No announcement yet.

This is the Arctic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a shop called Ultima Thule selling handicrafts of high quality.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I will be posting more photographs taken in Qaanaaq in the parallel thread Greenlanders in the People of the World section. Here, we will continue to head north!
              Last edited by Seagull; March 15th, 2011, 11:04. Reason: added link to Qaanaaq photos in the Greenlanders thread

Comment

This thread is so interesting: this place is so intriguing and so picturesque.

I'm glad you are the one to actually travel there and create these wonderful photographs: I would probably bring on myself a heart attack trying to get over everything before the ship sails.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

There is something of that feeling about it even for me! Perhaps it is something to do with the fact that as the ship approaches these settlements you can easily see the entire extent of the place, as I have shown in a couple of photos. And then when you land every single house seems somehow photo-worthy in some way.
                  It is VERY YOU…and I was thinking about what you would be taking, and how you would be composing your images, all the time I was there.
                  (And that was even before all the inspiring images of yours I’ve seen in the intervening 18 months….)

Comment

After having seen your images from Greenland, this is certainly one of the countries which now is a lot more higher up on the list of countries that I want to see.

I would love to spend some time in Greenland, see and experience the remoteness of this place. I would however love to go there on a kind-of live-in with the locals, so that I get the full local experience. I might not want to eat the same kind of food as them though, but I'd love to learn from their personal knowledge of the places.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                      .... I would however love to go there on a kind-of live-in with the locals, so that I get the full local experience. I might not want to eat the same kind of food as them though, but I'd love to learn from their personal knowledge of the places.
                      There do seem to be some tourist agencies that arrange bed-and-breakfast type accommodation. Danish is spoken, though knowing you pakarang I bet you’d soon pick up a smattering of the Inuit languages!

I think it would be hard to decide which towns/settlements to visit on an independently planned trip. In a country where towns are not connected by roads, travel between places is most usually by air (said to be expensive though I have not looked into prices) or in some areas there are coastal ferries, though I have read that they get booked up in the summer and don’t always run to time so one needs to be both well organised in advance and yet very flexible at the time!

I liked the time of year I travelled at the end of summer, hardly any mosquitoes but still likelihood of sunshine as you have seen on my photos. But it would be interesting to see these places in winter, see hunting and dog-sledding on the ice, if one can tolerate the cold.

Comment

After the visit of a local choir aboard Fram, we remained at anchor for a while, until it was time for our guests to leave, and these next two photos were taken from the ship.

Comment

I think I was having dinner when we set sail…and we were still heading north!

Comment

Of the landscape images of the entire voyage, this is the one which most pleases me. I love that it almost looks like a painting, and in that respect it reminds me of much of the work of northern artists, indeed some seen on other Hurtigruten ships, and in galleries in Norway and Iceland. I can almost imagine an artist first sketching that zig-zag boundary between earth and ice, and swear I can see the brush marks as the edge of the ice is delineated before filling in those V shapes. Just two colours on the palatte, blend to form rock and scree. Then the final touches of light ….

I think a lot of things and experiences and feelings somehow came together to make me point the lens in that particular direction at that particular moment, and my finger release the shutter.

Comment

I remained out on deck quite late that evening.

Comment

Indoors, in the café area, the chief officer and expedition team are sharing their own photos and experiences…

…while others try to work out where we are and where we are going…almost too high on the map to reach! The person on the left is pointing to the line of 80°N (about the same latitude as just off the north of Spitsbergen in Svalbard).
                                Between his head and hand, a small red dot marks Qaanaaq. I head up to the lounge to see if the computer tracking screen is working. It is, and I photograph our position and progress before retiring to my cosy cabin.

Comment

Working...
                                X