Wherrygirl Wanderings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wherrygirl Wanderings

I thought I'd devote a single thread to showing visits to various places, whether it is for a day or for a longer period, so long as there are several images conveying a "feel" for the area, what I had seen and what had interested me.
    The first is a long-delayed account of my two holidays in the Netherlands, the days when I was not with Thijs, his family and Ralf. Descriptions of those great days are for 2011 here and for 2012 here.
    So let's go:

Seen in a baker's shop window near the station in Den Bosch last year.
    Last edited by wherrygirl; December 14th, 2013, 18:06.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Re: Where's Wherrygirl?

De Moriaan at a corner of the Markt, said to be Den Bosch's first mediaeval brick building and which now houses the city's Tourist Information Office. Very tricky to manage a photo of this without masses of tourists adorning the steps!
    Last edited by wherrygirl; April 1st, 2013, 20:00.
    Ivy

Comment

Still in the Markt and newer, (still old though), is the Town Hall, built in 1670. Somehow I could never quite coincide with the times when parts of this building were open to visitors. But the exterior is impressive.

From the oldest to the narrowest, squashed between the Town Hall and the modern department store to the right.

The department store. I like that style very much and was not disturbed by its contrast with the rest of the buildings in the Markt. It's a market place - variety is all to the good, I thought, so long as the facade is not banal and lacking interest.
      Last edited by wherrygirl; April 1st, 2013, 12:46.
      Ivy

Comment

FINALLY the images of Wherrygirl's holiday's.
        so this is how Den Bosch looks like.
        great images Ivy, gimmi more.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

OK Thijs, more coming - lots, then you'll wish you'd never asked.

The city is commonly known as Den Bosch (The Wood) the shorter and also older name, although 's-Hertogenbosch is apparently its official name. It is a charming mediaeval city and I fell in love with what little I saw of it back in 2006 when staying in Tilburg, North Brabant, on my Van Gogh trail.
          One miserable wet, windy day I took the train to Den Bosch, but on the way it became windier and wetter, the rain beating on the windows almost outdoing the gentle hum of the wheels. After a determined head-down plod to try and justify my journey, seeing from beneath my umbrella the puddles on the cafe tables set hopelessly outside and the woebegone faces of the owners inside, my umbrella blew inside out. That's it, I decided, getting wetter. Back to the station, on to the train and, muttering dark things to myself, back to my hotel.
          The weather had been like that most of the time and I eventually flew back early, the extra airfare more or less balanced by the refund the hotel gave me. But I had seen Den Bosch. I would be back.
          The central part is a conservation area - deservedly so. The conservatory-restaurant of my hotel opened on to the huge, irregularly shaped market square although the actual entrance was up a dingy, narrow backstreet overshadowed by the multi-storey car-park. On first arriving I wondered where on earth I had come to, and I know that Thijs' thoughts when he first came with Ralf to have dinner that Friday evening in 2011 were much on the same lines - what sort of a dump has Ivy found? But it was fine once inside. So much so that I returned last year.
          The hotel was not far from the Moriaan building at #2, just down the side, turn right and along a bit. But instead of going in, go further on, a couple of twists and unexpectedly you find this:

A pair of lovers and a jester, while on the top of the fountain is Dieske. Dieske lived in the 15th century and, the story goes, had a habit of urinating in the Binnendieze (the partly underground canals which wind around the city and once used to carry sewerage). One day, while performing from on top of the town walls where he had been playing he spied a group of soldiers approaching. Rushing to warn the guards, they sounded the alarms, clanged shut the town gates and everyone was saved.

Those steps behind the jester - we'll go down there next.
          Ivy

Comment

A delightful and alliteratively-titled thread Ivy, a good companion to “Ditjes en Datjes of Janihudi” and “Polo's Bits and Pieces”.

Comment

Great stuff Ivy - really enjoying these, and the stories that go with them. I look forward to seeing more!
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thank you, Cecilia and Mark.

