This is the Arctic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is the Arctic

How interesting to see flying buttresses on a small wooden church.

Comment

I just have to repeat: Coulours!!! Marvellous. And you have the ability to discover the most beautiful compositions!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
        I allowed some time to wander up to the church. It was originally built in Thule in 1930 and moved here in 1963.

Looks like those "chandeliers" (?) might have been oil fire in the past?
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
          Looks like those "chandeliers" (?) might have been oil fire in the past?
          I imagine the light fittings you see are from when the church was moved here. But originally, lighting generally was from oil from rendered seal or whale blubber.

Comment

Greenland #15 – Kangerlussuaq

The next morning disembarkation from Fram is by polar cirkel boats, and transport has been arranged to Kangerlussuaq. The flight back to Copenhagen will not be until the evening, and we have a spectacular excursion to come. But first I’d like to show you photos of Kangerlussuaq.

It isn’t a settlement in the way other places featured in this thread are. When an American air base was founded here in 1941, there was no existing Inuit settlement. During the years of the cold war it was expanded as Sondrestrom Air Base. Since 1992 it has been under Greenlandic government control, taking the name Kangerlussuaq, and houses a civilian community servicing the airport, associated tourism, and some technical facilities.

Many of the buildings date from the American period, and the place has very much a “base” rather than “town” feel to it, perhaps accentuated on a day of grey cloud, matching the muted colours of the alluvial flat plains where the rivers reach the fjord.

Comment

Comment

We had use of facilities at the Science centre where refreshments and lunch were available.

Comment

The school.

Comment

Shop…café…pub…

Comment

Comment

I’m not sure if this still operates as a hotel, but the Hotel Tuttu still provides hostel-type accommodation. (There is also a hotel attached to the airport building.)

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X