This is the Arctic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greenland #9 – Siorapaluk

Fram was now heading south, and I was out on deck straight after breakfast. Our next landing was to be the settlement of Siorapaluk which, if you look at the map, is still further north than Qaanaaq.

Comment

Our daily information sheet told us that Siorapaluk is the northernmost settlement in the world, because only research stations, mining camps and the like are further north, whereas this a real place where hunters and fishermen live.

It was easy to photograph the entire settlement from where Fram anchored!

Comment

The ship arranged to post all our postcards from the little post office.

Comment

Comment

The name of the settlement means “little sand” and indeed the beach looks nothing less than idyllic. It seemed bizarre to see bits of icebergs washed up on the sand!

Comment

After wandering along the shore for a while, I headed uphill, and got a good view of Fram.

Looking the opposite direction along the valley, I assume the blue pipe was a water supply.

Comment

The tiny specks of our blue anoraks indicate the scale of the scenery in the valley.

Comment

Now how about this for an airport! – well helipad to be strictly accurate.

Right on cue, I heard a noise and looked up to see the familiar red colour of Air Greenland

Comment

The helicopter was soon on its way, too fast for me to frame my photo to include the rotor! This may have already been some of our postcards on the first stage of their journey!

Comment

Comment

Some final impressions of Siorapaluk before I returned to the ship. But as you will see later, I would have many more photos for the Greenlanders thread, and I was to have the opportunity to take some in a familiar setting!

Comment

Comment

Later that night, out on deck aboard Fram

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X