This is Germany / Berlin / Reichstag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Germany / Berlin / Reichstag

This one is for ehp. To come inside the Reichstag, you have either to be member of the visitor program of a political party or you have to queue as normal visitor, which takes you several hours waiting time (depends on weather and day: on this Tuesday in heavy rain it still was more than 45 min).
    In my opinion you can spend this time better, but i think after watching these pictures you can decide by yourself.

The Reichstag with the new dome on it. As you see, terrible weather at this day in Berlin.

Entrance for the normal visitors. The queue is outside (normally 2-4 hours, if the weather is fine):

Entrance for invited visitor groups and school classes (here you have a defined time):
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Familiar picture in our TV news (but then filled with people): Our parliament:

After the war, the Russian soldiers scratched their "graffities" into the walls. These graffities were restored during the refurbishment, to keep these memories alive:

View from inside into the dome, which is a tricky wind powered climate system:

Comment

Most impressing for the visitors is to take the elevator up to the dome and then walk the spirals. One is leading up into the dome, a second one down.

Here again the central climate system, which transports the hot air out of the building and exchanges it by cooler air from outside:

View at the spirals:

At the top of the dome:

Good panorama from there, if the weather is fine. Unfortunately it was not. By the way, down there is the Brandenburger Tor without the borderline...

Comment

Man, you Germans are CLEVER! I LOVE the dome!

I'm so glad they saved the graffiti-- and that they didn't build a new building, but used the old one....

hmmm- might be worth the wait...

and look at the Gate!!! Neat view!

Thanks so much Ralf--very kind of you!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
          Man, you Germans are CLEVER! I LOVE the dome!
          The clever part was to persuade British architect Norman Foster to design it!!!
          (Sorry, just couldn't resist getting that in )
          Stunning photos Ralf. You actually convinced me that if I came to Berlin I would think it worth the queuing.

Comment

As i remember right, a British architect, Mr.Stirling was responsible for the "Staatsgalerie" in Stuttgart and therefore we have a very fine building in Stuttgart, too. Not a bad influence...

Comment

Another great report from Germany by Ralf!!!

How nice this would be if we had many more members like you Ralf, sharing their trips and images with us: the world would be 'our oyster'...

Thank you so very much Ralf: keep it up, I'm enjoying every single part of it!
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
              X