My first encounter with the little group of bronzes in 2011 took me by surprise. I had decided to turn right out of the hotel instead of to my left as usual. Left was towards the Markt with its laid-back cafes always full of people enjoying life, gossiping away, and the various streets leading off in all directions inviting me to explore. Right had always seemed dingy although it was the quick way to El Toro as I found out later.
                So I'd walked a few yards, then a right bend, left bend and suddenly there was this funny little open space. On the left was a high wall, the foliage covered one in the photos above, while to the right solid gateways seemed to be rear entrances of shops. It was a little backwater and there the delightful bronze statues stood, almost as if they had been put there for a few moments while the owner had popped off somewhere. There was a way out just beyond them but it was not an obvious one.
                Another way out, even less obvious, was down those steps, which led to a canal (is there anywhere in Holland that doesn't?):

and further along the boardwalk I couldn't resist this one, a jigsaw puzzle of shapes and reflections with just the faintest shimmer on the water:

I looked up to above the bridge and wondered if I could get up there without a round tour of the city:

Ivy

Comment

What a wonderful thread, Ivy. You have certainly caught the local atmosphere with a lot of these images.

Love those bronze statues, and like you, i would not have been able to resist going down those steps to see what i could find.

Thank you for these very interesting tours, i look forward to seeing where you take us next.
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Thank you, Steve, I'm really pleased that you are enjoying it.

If you look at the second photo in the previous post, on the right edge you'll see a knob which is the end of a hand rail up some steps. You don't see these until you are right up by the bridge. Once on the street above a very wide, short street branches back leading to the doorway I had been looking at from down by the canal.

I think this door was once the entrance to the grounds of the hospital, you can see at the left of the door what was probably the bell pull. After I had taken my photo the camera somehow slipped out of my grasp and crashed on to the concrete. I gasped, a couple sitting on a nearby bench gasped, then watched anxiously as I checked the camera, took the next photo, revued it, sighed with relief and then it was smiles all round!

The coat of arms of the city. The tree is obviously representative of the name Den Bosch, there is the German eagle, and somewhere I saw mentioned that the lions were the lions of Limburg, the entirely separate southernmost province of The Netherlands. So that all leaves me confused and Google isn't helping, either. Thijs?????!!
                    Ivy

Comment

not at this moment Ivy,just been home,and stuffing my food through my throat.
                      so wil look later.
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                        stuffing my food through my throat.
                        Strange man, I always put mine in my mouth.
                        Thijs, you're so late home, is he punishing you for having an Easter holiday, for goodness sake? My question can wait, you must rest ready for tomorrow.
                        Ivy

Comment

Another pair of lovers, this time easily visible from a distance and not hidden in a secluded corner, though needless to say they are by a canal! These bronzes are such a contrast to the delicacy of the first ones, their smooth, simple body shapes leaving you to concentrate on the detail and expression of the faces. Their very stance compels you to go and look closer:

Last edited by wherrygirl; April 3rd, 2013, 00:13.
                          Ivy

Comment

I said the pair of statues above were near a canal and this is it. Much wider than the little one with the boardwalk which I went along in the earlier photo, it runs parallel to the River Dommel which I'll show soon, and further down beyond the bridge it actually joins that river. A delightful stroll along this section proved very attractive - so peaceful although at the point where the statues are you are on the very busy main road from the station.

Ivy

Comment

Back to the bronzes:

Turning to the left it is only a few steps to the Wilhelminabrug, the bridge over the River Dommel:

A short distance from the name stone is this memorial:

This is to Piet Kerssens, a Dutch soldier whose division was fighting alongside the 53rd Welsh Division in the battle to free Den Bosch in October, 1944. He was shot while going to help a wounded British soldier.

Straightening up, I took a view across the bridge. Next post will show a closer view of that tower with the two crowns at the far end of the bridge. It has some interesting carvings.

Ivy

Comment

Working...
                              X