This is the Arctic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is the Arctic

At first there was one passenger by his/herself right at the tip of the bow and so obviously darting from side to side in excitement and several times leaning over the side to see the ice below the water surface.
    Funny you noticed - it was me

Comment

Thank you for this trip to Greenland, PanjiS... I understand why it is so difficult to come back.
      And I love the time lapse. I think I would also spend all my time here at the bow of the ship... Such a special place.
      MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
      Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
      My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Some facts about the melting ice in the Arctic: http://barentsobserver.com/en/arctic...-thinner-02-07

The hype and "experts" presented by the "normal" media is not much to go by.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Nice transition for the photos I was about to post...

Last year I said I had been a bit frustrated not to go nearer the sea ice during a Svalbard to Greenland trip.
          Last month I took another trip (I caught the arctic bug I guess) because I knew I had a very slight chance to see it during this one too.
          It paid off this time. I was so excited and/or could not believe it when the captain said he was going after the ice ... I did not believe it until I saw it actually.

Here are a few pictures for you. They were taken at 76°N somewhere between Greenland and Svalbard but closer to Greenland...

And the lesson learnt here is: you never know when you get out of it. The forecast was completely wrong and we navigated through it for 36 hours (which shortened the rest of the trip but was well worth it...) I can still hear the "bang" of the growlers against the ship...

Under the midnight sun (I went to bed at 3am that night ...)

Last edited by PanjiS; August 1st, 2013, 22:27. Reason: latitude correction

Comment

All this is one-year ice (so very thin)

Comment

A local inhabitant...

I don't have a picture of them as they were too far away - we once saw a mother polar bear and two cubs swimming in the far distance at sea. It was quite emotional as we remained all very silent in awe on deck looking at them in their inhabitat... wondering if the cubs would make it...

Tourists...

Comment

Originally posted by PanjiS View Post
                Under the midnight sun (I went to bed at 3am that night ...)

I am in absolute awe.
                Pure magic. The ice, the sea, the light... Magic.
                MS Lofoten April 2006, March 2012, Feb 2013. MS Polarlys Dec 2010. MS Fram Feb 2009, Sep 2011.
                Upcoming : MS Fram Dec 2013, MS Lofoten Sep 2014
                My travelblog : http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com. Hurtigruten, Antarctica, Svalbard, Norway (and other places...).

Comment

Pure magic. The ice, the sea, the light... Magic.
                  Isn't it ?
                  It summarizes well the atmosphere of that beautiful night. Almost everybody had gone to bed, except the captain second mate and some guides that were trying to find polar bears (no luck for this but never mind ...). So peaceful ...

Comment

Having had the good fortune of similar experience across on the other coast of Greenland, I am so immensely thrilled for you that you were able to get close to the ice this trip. Awesome images.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                      Having had the good fortune of similar experience across on the other coast of Greenland, I am so immensely thrilled for you that you were able to get close to the ice this trip. Awesome images.
                      Awesome indeed. It's a word that has lost its way a bit lately, but the sheer silence, size and scale that the photos capture really are awe-inspiring.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

amazing photos from the arctic and Greenland, brought back memories of flying over Greenland with BA looking down on Greenland. what a wonderful world. thank you for sharing PanjiS.

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

This series of pictures from an expedition to East Coast of Greenland this summer have some interesting pictures, new and old, from a part of Greenland that is not yet visited by most cruise ships: http://www.smp.no/kultur/article8167943.ece

The expedition vessel is also well known to some CVF members.

PS> Full article is available in their paper version today, or in pdf format here: https://www.buyandread.com/pub.htm?pub=sunnmorsposten

PPS> Whoever own the publishing site must have a good sense of humor.
                          Last edited by ombugge; August 29th, 2013, 03:42. Reason: Add PS

Comment

Here is a link to a BBC magazine article about a 19th century Arctic explorer that you might not have ever heard about – Benjamin Leigh Smith.

Comment

I'll wake up this thread by some pictures from the Arctic found on Reuters News: http://www.reuters.com/news/picture/...eId=USRTX1OK47

Comment

Heard the one about the "Doomsday Vault" on Svalbard being flooded and the permafrost is melting?
                                Well, it isn't entirely factual: http://arcticjournal.com/climate/318...so-great-flood
                                Donald Trump is right, there are a lot of "fake news" out there, but this one may not be one such he is concerned about.

Comment

• nari
                                  nari commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Yes, the drama unfolded quickly here in the papers; the photographs did show that the floor was a bit soggy.
                                  The seed vaults were quite dry according to reports. What will eventuate as the permafrost continues to melt is anyone's guess.
                              Working...
                              X