X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Easter journey to french pays basque

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
    You have been taking too much Isagenix.
    Are you speaking about Asterix and Obelix's magical potion?

Comment

Pays Basque is a very special country,with its own culture and language,although French is dominant in the three northern provinces(four Basque provinces are located in Spain).
      Among others particularities ,the pelote game is still amazing for foreigners (what are,in a way,Frenchmen).
      It’s a ball game(as tennis) played bare hand or with a «*chistera*» made of chestnut bark by two teams of two players in a outdoor ground called fronton (one can see them in a lot of tiny villages) or indoor then called trinquet.
      For more informations I suggest the notice on wikipedia Basque Pelota (in English).

Few pictures about.

Comment

Fronton in Asquain

Old champions

Comment

Showcase of chisteras

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
            Are you speaking about Asterix and Obelix's magical potion?
            Oh, no, no, no. I'm referring to your video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfGi4SVqDNY Most impressive.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Oh, no, no, no. I'm referring to your video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfGi4SVqDNY Most impressive.
              He he,Ivy,you've got the video of my little brother.He always was a bit puny!

Comment

In bulk, few features of Pays Basque.
                Churches, here in Sare, are mostly rectangular with only a thin difference of level between the choir and the nave. The decoration is often baroque (Conter Reformation was very active) but the most characteristic elements are those wooden galleries along the aisles where stayed in priority the richer parishioners and men.

Comment

In the cemeteries you will see a lot of disc shaped steles, as you can find in Norway, Sweden, Portugal. Here, it seems to be a pre-Christian practice, the disc could symbolize the god of Sun.

Comment

POTTOK.
                    This little basque horse lives in semi-feral way in the low mountais of Labourd area.
                    In the old days, it was often used by smugglers for business across the French-Spanish border,but also as pit ponies in France and England.Nowadays it is a protected breed, enjoyable to see when hiking on mountain tracks.

Comment

While I've been thinking you have posted again. The picture of the pony is delightful. I had an encounter the other day with something on a larger scale - one of our shires. At least, not one but a whole crowd of them and all very curious about what I was doing. I'll post it later on Animals.
                      But back to this thread. I still keep returning to #8.2, that image in portrait format of a scene which most would show as landscape. I love the criss-cross of the horizontal lines of the harbour walls - horizontal but yet the eye is compelled to move from foreground to distance in a steady vertical line instead of meandering from side to side as in a landscape picture.
                      But now you have captured my eye with that beautiful picture at #22. I'm not overly fond of Baroque architecture but this interior bowls me over. The reason? The beauty of the wooden balconies. The finely wrought spindles of the bench backs and balcony rails form such a satisfying whole. I am a push-over for the skilful use of wood, whether chain-saw statues, rough hewn seats or work such as this and, if standing there in this church glorying in it all, I'd have a difficult time in deciding to leave!
                      That headstone in the following photo reminded me of the ancient Egyptian religions, in particular that of Akhenaten, the Egyptian pharoah who promoted the worship of one god only - the sun. It sent me Wiki hunting and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Aten shows several images of the sun with rays stretching downwards, giving an overall shape as in the headstone. But then any image of the sun as a deity would probably portray a similar design.
                      Ivy

Comment

Thank you for the link,Ivy.The compared ethnology is a fascinating science.

Comment

Piment d’Espelette.
                          Introduced in France by Bayonne harbour from South America during the 17th century and since cultivated around Espelette, this variety of pepper dry at the sun, hung by strings at frontages and balconies.
                          I attest it gives taste to the basque cooking.

Comment

And at last as a conclusion a view of Bayonne which can be considered as the capital of French Pays Basque.
                            Quay along the river Nive.

Comment

I've been Wiki-ing espelette peppers and apparently they have a mere 4000 rating on the Scoville scale. . The highest pepper would come out at over a million, (Wiki says), so maybe I would like this one - used cautiously, as I don't like my tongue being skinned.
                              Ivy

Comment

I've been Wiki-ing espelette peppers and apparently they have a mere 4000 rating on the Scoville scale. . The highest pepper would come out at over a million, (Wiki says), so maybe I would like this one - used cautiously, as I don't like my tongue being skinned.
                                Ivy you live dangerously!

Comment

Working...
                                X