Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Absolutely stunning photographs Cecilia. They really bring together a feeling of isolation and desolation. The second photo at post 134 showing the deserted yellow house with the abandoned cemetery behind it just seemed eerily spooky, there seems to a lot of graves for the size of the settlement, or what i can see in the photos anyway. Must have been so strange to walk around in the silence imaging how it used to be.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Thank you so much Steve, it is good to know that I have managed to convey something of how it felt to be there. I have also included some enlargements and cropped images that have somewhat compensated for my photographic inadequacies at the time! – but can’t you just imagine what pakarang would have made of that “pipe to nowhere” in #133/1 !

The old cemetery

Yes, you have already seen practically all the extent of the settlement on the various views from the ship. Further along the headland is where the turf dwellings of the original Inuit inhabitants were, and I don’t have photos of the remains of these (having got completely absorbed in looking at the later buildings, especially the power plant and others I have still to show you.)

The new cemetery

But I do have a photo of the new cemetery! So there are many more graves, and I don’t know at what point in time the old Cemetery was no longer used or when this new one dates from.

The more I find out about this extraordinary place, the less I feel I know…

Comment

Cecilia, your report is touching me also. I feel a fascination for these polar areas, try to watch all TV reports, read books about Shackleton, Amundsen and all the others. I have to go there some day, but this is so expensive that i will have to wait until the children are grown up.

I am also totally fascinated by the story of Arved Fuchs, who tried three years to cross the North-West-Passage and finally managed it 2004. I watch this TV-report each time they show it in TV. A teaser video you can watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x--DUjGhvEY
            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thank you for that Ralf. There is indeed a lot of interest in these polar regions from your fellow countrymen of the age group of folk with grown up kids, judging by the passengers on the trips I have made both north and south. Greenland is indeed expensive – as you will know from perusing Hurtigruten brochures it is actually more expensive to go to Greenland than to Antarctica, although on the shorter Antarctic trips one does of course spend a lot of the time just getting there and back and staying and travelling in South America. Rather different from the relatively short flight from familiar Copenhagen to the already extraordinary surroundings of Kangerlussuaq.

I think I mentioned somewhere before that one consequence of Fram taking over the Svalbard itineraries is that this year there are no voyages to the extreme far north of Greenland –the places that I have currently reached in this thread, and which you will have realised made a big impression on me.

Comment

After what I have already shown you of Dundas, the sight of a car seems bizarre. DLO – those initials signify “Danish Liason Officer”, responsible for all aspects at the American base that involve Denmark and Greenland. Authorisation of foreign visitors is just one part of that remit – and Fram’s expedition team would have made contact before the passenger landings, even though we were not visiting the base itself, and Dundas lies outwith the American enclave.

Our instructions were to keep to the marked trails on the map on our day information sheet, which also included the request “please don’t walk in the area behind the cemetery which is stated to be of danger because of unexploded ammunition!”
                Whether for safety reasons or otherwise, for sure, base personnel were keeping an eye on us. I am accustomed to defence-related establishments and to some element of surveillance when with geology student field trips granted access to military areas in the UK. But there were a couple of other Europeans from our group (who I chatted to after they asked me to photograph them with Fram in the background) who remarked of this place “it makes us feel America is disconcertingly foreign”.

However, in this photo, the speck of orange anorak is one of our own expedition staff, positioned to indicate our farthest limit beyond which a track winds over North Mountain to the base.

Comment

I headed in the opposite direction to continue my exploration of the abandoned buildings, though this one apparently has occasional use as a “hunters’ cabin”.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Rasmussen's memorial stone marked the 25th anniversary of the establishment of the trading station. The inscription reads:
                        KNUD RASMUSSEN FOUNDED THULE 19.8.1910
                        AND ADMINISTERED THE CAPE YORK DISTRICT
                        UNTIL HIS DEATH 21.12.1933

In the distance can be seen the building that housed a radio station which was in use until the 1980’s, and, on the left, the power plant.

Comment

The radio station:

Comment

This is undoubtedly a 5 STAR FIRST CLASS thread! Just so that it has been mentioned!

Love the Toyota by the way. (love)

The yellow tank on the wall of the red house in post 143, is that the water supply of the house?
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                              This guy looks really familiar, I mean REALLY familiar! Can't place him anywhere though.

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                              What are those pipes leading away from the house?
                              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                                The yellow tank on the wall of the red house in post 143, is that the water supply of the house?
                                Not sure, but possibly.
                                This guy looks really familiar, I mean REALLY familiar! Can't place him anywhere though.
                                I don’t think I have any note of his name unfortunately.
                                What are those pipes leading away from the house?
                                In places where there is permafrost it is usual to see piping for water, drains etc that is usually underground situated above ground.

In this one the water just drains onto the ground at the side of the house.
                                In the case of the red building, it was near the shore and the pipes probably reached onto the beach before they were broken.
                                Last edited by Seagull; February 24th, 2011, 22:17. Reason: added photo

Comment

Working...
                                X