Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A panorama looking towards the glacier.

Comment

Higher still one can follow a route which members of the expedition team have marked with flags.

Comment

It was an exhilarating and enjoyable walk.
        On the way back I paused to photographs plants and lichen amongst the stones, sometimes vividly bright and sometimes a subtle blend of subtle natural tones.

Comment

Comment

Considering temperature and wind it was decided to have a barbeque dinner back onboard Fram rather than ashore as is sometimes done here, but we remained at anchor, enjoying the views and later an incomparable sunset.

Comment

… and in the other direction as it grew darker, hazy moonlight worked its magic over the glacier’s ice.

Comment

wow,i said WOW.
                it's unbelieveble beautiful there,even that a lot of the citicens use there gardens for there garbage.
                but the last series of imags it's almost paradise,a cold paradise.
                but what a sight at image 275,whish i was there at that moment.AWESOME
                best regards Thijs

Comment

This and other thread from Seagull's Greenland adventure has been fascinating to follow. Even though I don't often posts Oww and Ahh comments, I've been following every installment. Being an "animal of the Tropics" makes it even more "exotic".

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    Even though I don't often posts Oww and Ahh comments, I've been following every installment.
                    Very well said, Ombugge. I am the same, very rarely do i comment, but i do love following threads such as these. Lot's to learn, and lot's of simply stunning photos to enjoy. So many times when looking at so many of the photos, i do hear myself saying "Oww, Ahh and Wow" lots of times. And the thing i really love about threads such as these - following them always gives me such a sense or actually being there.
                    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Thank you both. I’m so pleased you are enjoying the thread. Indeed there are quite a few enthusiastic followers, which is why I am posting many more photos than it was ever my intention of doing!
                      Now we have reached rather a famous place, and there will certainly be a lot of pictures, so this section will take several sessions for me to prepare and post.

Comment

Greenland #13 – Ilulissat

I’ll start with a stitched-together panorama taken as Fram approached our next destination – one of those pictures which, while not being especially photo-worthy, nevertheless might succeed in conveying to you that we are arriving at a major town by Greenlandic standards! As we had been unable to land at Upernavik, our last landing (other than at a glacier) had been the tiny settlement of Kraulshavn, so you can see that it was indeed one extreme to the other!

Ilulissat is undoubtedly an important tourist destination in Greenland, and the variety of optional activities we could choose from that day reflected this –everything from trips in a small local boat to helicopter flights, and walks and hikes of varying lengths.

So what is it that makes Ilulissat such an appealing destination? That is an easy question to answer – it is the Ice Fjord!
                        Immediately south of the town lies a fjord, which extends from the ice sheet to Disco Bay. The fast-flowing glacier Sermeq Kujalleq results in a large number of icebergs in the fjord, some of which are so large that they may remain for years before breaking up and finally emerging into the sea. I have seen a figure of 35 cubic kilometres of ice a year quoted for the amount of ice produced by the glacier. The Ilulissat Icefjord became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2004.

For the special reason I described elsewhere, I chose not to book a helicopter flight, instead opting for the boat trip. I was pleased to have been allotted the last boat in the late afternoon, enabling me to take a guided hike in the morning. That left some time before the hike, as well a much of the afternoon, to visit the museums and explore the town on my own.

The harbour is busy with fishing boats and commercial activity. Fram anchored and our landings were by our Polar Cirkel boats which provided a shuttle tender service throughout the day. The landing pier is just off the panorama photo, to the left of the tanks.

Comment

Comment

I had been taking more zoomed-in views of the town and the gulls on a nearby rock, when I realised a boat was approaching Fram. This would take the first group on their boat trip, and they would be picked up directly from the ship.

Comment

Off they went in the direction of the ice, the Polar Cirkel boats resumed their shuttle service, and I was soon heading to shore.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X