This is the Arctic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greenland – the story so far!

I thought this would be a good moment to pause, look back at this Arctic journey I’ve described so far, and forward to the return voyage.

So I’ve made a map!

There is indeed something in common with the regular Hurtigruten route in Norway, in that places bypassed northbound are visited on the voyage south, and of course the northernmost area is also the more remote and least populated.

I have not been to the capital of Greenland, Nuuk, in the south of the country. The airport where the international flights from Copenhagen land is at Kangerlussuaq, just north of the Arctic Circle at the head of a long fjord.(Søndre Strømjford) and the start and end point of the voyage aboard Fram.

I have labelled the northbound destinations in red and the southbound in blue. Localities marked with an asterisk indicate extra unscheduled landings. (As I will explain later in the narrative, we were unable to make the scheduled landing southbound at Upernavik.)

As I write this (already some 18 months since the voyage! ), I am looking at the current Hurtigruten brochure for the coming summer, and note that this longer itinerary is unfortunately not operating in 2011 (no doubt due to Fram now spending so much of the season in Svalbard).

The shorter 8-day west coast itinerary, called Glaciers and icebergs of Greenland in the UK brochure, goes only as far north as just beyond Uummannaq on this map.

Comment

This is now an 11-page amazing tourist advert and a spectacular report from our resident Lady C!

I can only bow my head in respect and offer my most sincere thank you for sharing this great thread with all of us. I do realize we have so far been on an amazing journey to an amazing place, and with your brilliant skills behind the camera, I actually feel as if I was there with you!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

There is nothing to add to J-O's comment. I enjoyed this thread (and also the pictures and comments in the Fram-thread) very much and will return many, many times.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Greenland #8 – Farthest North!

The following day after visiting Qaanaaq was theoretically an “at-sea” day, but we were nevertheless in sight of land – just don’t ask me regarding any particular photo to remember which side of the ship I took it from, and hence whether you are seeing a bit of Greenland or a bit of Ellesmere Island on the Canadian side!!!!!

The big moments of this day were mentioned in our forum –in Fram’s thread –a long time ago, shortly after I returned from Greenland, but let me remind you of them here and select a few more photos. There are also some photos that I have just posted under the heading “Unusual aspects of an Explorer Cruise”, also in Fram’s thread.

We had spent much of the day sailing through Smith Sound, the southern part of the Nares Strait, to reach the Kane Basin.

Comment

Comment

There was a lot happening out on deck, and with the continuing good weather the “Plan B” of lectures was left for another day, but I did go indoors briefly during the afternoon to enjoy freshly made waffles in the Panorama lounge. My travel mascot Sea-Troll is, as many of you know, very partial to such treats!

Comment

At around five in the afternoon Fram, comparatively suddenly, reach the edge of the sea ice. And then came the announcement we all wanted to hear…POLAR BEAR!!!!!!!!!!! See all about it here in Fram’s thread.

Fram followed the ice edge for a while after that. Although there were no further polar bear sightings, the scenery was unforgettably magnificent.

Comment

Comment

We reached the furthest north Fram had ever been! 79° 40´N
                    Now that she is doing trips to Svalbard, I assume she will have improved on that, reaching 80°, but back in the year 2009 I had been aboard her in both hemispheres for both the farthest north AND the farthest south she had reached!

Later, celebrations were held on deck.

Comment

Captain Rune Andreasson and Anja Erdmann, our Expedition Leader

Comment

Some more images from that memorable day…

Comment

Comment

It was time to change direction and head south.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                              Later, celebrations were held on deck.

anf from there became your images a little on focused.

great images Cecillia
                              they are stunning,a place were you can come to rest,the calmness of the sea,floating icebergs.
                              most be beautiful there to be
                              Last edited by janihudi; March 19th, 2011, 18:42. Reason: beautifull as ever but wrong
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post

It was time to change direction and head south.
                                Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... what a comforting and calming image: the absolute perfect seascape!
                                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                                X