This is the Arctic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is the Arctic

Beautiful photos. It's amazing looking at the shape of the sides of the icebergs at how high the waves break up on their sides.

Comment

The line of sediments is particularly interesting and for me, amazing... such a tiny and sharp long line.

Absolutely wonderful reflections in the ice: reminds me that even this cold thingy can be beautiful.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Some "bonus image" from later that evening and the following morning…

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I so want to travel the Arctic - or the Antarctic - again, especially after seeing all these images.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

You call those "bonus"? They are fantastic!

Comment

Greenland #14 – Itilleq

Continuing the story of an amazing voyage in Greenland aboard Fram, I am making my last trip ashore.

Comment

We are visiting the small settlement of Itilleq. Possibly it is closest to what many tourists are expecting when they think of a Greenlandic village, a scattering of small colourful houses among the rocks in picturesque surroundings, and as neat and tidy as Greenland gets.

Comment

Panorama of the village, with Fram visible in the distance.

Comment

View from the higher ground, looking across the water to the mountains beyond.

Comment

Comment

Comment

It had been arranged for us to visit a Greenlander’s house. Whilst this might sound a little tourist-contrived, perhaps especially after the chance encounters with local people which had so moved me in Kraulshavn, it is not entirely the case. There exists a social tradition among the local people which is called “kaffemik” – people drop by in each others homes for coffee, cake, and conversation, exchange the latest news and gossip, and perhaps some family event or other is being celebrated.

Naturally there are some matters of etiquette to be aware of. One must remember to take off ones shoes on entering a house, and not overstay the welcome as it is important that there is enough coffee and cake for everyone. The Greenlanders are immensely hospitable people, and when foreigners are invited to a kaffemik and if you have a common language they are more than happy to talk about their life, culture and family.

Comment

Working...
                                X