No announcement yet.

This is the Arctic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftgruppe Vest is the Royal Danish Air Force in Greenland.

Comment

As is appropriate for the place in Greenland with the most metalled road, the next few photos have a transport theme. They include ones that could equally have found a place in our forum’s “abandoned” threads, but they are all a part of the Kangerlussuaq story.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Some buildings ….starting with the church

Comment

Post Office

There is a museum…if at a later date I show any photos from inside, it will be in the aviation section.

Comment

Commercial premises

A congress centre

Comment

Perhaps the most modern premises…

….and there is also this house under construction.

Comment

Typical housing blocks…

…and in contrast, and considerable less typical, a house with garden and a greenhouse!

Comment

This house was a little further out and rather more like the Danish style of other places in Greenland

Comment

Comment

As on the previous picture, one notices aerials and associated buildings arouns and on the mountain top. Many technical installations are scattered around the area, which has always figured in radar, communications, and many aspects of scientific research. (Indeed the reason the name Kangerlussuaq was so familiar to me prior to coming here was as the site of a station for receiving weather satellite data.)

Comment

I’m sure I look a LOT more photos than most people did that day in Kangerlussuaq. And I’m not going to apologise at all for posting so many here. For the “different-ness” of the place fascinated me, and the mood on that predominantly cloudy day caught my imagination. I kept thinking “what a perfect place to shoot a movie”. There was something slightly disturbing about it, something of a time warp about its curious juxtapositions. The divide between man-made and nature seemed particularly sharply drawn.

Actually I wish I’d taken more…or different pictures, more details also, especially in the light of inspiration from images on the pages of this forum that have appeared since. I’d love to go back there…and on that day I wouldn’t hope for the sun to shine.

Comment

Working...
                                X