X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Scotland 2013

While much of the UK has been stuck in winter conditions, western highlands and islands of Scotland have been dry and sunny. Unfortunately this has also brought with it wildfires (passengers on Discovery, southbound from Norway, could even see them). The fires started last week and have continued daily.

Smoke is now blowing down the loch again and I've just heard a third siren from a fire engine going out. These fire engines come from other communities to assist our own crew. The crews are volunteers, most of whom have their own jobs or businesses and have been working almost non-stop throughout.

Some photos on this Facebook page and I'm going to go out and try to get some photos of my own to share here. The message is We're Open for Visitors, but please take care not to start a fire.
    Last edited by Gaelsail; April 1st, 2013, 16:27.

Re: This is Scotland 2013

Smoke, soon after the fire started

still alight on day 2, burning back on itself, snow on the nearby hill

and today's fire.

I'm not going out to take any more photos because I don't want to get in the way . We came back a different road this afternoon.

Comment

Whoa - frightening. Isn't this particularly early in the year for this sort of thing?

Like you say, down here in the tropical south it's freezing, windy and not awfully pleasant.

Thanks for sharing the photos, hope all returns to normal soon.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I know you've not been having it so bad as down south recently, but I didn't hear about the wildfires. As Mark says, it's strange to have those conditions so early in the year.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I wouldn't say the fires are very early, we often have mild winters and fires do break out in the spring. What is unusual is the long spell of sunny/dry weather while the rest of the country has had winter conditions.

I think the number of visitors we're getting is also small, possibly because they don't know we're having good weather or, because they cannot get through the winter conditions to get here.

Comment

Another photograph, this time from Fort William, our nearest town. Photo credit: Ian D.Cameron

Last edited by Gaelsail; April 2nd, 2013, 15:04.

Comment

Refuelling the Calmac ferry, Loch Fyne, this afternoon

Comment

We actually had some rain this afternoon, heavy enough to switch on the windscreen wipers! It will take some time for the effects of the drought to recover.

The river yesterday when I drove across the bridge

and the old fish trap is visible in the loch at low tide

When the hillside is green and the undergrowth is thick, you don't see the rocks on the side of the hillside. Hopefully it will be green again soon, perhaps also covered with heather.

Comment

I’m a bit late catching up on this thread. Amazing to see and hear about the fires, and especially for me here in Edinburgh –it seemed like a totally different country. Definitely a story of two coasts here weather-wise these last couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                    I’m a bit late catching up on this thread. Amazing to see and hear about the fires, and especially for me here in Edinburgh –it seemed like a totally different country. Definitely a story of two coasts here weather-wise these last couple of months.
                    Its crazy isn't it? We've been hearing the stories from Edinburgh and the rest of the east coast.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                      Another photograph, this time from Fort William, our nearest town. Photo credit: Ian D.Cameron

This image is really scary I think..... forest and grass fires are nothing to take lightly at all.
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Introducing Lady Kathryn. We happened to find this little ship on the Caledonian Canal this morning- we've been waiting for a year to be introduced properly

Next- for the afternoon tea cruise sometime soon
                        (photos courtesy of Lady Kathryn's owner)

Comment

That last picture - the food - looks very nice! Delicious I bet!
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

That last picture - the food - looks very nice! Delicious I bet!
                            The loaf of bread looks very tasty indeed.

I've got a few pictures of Scotland and the Shetland islands to post but I'm not sure if it is the right place in this thread. They are from the beginning of a cruise starting in Aberdeen (I can split the whole thing in different threads but there may be some I won't know where to post ...).

Comment

Originally posted by PanjiS View Post
                              I've got a few pictures of Scotland and the Shetland islands to post but I'm not sure if it is the right place in this thread. They are from the beginning of a cruise starting in Aberdeen (I can split the whole thing in different threads but there may be some I won't know where to post ...).
                              Just found your post- still trying to catch up. I think this is definitely the right place for photos of Aberdeen & Shetland if you've not posted them somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X