This is Germany: The Black Forest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Germany: The Black Forest

On Sunday we had the first real springtime day with temperatures up to 20°C and did a walk on the "Wiesensteig" trail near Bad Griesbach in the Black Forest. Join us on our way through a valley freshly freed of snow and full of water.

We started to climb up the little river "Wild Rench". On 700m only the conifer trees are green at this time.

Here is a area where sandstone changes with granite. This produces nice water sculptures.

The sun was shining on the creek and made wonderful figures.

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Re: This is Germany: The Black Forest

Each corner and also the smallest side creek was filled with tiny fountains and water falls.

A small, historic weir is opened in springtime to let pass the masses of water during tha last days. You can clearly imagine, how much it was.

We had to cross a number of fords. But they were flooded more than normal and the water had taken away most of the stepstones. So we had to set new ones.

Just this bridge was solid enough.

Last edited by Ralf__; April 16th, 2013, 09:26.

Comment

How did someone get this large stone on that tree? The Skandinavian habit of building stone towers can aslo be found here more and more.

The creek disappeared as the trail made a turn.

How long did we miss a powerful green in the sunlight? Five months!!

Comment

While we rebuilded the fords, a larger group closed up to us and so all met for a second breakfast.

The first toad eggs!

The "cottage-in-the-wood" of a large nearby hotel with two-Michelin-star decorated kitchen (the hotel kitchen, not the cottage kitchen). "Renchtalhütte"

Last edited by Ralf__; April 16th, 2013, 15:13.

Comment

Still a little bit grey, but already smelling and growing: The upper valley.

Nice house arrangement. Beautiful place unless you don't need to buy something, get the kids to school, visit the doctor...

View over the valley.

Comment

Some may recognize this from the "Where is it?"-thread. The "Himmelsliegen".

And a last time sparkling springtime water: Black Forest Sprudel

I hope you enjoyed this tour as much as we did. Winter is over!!

Comment

a great trip Ralf.i have been 2 times in the black forest in my very much younger years,in the little village Leinstetten.
              image 4/2 now i reconise the jelly when we were walking at the river,but we did't know what it was.
              it's the same jelly as your's.
              and what a nice house at 4/5,the vieuw must be awesome.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

Such nice weather and a great day out Ralf. I like the granite and sandstone comparison of course!

Fort? Did you mean ford, which is a place where one can cross a stream easily on foot (or in the case of a larger river drive across like the example PoloUK showed in his photo #87/4 here).

It’s lovely to see the green colour returning on the hills. I really enjoyed your walk, but it’s a bit late in the day for a 3rd breakfast

Comment

Oh yeah, springtime, that's something that we all need on the northern hemisphere! Nice trip report!

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                    Fort? Did you mean ford, which is a place where one can cross a stream easily on foot (or in the case of a larger river drive across like the example PoloUK showed in his photo #87/4 here).
                    Confirmed. I mixed up German and English writing. In German it is "Furt" in English "ford" (strange in our eyes, because this is a car).
                    I am glad you all enjoyed it. I hope i will come back to this thread several times after other trips we are doing there.

Comment

Nice stroll Ralf.
                      It reminds me my trips in Vosges mountains,in the opposite side of the valley.

Comment

What a refreshing thread, Ralf, harbinger of times to come with glimpses of green amongst the greys and browns. I am cheered by the sparkling water in #1.2 and that clear really "liquid" water falling over the rock.
                        I like the do-it-yourself stepping-stones across the ford, and was amused by that huge rock placed on the tree-stump. How did they do it? Ask the builders of Stonehenge how they put the lintels on! It's strange about cairn building, isn't it? There used to be one on top of Snowdon, it's probably still there, and I found that one at the Geraldton memorial in Western Australia. There seems to be some compulsion to place your own contribution on the pile, some sort of communication... fellow feeling.... with other people.
                        This is a beautiful record of your walk, Ralf, and Black Forest Sprudel... what a scene to end with. Thank you.
                        Last edited by wherrygirl; April 16th, 2013, 11:54.
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                        X