No announcement yet.

This is the Arctic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had each been given a card – colour coded to match notices displayed at the kaffemik host houses.

This was the house I was to visit:

Comment

Three guests had already arrived.

I asked the hostess if I might take a few photos and she was happy for me to do so. I was admiring many of the charming handicrafts she had on display, and in a mix of English and the few words of my rudimentary Swedish, which possibly were just about intelligible to a Danish speaker, I learned about some of the family in the many photographs you can see in the above picture.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Altogether a charming experience much appreciated by Fram’s passengers.

Next I stroll around the village and witness a new but already well established tradition of Fram’s visits to Itilleq.

Comment

Re: This is the Arctic

This is a trip high up on my "want to" list.... through your images you have showed us how incredibly colorful and truly special these places are.

None of my cruise ship calls to this area comes close to your experience.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Re: This is the Arctic

Oooh!! The colourful pictures of Greenland again. And we are allowed to have a look into one of these small houses. How interesting! Thank you so much. This is a really unique information!
                  Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    ....None of my cruise ship calls to this area comes close to your experience.
                    Pakarang, I can understand that. Greenland seems to me to definitely be the kind of destination in which a smaller “explorer” type ship can offer a greater overall experience than is possible with even the finest of larger cruise ships.

Ralf, good to see you enjoying the house visit…I’ve saved one photo for inclusion in the “Greenlanders" thread, along with other photos of residents of Itilleq.

Comment

The new “tradition” I mentioned is that on Fram’s visits to Itilleq, (and she calls here on the shorter Greenland itineraries also), is a football game between the crew and the local folk! All rather “free-form” and lots of fun, and yes Fram’s passengers are very welcome to join the team too.

I was more of a blue jacket supporter, mingling with the local folk who really enjoy all the fun and involvement with their visitors.
                      Apparently it is the locals who usually win the game!

Comment

I allowed some time to wander up to the church. It was originally built in Thule in 1930 and moved here in 1963.

Comment

More impressions of the the village:

Comment

Comment

Comment

I think we were all a little sad to be saying goodbye as we made our way to the boats and back to the ship.

Comment

Working...
                                X