This is Antarctica

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Antarctica

This new thread is where I am very gradually over time going to post photos from a voyage on the Hurtigruten ship Fram in January/February 2009, as well as others from an earlier trip aboard Nordnorge in February/March 2005. It is not a sequence or personal voyage report as such, more a series of impressions and topics, and so of course others fortunate to make a trip to this remote continent can also post here.
    Expect stunning scenery, icebergs, bases and historic sites, seals, whales . . . and lots and lots of penguins!

Things relating more specifically to these two ships will appear in their own pages in the Hurtigruten section.

Although I just said there will be no ordered sequence, it seems nevertheless appropriate to welcome you to this thread, as I was welcomed at Fram’s first landing place, by this cheery-looking chinstrap penguin.

I am excited to see the photographs from your trip. I love Antartica and it's on my list of places to visit.

Comment

The chinstrap penguin is so cute... can't wait for this to start!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

oh I just love this photo, Cecilia! Everyone in my house thinks it's adorable!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
          I am excited to see the photographs from your trip. I love Antartica and it's on my list of places to visit.
          Pilotdane, this one is specially for you. It will surely encourage you to start saving up for a trip right away.

I'm so missing Fram's buffet lunches - I'm going to actually have to DO something to get fed.
          Then post-lunch relaxation will be looking out a cute-penguin-chic-getting-fed photo for pakarang and ehp!

Comment

Love the last ice one, Seagull!!

Hmmm-well, I was thinking about a "mutually inconvenient" location for yet ANOTHER CV meet up (we haven't even had ONE yet....)....Antartica would be about as mutually inconvenient as they come............

Comment

Well, I am already feeling I want to go back . . . yet again!

Feeding time as promised!

Here is a Gentoo penguin chick. I am beginning to realise that the words “cute” and “adorable” are going to appear rather frequently in this thread! However this particular chick is also hungry.

It does look rather as if mom is going to bite chicks head off until you get used to seeing the process of feeding the chick regurgitated krill (a small crustacean, rather like a shrimp).

This is an Adelie penguin, easily recognisable by its black head with white circles around the eyes. The chicks look just like balls of woolly down and can appear as large as their parents.

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                Love the last ice one, Seagull!!
                You want ICE Elizabeth?
                . . . you got ice!

Last edited by Seagull; February 11th, 2009, 18:53.

Comment

Fantastic images .... this promises to become a great thread.

I'm throwing my vote for this thread already! Excellent!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Seagull--these are just wonderful!!!! i can't wait for more!

Comment

Thank you for the great ice picture. I LOVE it. I just made it my screen background.

Those are great penguin photographs. How close were you to them?

Comment

Thank you for the great ice picture. I LOVE it. I just made it my screen background.
                        So you beat me to it...

Comment

I’m pleased the ice proved to be so popular. Much more ice to come of course, but today I thought I’d pick up on pilotdane’s remark:
                          Those are great penguin photographs. How close were you to them?
                          The Antarctic Treaty governs activities in Antarctica, and, through the International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO), their recommendations are communicated to tourists. As you would expect, Hurtigruten are scrupulous in these matters, and it was mandatory to attend the IAATO briefing in order to participate in the landings.
                          A general principle one is told regarding wildlife is to avoid approaching any closer than 5 metres.

However, penguins are curious creatures, and will often approach you, particularly if you are sitting or standing still – so the answer to pilotdane’s question is VERY close! I’ll look out some photos to illustrate the point:

You soon get used to seeing penguins who, not perceiving the humans as a threat, just wander along doing their own thing.

Here a group of tourists are watching and taking photos of a penguin who is standing still, almost seeming to pose for the cameras! Clearly the tourists are mindful of the guidelines.

But see how, as the tourists watch what is going on down the slope to the shore, a curious penguin is coming up behind them!

The ultimate in getting up close and personal was this gentoo chick!

Comment

Here, on Petermann Island, is a typical landing place where the polar cirkel boats are depositing passengers. The group on the right are following a marker line of red flags which the first staff to land have erected to guide us to particularly interesting locations. There, some of the expedition staff (who don’t only just give lectures on board the ship) will be on hand to interpret what is seen and answer questions. But look, the latest group to land have already paused to watch a group of penguins in the red-brown guano covered area amongst the rocks.

See how close you are to the penguins in these small nesting sites which are called rookeries. You mustn’t enter a rookery of course but we had so many opportunities to stand near the edges and marvel at the activity and behaviour of the penguins.

Wow! - just look at the vast area of rookeries up on the higher ground of Half Moon Island, and the huge numbers of penguins there . . .

. . . and at this one on Cuverville Island. These are Gentoo penguins. The colony here is one of the largest known for this species.

Comment

How extraordinary and how unbelievably amazing.....

One day, just once in my life, I shall return to the Antarctic... and that time, it'll be on board Fram as a guest.... first, I have to save up some cash to make it happen.

Penguins are cute.... probably among the cutest animals on earth.

Comment

Working...
                              X