Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

(Next instalment:- Do you fancy a swim?)

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post

Looking in the distance towards the airport at Changi.
          This is not Changi but old Paya Lebar Airport. The former main civilian airport in Singapore, now a military air strip, with what looks like a C135 coming in to land.

Comment

…but here it is in context. This view also shows the barrage which will make the river and Marina Bay a freshwater reservoir.

It is already fresh water, I have tasted it. The Barrage is the bit in front, and it is completed. The major development in the back (and on the next two pictures) is the cofferdam for a sub-sea tunnel for the new Coastal Highway under construction.
            Last edited by ombugge; October 29th, 2010, 17:57.

Comment

The funny looking structure in #360, and in the foreground in 361, is part of the new Botanic Garden, as is everything you see from #363 to #366.
              How it will all look when completed in 2012 I don't know, but it is bound to be something special and spectacular.

Comment

Ah, thank you so much Ombugge -.that explains why I ‘d thought this didn’t look major enough, though arriving and leaving in darkness and being whisked to and fro in an organised group I didn’t really get much impression of what Changi looks like!

The new botanic garden will surely be amazing. I remember you’d mentioned a new one was being made when you showed photos of the existing one that will nevertheless still be retained, but I had not realised where the new gardens would be located. It will be fascinating to follow the progress of all these developments.

Comment

Stunning views from Singapore... WAOW.... the city looks so big and clean now, like it almost always have.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Ah, thank you so much Ombugge -.that explains why I ‘d thought this didn’t look major enough, though arriving and leaving in darkness and being whisked to and fro in an organised group I didn’t really get much impression of what Changi looks like!

The new botanic garden will surely be amazing. I remember you’d mentioned a new one was being made when you showed photos of the existing one that will nevertheless still be retained, but I had not realised where the new gardens would be located. It will be fascinating to follow the progress of all these developments.
                    Changi Airport is situated on the East side of the island, mostly on reclaimed land, as is the Expressway from there to the City Centre. It was opened in 1981, but with an additional Terminal 2 sometime in the early 1990s and the new Terminal 3 only a couple of years ago.
                    I seldom see anything of the airport either, since I normally arrive "just in time" for departure, already checked in via the net, or by SMS.
                    On arrival I walk through from the gate to the taxi stand in 10 min. or so. No long ques are allowed at Changi Airport, that is probably why it has been voted the world's best airport in most world wide polls since it first opened. Here is a link for those who are planning to visit: http://www.changiairport.com/

The new Botanic Garden is briefly mentioned in post # 132 and 133 of this thread, with a few pics.

Comment

Goodness I had completely missed that earlier post about the new gardens - must have got distracted by the monitor lizard! – or just forgot, for at the time I had never even looked at a map of Singapore and had no idea that I would be going there and contributing to this thread! More soon (after lunch)...

Comment

I’m heading from the observation area to the other end of the SkyPark where the swimming pool is situated.

Comment

Earlier, I had taken this picture from the other side, poking my camera out to look towards the swimming pool end. The man in the foreground is doing some maintenance. Well, this view is fascinating, once you have actually been to the other end….

Comment

The first surprise (although you can see there are trees up there from the distant views of the building) is to find this pleasant park.

Comment

...but nothing quite prepares you for the sight of the “infinity pool”!:

Comment

The following pictures are taken from the end of the pool, parallel to the avenue of trees, where visitors may sit and watch; the far end of the SkyPark is for hotel residents only, as is access to the sun terraces and the use of all the pool itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X