This is the Arctic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

In the next episode Fram goes on to Qaanaaq, the settlement where the people from Dundas were moved to in 1953.

Comment

wow,what a AWESOME sunset,Cecilia
        best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post

In the next episode Fram goes on to Qaanaaq, the settlement where the people from Dundas were moved to in 1953.
          Absolutely and purely amazing sunset... probably among the top three sunset images I have ever seen in a photograph!

It's so picture perfect and so .... yes, this is a fantastic shot that you should be really proud of.

Got curious about the flag of Greenland so I read through this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Greenland
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Greenland #7 – Qaanaaq (New Thule)

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            Absolutely and purely amazing sunset....
            That sunset photo you’ve been admiring turns out to have actually been sunrise the following morning, so I should have waited for this new instalment to show it to you!

Soon afterwards, (though I suppose I must have fitted in breakfast at some point), I was out on deck taking photos of passing icebergs as Fram neared our next destination, Qaanaaq.

Once again I’ll show you a first view on Fram’s approach, merely to illustrate the extent of the settlement. The icecap can be seen at the top of the photograph. We are at latitude 77° 27´ North.

Comment

It must have felt like a rather extraordinary day for the inhabitants of Qaanaaq with everything happening at once! –as well as Fram’s visit, there was Sea Bird delivering the last supplies of the season.

And that’s not all, for there was a small sailing ship anchored nearby!

Comment

Landing at Qaanaaq…

…and the "blue anoraks" were starting to explore.

Some had disembarked earlier –I don’t know if they will be visible on the reduced resolution images I post, but any little blips seen on the horizon of the mountain are also blue anoraks! – there was an opportunity to spend the day on a hike up there, reaching the icecap. It sounded marvellous, but instead I chose to spend the time seeing how people lived in this far northern place, and I believe many of you will understand my choice:-

If you have followed me around the deserted village in the previous section, you will for sure recognise the place depicted in this simple eloquent painting … and understand why it is here in Qaanaaq.

For Qaanaaq is the place to which most of the people were moved in 1953 with the establishment of the air base at Thule.

Comment

Comment

The Polar Grill has seen better days…

…but the police station is very smart. Note the waste refuse bins, though encouraging their use still has some way to go.

There are modern communications...

…and even an airport nearby.

Comment

As is usual in areas of permafrost, the utilities services run above ground.

The steps bridging them afford good vantage points for photo taking.

Comment

Comment

There are some attractive Danish style houses…

….and a church. I’ll take you inside the church in the next photos.

Comment

Greenland is such an amazing place: so much to see, so much to photograph.

I bet had I been there I would have been exhuasted from running around trying to take a photo of absolutely everything. I would be "speed-sightseeing" all over town to be able see as much as possible in as little time as possible, in order to make it back to the ship before she sailed off.
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I can just imaging you doing that pakarang! –first to get on the Polar Cirkel boat, scurrying around everywhere, and always the last back aboard Fram!

Well, I am not doing so badly myself! Next we are going to visit the church.

The church door.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X