No announcement yet.

This is the Arctic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A flight of wooden steps leads up the rocks from the landing pier.

Comment

It was time to start my exploration of the town!

Comment

After being in the far north, it seemed strange to see the rows of terraced houses and apartment blocks…

Comment

…there were cafes, and tourists other than just those from Fram!

Comment

Did you notice the pedestrian crossing sign on the right of the last photo?

…and there is even a buss stop!!!!

Comment

Lots of signs with directions for tourists…

… even a German consulate and travel agency.

Comment

Along the street were several souvenir shops…

…and a bank.

Comment

There are some REALLY BRILLIANT shots in this thread!
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Ilulissat continued –a walk to Sermermiut and the Ice Fjord

At this point it was time to meet up with the groups who were going to take walks and hikes.

We were soon at the outskirts of the town. The apartment blocks are a reminder that for many still making a living in the traditional way, such accommodation has its drawbacks…where to keep the dogs for example. The answer is at hand, as the road skirts a swathe of land littered with small outhouses and places where the sled dogs dogs can be kept.

Comment

Seen at the side of the road…

…a sled

…. and I naturally had to pause and photograph this reminder of Norway! (A subsequent internet search reveals that the company deal in “hunting and fishing equipment and special products”.)

Comment

One group were taking a route up past the cemetery.

Comment

Soon the road comes to an end, and the way continues via a recently constructed board walk.

Sermermiut is an place of ancient Inuit settlement dating back thousands of years.

Comment

We head uphill now, scrambling through a gap between the rocks, heads down watching our footing ….and then look up, and gasp out load in utter amazement. Nothing had prepared me for the sight that now confronted me –the view of the Ice Fjord!

Comment

Thinking back, I suppose the only pictures I had come across of the ice fjord were from the sea…a boat trip like I would be experiencing later that afternoon. It is, as I will show you later, very beautiful to sail amongst icebergs (and there is a chance of seeing whales too), but for me the view of the Ice Fjord from the landside is unique, breathtaking and totally unforgettable.

It was quite unlike any other “icescape” that I had seen before, either in the Arctic or in Antarctica.

Comment

I tried to take some images to show both rock and ice. Even that sudden surreal transition doesn’t make it any easier to realise that this is not ice-covered land, but a fjord! The scale of this magnificence is also hard to grasp, and I was pleased when some people clambered further down the rocks so that I could include them in my photo.

Comment

Working...
                                X