No announcement yet.

This is the Arctic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was particularly fascinated by this painting in which one seems to be looking at a seal swimming, but in fact it is only its eye. And there are reflection in the eye also, like looking at the sky. I loved this complexity, the extra dimensions, “multi-layers” that are being expressed in these paintings.

Comment

Polar bears

Comment

There was also a series of studies of polar bears, in settings of ice and of the northern lights.

Comment

Comment

…in this one it seemed to me as if the icicles mimicked the open jaw and teeth and poise of a hunting bear.

Comment

Here is a magnificent sculpture in whalebone by Karl Kristoffersen.

Comment

Finally, some traditional tupilak carvings…

Comment

Comment

Comment

Trying not to get too many trips in arrears!!! – here are some I was about to post before going away again on a very different cruise three weeks ago.

Still in Ilulissat , a few further images before it was time to return to Fram.

The church.

Comment

Sculpture

Comment

Comment

Comment

The harbour

Comment

Strait Signet,taken from the Polar Cirkel boat on the way back to Fram

…and an opportunity to capture this special view!

Comment

Working...
                                X