This is the Arctic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Boff!! This is wallpaper quality. I bet you will not be able to post more beautiful pictures in here. These last five are 100% perfect!!

Congratulations!

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Greenland #10 – Kraulshavn

After that full moon and the most spectacular of sunsets, the following day was to have been a day at sea. But later in the afternoon there was an announcement –our marvellous expedition leader had arranged a bonus landing for us. We were invited to make a visit at the tiny settlement of Kraulshavn. It turned out to be the most enduring and special memory of this already remarkable voyage.

In the previous post, Ralf has been talking about “beautiful” pictures.
        Among my photographs of Kraulshavn there are things that at first sight seem to demand very different adjectives.

Houses, shacks many of them, that appear dilapidated and neglected, the remains of a burnt out church, rubbish strewn around haphazardly, smelly garbage cascading down a cliff….
        First I’ll show you pictures….let you choose your adjectives…then later I will change your mind….

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I climbed up onto the hilltop above the mass of rubbish, and looked down in the opposite direction. Look more closely, and you will see that the red building further back in the centre of the picture has a burnt out collapsed roof . It is…was… the church. I already showed some photos in the abandoned properties thread –please do look at them if you haven’t already done so, or maybe look once again, now in the context of this seemingly sad-looking settlement.

(to be continued….)

Comment

What is happening here? All other villages seemed to be in well shape, even if abandoned, but here people seem to be very frustrated. Alcohol problems?
                          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I was expecting and welcome exactly such a post as yours Ralf, for it means that so far I have been successful in showing the view through our western eyes ….

…. but patience, for there is more to come, and in particular you have not actually met anyone yet!

Comment

I thought a lot about the church. Initially it seemed so shocking for it to have been left so long in that state after the fire, even through the eyes of a visitor lacking any formal Christian religious convictions.

Piles of stones prevalent in places amongst the wooden crosses in the cemetery …were there more here than elsewhere? It was difficult to be sure. I knew so little about Greenland before I came here, and there was so much to experience and discover and learn. But I can’t help feeling that the statistically strong Lutherian religion sits somehow side by side with older beliefs and convictions to a greater extent than one might suppose.

Comment

I was rather drawn to this dwelling, could imagine living there, and this is a photograph that seems like a kind of “skyscape” a couple of months before I started taking daily images in that particularly personal way. To me there is something optimistic about it.

Close by there was another house actually in the process of construction. Yet strangely I embraced this less readily, so astonishing a sight it seemed in a place I now realise I had already completely accepted “as is”. Below and just off to the left of this photo the garbage tumbles down the cliff, and above is the place where I took a panorama of connections with a wider world.

Comment

Working...
                                X