Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

We sat for a while in the warm sunshine. Continuing from here there are a number of routes that may be taken, clearly marked and colour-coded.

Comment

Comment

If you should ever be in Ilulissat but with limited time at your disposal, the walk to the Ice Fjord is for sure what you should do!

Comment

These photographs are so incredibly beautiful, I feel like printing some of them out and hanging them round my study walls so that I can feel as if I am really there amongst the snowscapes. Thank you, Cecilia.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

For someone who has only experienced these landscapes from movies and earlier still photographies from others, your pictures are impressive, Cecilia!!!!

I'm sitting here looking, looking, looking....
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Lady C... what are we going to do with you?

These images make me crave to go traveling around the world, to Greenland, Arctica, Iceland, Faroe Islands... anywhere as long as there is something to see. Inspiring thread!
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    Lady C... what are we going to do with you?....
                    Ummmm….Fortunately, a rhetorical question!!!!!!!!!!!

Right…it’s time for lunch in Ilulissat…..

Comment

Ilulissat continued – Lunch!

Although one could return to the ship for lunch, returning to the steps at the quai and taking the Polar Cirkel boats “shuttle service” seemed unnecessarily time consuming, especially as there were several cafes in the town. In fact I decided on an even more ambitious plan.

If you have been following this thread from the start, you may recollect that I had taken a boat trip in Uummannaq. Had they not put on an extra boat to accommodate everyone who had put their names down, I would have joined an alternative “excursion” – buffet lunch at the hotel to sample Greenlandic specialities! Perhaps this had lingered in my mind (especially as the experience had been reported as enjoyable by the participants).

Well, on the road we had taken on the walk to the Ilulissat Ice Fjord, we had passed a place that one of our guides had mentioned was probably the best restaurant in town. After the walk, and regaining the road I was perfectly located to give it a try! And it was just opening for lunch!

Comment

Being in a “town” still felt strange, perhaps even more so returning from the ice fjord, and entering that restaurant was really extraordinary. I could have been in Copenhagen…though looking out of the windows at the brightly coloured nearby houses, perhaps my first experience of Reykjavik in Iceland many years ago describes it exactly. Both these cities have gained a reputation for fine cuisine firmly based on local ingredients, and in stylish yet also welcomingly homely surroundings.

Comment

I was seated in a part of the restaurant with a lovely view and having it to myself was able to take some photos without disturbing anyone.

Comment

Last edited by Seagull; April 22nd, 2011, 15:24.

Comment

The perfect choice for me was a platter consisting if many meat and fish varieties. (Just don’t expect me to be able to tell you which was which!) …but it was absolutely delicious.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X