• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional costume and beadwork

Comment

Comment

Hong Kong cafe... ...

That platter of various foods seems to be delicious. Wouldn't mind trying some of those things..
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Lady C- I find it amazing how the beadwork from the Arctic resembles the beadwork of Native American Indians!!!!!!

Comment

It is sometimes surprising how things from different parts of the world seem to relate to each other, and I suppose there are many reasons for this, such as similarity deriving from similar materials being available, or in other cases there might be an actual connection or influence far back in history. In other instances it may almost seem that there is a deep-down human instinct to make things or see colours or patterns in a certain way.

Whatever the reasons, these things are always fascinating. Here on CV I remember how a table cloth of pakarang’s looked to some like Norwegian Sami whereas it was actually from north eastern Thailand.

Comment

In the Art Museum...

There is also an art gallery to visit in Ilulissat, and this was my next destination. It is situated up above the harbour.

There was a marvellous exhibition of paintings by the Danish artist Emanuel A. Petersen. Here are some of my favourites.

Comment

Scenes of everyday life in a Greenlandic settlement

Comment

Comment

Hunting on the ice

Comment

A Danish settlement from the colonial period

Comment

Naturally some paintings depicted the sea and ships.

Comment

Comment

I should perhaps mention that I am not sure whether exhibits in the gallery were on temporary exhibition or were part of a permanent collection. I was pleased to be able to take some photographs, and hope that showing them here helps bring this art to wider public.
                            In the next installment I will show you some contemporary Greenlandic art on display in this Art Museum.

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                              Lady C- I find it amazing how the beadwork from the Arctic resembles the beadwork of Native American Indians!!!!!!
                              It may have something to do with their same origin, in Central Asia. Some took a wrong turn and ended up in Greenland, while other went to Arizona.

Comment

Some contemporary art on display was by Malersorniannguaq.

This was one of a series inspired by traditional costume. The frame to these boots depicts the frame on which would be stretched the sealskin from which the boots are made. I showed some examples of this earlier in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X