment

Heading further West we get a view of the existing Pasir Panjang Container Terminal on Stbd. side:

An approaching Container Ship with Jurong Island in the background:

Jurong Island is a centre for Oil refineries and Petrochemical industry:

Comment

On Port side we have the VLCC anchorage:

Although it looks like a large Maersk Container ship has managed to "sneak" in there as well.

Back to Stbd side. Jurong West Anchorage with a number of smaller tankers and a Drilling rig in view:

A VLCC has picked up Pilot and tugs at Western Boarding Ground B and heading for the VLCC wharfs at Jurong Island:

Way out in the Strait is a FPSO of the purpose built type:

Not a converted VLCC. (Looks like a Bluewater vessel)

Comment

As always there are sand being transported to/from somewhere:

Tuas West reclaimed land is coming into view:

As is the ships at anchor at OPL West:

The "usual suspects" are here:

Some of the tankers seen here is "permanently" anchored here, doing "ship-to-Ship" transfer and storage.

Comment

I couldn't resist putting this picture in here. Container ships doesn't look any better when they are empty than when it has the deck full of containers:

Comment

Working...
                                X